Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Don't most all diesels have a block heater? I know my 97 F250 and my 11 F250 both did. Never used it on the 11, but did often on the 97. You could idle from now on and not get the engine as warm as the heater would within 2 hours. Crank up and head out and have heat instantly to boot.

Heat but no brakes. Need 5 -10 min.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #162

What gets me most is the inconsiderate people who are not willing to consider how their or their children, dogs, trucks or generators are affecting other campers. What is even more rediculous is the same people who expect you to follow common courtesy rule but go ballistic if you mention your desire for them to do the same. This is when I will have a very loud and rude response.

Camping is a place to go enjoy your time and forget the crap of everyday life including other peoples intolerances. When this happens we might as well stay home and yell at the neighbors dogs and kids. At least we are already established there.

If we prefer to let our truck idle for 30 minutes but cut back to 10 in favor of the fellow campers you deserve . If your kids are being a little rambunctious and the friendly neighbor asks if they can tune down just a little and your respond in a friendly manner you both deserve a . Bottom line is let's all , and enjoy the days away from the daily grind.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #163
Happy Keystone Owner

I wonder if all these air brake equipped owners actually know how to test their air brake systems. If they are leaking all of their air pressure they obviously have a leak. Not that I care that you idle (idol whatever) your engine...I breathe it every day. Nothing like a cold morning start! As a matter of fact, if your air system is empty might I suggest bumping the R's to about 1500rpm? please!
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #164

My coach system takes about 10 minutes idling to air up and be safe to drive....sometimes a few minutes less. I always feel bad about the noise, generator, etc..especially if I have to leave early...but after reading some of these posts I don't know if I will care going forward... (just kidding)....some of you need to lighten up, I think I may have met one of you on the road....(the guy that would not wave or talk to me when I waved and offered an adult beverage). I am just glad 99% of those I meet in the campgrounds I have been to are all GOOD CONSIDERATE PEOPLE! Enjoy!
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #165

I'll take that beverage.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #166

I'm surprised golf carts haven't been mentioned more than they have. One of our favorite campgrounds on the Chesapeake Bay on Virginias eastern shore seem to be more of a golf cart event than anything. The same people ride around all day every day. Seems like that would get boring after awhile. My campsite doesn't change every 15 minutes, they don't need to keep coming around looking at everyone while making a bunch of unnecessary noise.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #167

I'm surprised any of us own campers or even go camping with all these complaints.

Live and let live guys.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I'm surprised any of us own campers or even go camping with all these complaints.

Live and let live guys.
that's pretty much the purpose of this thread. If there was a thread about what we like about camping, it would be much more popular with many more types of responses as this one.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #169
Mod free 5er

Don't think anyone has said they quit camping because of what irritated them. I think the thread is good that it brings to light what bothers them and maybe it might open someone's eyes that they just might be guilty of bothering fellow campers without even being aware that something they are doing is an irritant to someone else. Other's have more or less stated that they would continue to do it regardless. That's what makes the world go around. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #170

But on the flip side of these this there is NOTHING more bothersome than the herds of little kids at Walmart that their parents come to Walmart and just let them go with zero supervision or regard for other people!!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #171
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
But on the flip side of these this there is NOTHING more bothersome than the herds of little kids at Walmart that their parents come to Walmart and just let them go with zero supervision or regard for other people!!
That's true everywhere now days, restaurants, airports and especially on airplanes. The little darlings must be able to 'express' themselves. I don't fault the kids, it's the parents that are the culprits.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #172

this is why there are so many different types of campgrounds. From peaceful state parks to busy crowded family parks with pools, waterparks, activities, etc. Don't go to the latter of the two and complain of the noise.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #173

I think I'm going to pick up one if these for my kids to cruise the campground with the dogs in back.

TURBO DIESEL GOLF CART.....BLUE JAY CARTS - YouTube

State's we've RVed in
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #174
NELA

There's one state park that DH and I really don't care much about returning to. Last year we made the newb mistake of going there for July 4th. There's a group (or herd as some of you describe it) of five RVers/families that frequent that park. They tend to camp 3 RVs on one side of the road and 2 on the other side.

When we arrived (at dusk) there were children, children's bicycles, trikes, skate boards, you name it, all out in the road between them. This (older) park has narrow roads with an approximate 4-6" drop off the blacktop with no shoulder. It appeared the herd considered it a great sport to watch and see if DH could maneuver through all that without dropping off the blacktop. Adults just stood there, arms crossed, grinning while DH traversed that MESS with our former V-Lite. OK, so we survived that.

Then come dark thirty the rock and rap music started blaring and the booze started flowing. At 3 AM they were still going, 3 spaces between us and the herd and it was like they were in our RV with us, not kidding. Some of them were *literally* holding each other up as they staggered back and forth between the various RVs, from one side of the road to the other, one actually pausing to upchuck.

I walked down to the camp host's RV the next morning and explained the situation. Just got a shrug and "yes, we have had several complaints". Next night? Same scene. Back to the camp host and got "we talked to them and there's really nothing more we can do".

One child (about 3 years old) on a plastic big wheel trike thought it was great fun to run his trike at Fred (our dog). Once he ran at my heels with that blasted thing. Grandmother stood and laughed. Then once while I was taking Fred on to one of the hiking trails that child decided HE was going with us, come hell or high water. No matter how many times I stopped and told him to go back, with granny standing outside, he kept following me. I did NOT want to walk into the woods with that child following me. Finally a friend of the family (or so he said) came to the edge of the woods where I stood, refusing to go further, and took him back kicking and screaming.

Seriously? granny was going to let that child chase a total stranger into the woods? (evidently they brought the grandparents along in their RV to baby sit the small ones while they got crap-faced)

We've been back a few times, and on at least 2 more occasions we've seen that same "herd" there, but thankfully we've been on the other side of the park from them.

I choose not to be confrontational. We just exercise our freedom of choice. WAY too many GREAT local parks around here to put up with that mess. And there's way too many *expensive* things a mad/drunk person can DO to your RV if they can catch you away from it.

That's been our only bad experience so far and we learned quickly to avoid camping on holidays. Go the weekend before, or the weekend after....ahhhh bliss!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #175

We used to have that in Michigan State parks but they got very tough in alcohol in the parks. Mostly it's a rule enforced when things get loud our on holidays. Camping next to that is no fun.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #176

Outside entertainment systems

I didnt think it was a big deal until we camped next to a family in Il. They kept the outside TV on 24/7. Holding myself back from commenting on ol 40 minute warm up guy.
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
I think I'm going to pick up one if these for my kids to cruise the campground with the dogs in back.

TURBO DIESEL GOLF CART.....BLUE JAY CARTS - YouTube

More money than common since. Good thing I don't have
money.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
We used to have that in Michigan State parks but they got very tough in alcohol in the parks. Mostly it's a rule enforced when things get loud our on holidays. Camping next to that is no fun.
Many of Ga's state parks not only have the rule, but it's posted at CG entrances, which I greatly prefer. I'm not a fan of drunks especially when they're making sure I know they're drunk.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
that's pretty much the purpose of this thread. If there was a thread about what we like about camping, it would be much more popular with many more types of responses as this one.
i think this thread is great....i for one value the (reasonable ) opinions and preferences of my fellow campers and generally go out of my way to avoid anything that would bother others (my own family not included..LOL)

i have an outside tv, kids, modified golf cart, mtn bikes, and even take my radio controlled trucks and helis with me on occasion....even WITH adult beverages in the mix i have NEVER had anyone complain about my actions save for a few totally idiotic grumblings from totally unreasonable individuals with absurd expectations on camping (see my previous post on old man who cussed at me at 9pm for not having my kids and my neighbors kids in bed)...

no one likes to be woken up.....no one likes the neighbors camp smoke blowing right in their trailer, no one likes the 3am loud n roudys, no one likes yapping dogs.....i think we all agree on that...at the end of the day there are some things you can control and some you cant.....but dont mean we cant come on here and bi*ch and moan....LOL

what it boils down to is that those who are on these forums are more than likely NOT the ones being bad neighbors.....its the ones who have no idea and make no effort to learn the "ways".........i feel like i would get along with pretty much anyone of the individuals who post on here as my neighbor.......save for the gas vs diesel and how i waste my money arguements...hahahahahah!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
There's one state park that DH and I really don't care much about returning to. Last year we made the newb mistake of going there for July 4th. There's a group (or herd as some of you describe it) of five RVers/families that frequent that park. They tend to camp 3 RVs on one side of the road and 2 on the other side.

When we arrived (at dusk) there were children, children's bicycles, trikes, skate boards, you name it, all out in the road between them. This (older) park has narrow roads with an approximate 4-6" drop off the blacktop with no shoulder. It appeared the herd considered it a great sport to watch and see if DH could maneuver through all that without dropping off the blacktop. Adults just stood there, arms crossed, grinning while DH traversed that MESS with our former V-Lite. OK, so we survived that.

Then come dark thirty the rock and rap music started blaring and the booze started flowing. At 3 AM they were still going, 3 spaces between us and the herd and it was like they were in our RV with us, not kidding. Some of them were *literally* holding each other up as they staggered back and forth between the various RVs, from one side of the road to the other, one actually pausing to upchuck.

I walked down to the camp host's RV the next morning and explained the situation. Just got a shrug and "yes, we have had several complaints". Next night? Same scene. Back to the camp host and got "we talked to them and there's really nothing more we can do".

One child (about 3 years old) on a plastic big wheel trike thought it was great fun to run his trike at Fred (our dog). Once he ran at my heels with that blasted thing. Grandmother stood and laughed. Then once while I was taking Fred on to one of the hiking trails that child decided HE was going with us, come hell or high water. No matter how many times I stopped and told him to go back, with granny standing outside, he kept following me. I did NOT want to walk into the woods with that child following me. Finally a friend of the family (or so he said) came to the edge of the woods where I stood, refusing to go further, and took him back kicking and screaming.

Seriously? granny was going to let that child chase a total stranger into the woods? (evidently they brought the grandparents along in their RV to baby sit the small ones while they got crap-faced)

We've been back a few times, and on at least 2 more occasions we've seen that same "herd" there, but thankfully we've been on the other side of the park from them.

I choose not to be confrontational. We just exercise our freedom of choice. WAY too many GREAT local parks around here to put up with that mess. And there's way too many *expensive* things a mad/drunk person can DO to your RV if they can catch you away from it.

That's been our only bad experience so far and we learned quickly to avoid camping on holidays. Go the weekend before, or the weekend after....ahhhh bliss!
That was PARTY WAGONS disguised as RV camping units for drunks.

All that noise and disturbance had to be in violation of civility rules at 3 a.m. Then it was allowed to be repeated subsequent days/nights. I wonder if they had a connection to the park manager – especially since you observed the same crowd multiple times.

People such as what you have described need to gather in a field on their own property away from others.

Fortunately, we have never had that experience. However, if I do and it is a Louisiana State Park and the manager fails to enforce compliance, I am going to collect as much documentation as possible – especially electronic media – and send to the Lt. Governor since the parks are under his domain.

In our state, public owned parks are promoted as family orientated facilities, as an entity for participation in outdoor activities, and as an element for discovery and experience of the natural environment. What you witness teaches our youth just the opposite of park design and intent.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping