Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #1

Camping with dogs ?

i have been thinking of getting a dog, i have had dogs in the past but it been a long time, i am wondering whats the pros and cons to camping with a dog

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #2

Biggest con is too many places that won't allow pets, regardless of how well trained they are.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pros are the same as being a dog owner at home. A dog makes a great companion while camping.

Cons: Many of the problems (barking, aggressiveness, etc) people have when camping with their dog is due to a lack of training or poor training (of both the dog and the owner). Plan on spending a lot of time and effort in training if you are going to camp. A well-trained dog is a happy dog.

Other issues will crop up when camping with even a well-trained dog. Dogs tie you down somewhat and might limit activities. You shouldn't leave them alone for a long time. Heat is always a concern in the summer.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #4

As part of the family, I couldn't imagine not having her with us. We had two and are now down to one. Mine were not extremely well behaved but would mind there own if left alone. They were champions in the trailer when left alone. We ran all the fans and the radio with the AC on to ensure as much outside noise stayed outside.

My activities included my dogs. Walks and hikes and kayaking and cycling. Like most people that consider their dogs as family your lifestyle will include them. If there is an activity that excludes them my wife usually didn't want to go either! I spent six weeks on the road last summer with the two of them and everything was fine.

I would say that the beach time is limited somewhat, however the beach barker is the one that passed so that may change this year.

Dogs are a great reason to be active.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We would never be without our dogs. But, that being said, they can be a problem if: It's hot out, you're traveling, you want to stop at a restaurant. Many National Parks out West are far from dog friendly bordering on dog hostile; can't be on trails, can't be left unattended in the campground. But what great companions dogs are in the National Forests. Nice and warm on those cold mountain nights. Great hiking and kayaking companions. Ours travel well. Smaller dogs are easier than bigger dogs IMO; but that is obviously a matter of personal perference.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #6

It really depends on the breed of dog. Pit bulls I'd say no way. Labs, I'd say go for it. Well, I am not limiting myself to strictly Labs, but the good camping dogs is sort of a short list. It must be a friendly happy breed that enjoys the outdoors, swimming, walking that sort of thing. A dog that loves people and is well trained is a joy to have. They can be a problem at times, like when they absolutely have to go out at 11 and you went to bed at 10. Also cleaning up their poop is a hassle. But overall they can be so much fun to have around. Great companionship for DW if I decide to go shooting or fishing and there is no room for him on the pontoon boat.
BTW if a campground does not want my dog I do not want to spend my money there.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #7

We have a 3-legged pit bull (rescued from dog fighting) that is the sweetest dog I've ever owned. She loves people, can't get enough cuddling and attention. I've taken her hiking, geocaching, Jeeping, and can't wait to take her in the TT this coming season. Pitties get a bad rap, mostly from people that don't know alot about the breed. Most of their "problems" can be placed squarely on the humans that train (or don't train) them. Don't be knocking on pits, man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
BTW if a campground does not want my dog I do not want to spend my money there.
Amen to that, brother...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #8

i have been thinking of a English Bulldog.... lots of great input ....thanks

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #9

We've been all over with our 60# Treeing Walker Coon Hound. Haven't found a CG yet that didn't accept pets. We love traveling with ours and she loves camping.
The only "con" I can think of is if we leave to go site seeing, we limit our time so we don't leave her alone too long. We do have a large crate that we keep her in the fiver when we go away, just as we do at home.
Most other cons are other people who don't do anything about their dog constantly barking or yapping or owner's that don't clean up after their dog.
If you want a dog to go camping with, go for it. Be a good owner and your fellow campers will aprietiate it.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #10

We have been traveling with our dogs for years both in our various campers and in our vehicles having to find pet friendly hotels. Although there are some drawbacks (as talked about) the positives out way the negatives in my opinion. It seems as if we meet many more people when we are out walking with our boys-animal lovers are just good folk in general. Dogs get you out and about. Were it not for ours I would probably not take the walks that I take choosing instead to sit in my chair and read. We have found great dog parks on our travels and some really good dog beaches (SanDiego has an awesome dog beach)!
Having said all of this, we dog owners do need to be respectful of those that do not own them.
I say go for it and enjoy.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #11

They are a ton of fun! But as much as we plan our travels around them, it limits us with what we can do once at our destination...

Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201
They are a ton of fun! But as much as we plan our travels around them, it limits us with what we can do once at our destination...
Yep! We have taken our dogs to doggie day care; Moab, Detroit.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
i have been thinking of getting a dog, i have had dogs in the past but it been a long time, i am wondering whats the pros and cons to camping with a dog

dan
If you want a lap dog then I would suggest a toy poodle. They travel well and are small. If you want a larger dog or barking breed you may run into problems at the campgrounds and neighbors.

Many campground do restrict the number of animals as well as some breeds lit Pit Bulls.

I think the question you must answer is what type of dog do you want first.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #14

Biken, In your first picture above of the four dogs what breed is the one in the background?
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 AM   #15

Donn, all four are Akitas. The two closest to the camera are long hairs (woolies), and the standard haired girl farthest from the camera is our oldest (11+ years). They are great dogs.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote