Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Camping world survey by RV Travel

RV Travel (online mag) did a survey of folks that purchased an RV from Camping world. Things didn't go well for CW. RV Travel asked:
Very Happy with purchase 9%
Feel Pretty Good 26%
Not Happy 17%
Very Unhappy
Regret Buying from CW 47%

732 responses and 64% no happy with CW.

Here is the article.
https://rvtravel.com/camping-world-c...eply-lopsided/

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

I think the video posted earlier about CW by HappyCamper1962 sort of explains the poor survey results
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

WOW !!! common sense would tell them they need to fix their reputation. Not rocket science, sell a camper at a fair price, if there is a trade in give the owner a fair price, if it breaks FIX IT. There is no need to treat people un fairly.
Camping world just purchased a dealer ship in my area, talking with the family owned dealership that I purchased my Windjammer from they have not seen a difference in sales. It would appear that Camping World has no impact on local dealers at least in my part of Virginia.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #4

I'm just curious since we've only bought supplies or parts at CW. How is their warranty support? Is it like dealing with regular dealerships where they say "we only do warranty work on what we sell"? Is the wait time for getting in and the time to do the work as long as it has been at other dealerships?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #5

I refuse to shop at CW anymore. I have shopped a couple time but even my shopping experience sucked.. I'd never even consider buying an rv from them.
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #6

Cw rv sales

I have to say, I would return to Camping World to purchase a new RV. Our current Wildwood came at a very competitive price with no one backing us into a corner to buy it. They did a good job showing us other competitive models. When they gave us their price for our trade-in Pioneer trailer, we were quite happy.We financed the RV with them (although we paid it off soon after) and were happy with that end of the purchase. Our only problem is with Service. I won't take my Wildwood back to them for service for 2 reasons: the wait period can be 3 or 4 months, and the quality of service is not that good.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #7

Didn't ask me because they knew I would have ripped them a new one.....horrible place and we went to 3 in the same day and the same bs from all. Lost leader to get you in there to scam you.
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #8

Ah, another thread ripping CW for doing what most other RV dealers do also.

We frequently stop at CW and enjoy shopping in their stores and their RV sales, wherever we are. We don't really see the difference between them and most other dealers except that CW has a lot more to pick from.

I've never bought any vehicle or RV where the sales and finance didn't try sell you a lot of crap you don't need and get all of your $$$ that they can. It's up to you to not let them.

As far as good/expedient warranty service after the sale, it's practically non-existent at any RV dealer. So we never go back to any dealer for service. If you do, that's your choice and you know what to expect.

As far as their parts store, we enjoy them. Sometimes we even find great deals.

So no, we don't feel CW is evil. Could they be better? Absolutely, just like any other RV dealer.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #9

Just made trade and purchase through CW. I knew what I wanted before I when in on both trade and purchase and walked away Very Happy!!! I look for sale and coupons from CW and use them and will continue to do so. My advise is to anyone wanting to buy from CW is to have your "ducks in a row" and you'll have no problems!!

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #10

For me.....I make sure I know what I want as far as name brand items and if they go on sale then I shop there.
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

We bought from CW. Unless I wanted to drive more than 4hrs it was our only option based on the model we wanted. We bought at the RV show. Pricing was competitive because we were at the show... They were quick to get it to us. They tried to sell a warrenty which we didn't buy (as has always happened on all our vehicle purchases as well). It was aggressive but not overly so. You simply had to say no 3 or 4 times.

The PDI was not great but at the time we knew no better. The first year warrenty I only called about one issue a leaky propane pigtail and they wanted me to tow the trailer in 40mi to look at it so I ate the $6 and swapped it myself. This should have been caught in PDI. They also never dewinterized because it was Feb but we got lucky on water systems and I knew enough to get by to make it work. With forums I now understand very well.

In the end they never provided a few screens from the PDI and failed to get the water compartment open at all like they said they would but I also did not feel like I needed them to help and never really followed up so I don't put that all on them. If I knew nothing about it and did not have the forum I would likely be upset.

I would say that I didnt have the best experience (only known after the fact) but I did not have a poor one either. Would I buy there given a choice, depends on price for me. Unless there is someone with a stellar service department and no wait I don't think I would be swayed either way besides price.

Until some vendor provides superior service and everyone is willing to pay more to go there nothing really changes in the industry so to me it is net neutral.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #12

Campiong world had a ad saying they had 2 2017 new toy haulers on clearance. I called the day before and they said yes we have 2. I went in the next day and the sales guy was rude, he wouldnt show me any trailers without giving him my personal information. I asked for a different sales guy since he was being so rude. he went to his manager and then asked me what trailer I was looking for and I told him. he continued to say they sold the last one this morning. Well concidering they just frikin opened and I was the only customer in the sore, I'd say he was a liar or it was a bait and switch BS to get people in door.!!!!
ProAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

I didn't buy my Coachmen Class C from them but have had a number of upgrades done by the Saukville, WI, store as I often drive right by there. They've done a fine job and I've found the staff to be courteous and helpful. They are not the cheapest for labor, but prices for parts or accessories are competitive and they have a lot! I agree with previous post that they're no worse than many RV dealers, and maybe better in some locals.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #14

Hate CW. Having said that, bought two TTs from Lazy Days in Seffner Fl...you can get a good deal from LD if you’re prepared to negotiate. But, as soon as you sign and pay, they could care less about you. Terrible customer support. Don’t know how you’re treated if you spend a couple hundred thousand with them on a motor home, though. For the most part, the rv industry stinks....from construction to price.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #15
Canadian Member

Interesting. Has RV Travel done the same survey of a large sample of all new RV purchasers (not just CW) to see what the industry average is to be able to compare CW’s survey results? That CW-only survey would be more meaningful if the larger all-dealers survey found the average rating across all dealers is significantly better than CW’s rating. There are plenty of negative reviews around this forum for dealers other than CW.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #16

I am sure all Camping World store locations and the cultures are different, some good. and some very very terrible. I needed some parts to repair a busted awning arm when some guy towing a trailer come around the corner in our lane running us off the road. I thought we were going to die that day. Please folks, keep your rigs in your own lanes. You are not the only one on the road!!! Anyway, I went to Camping Word to get some repair parts, as soon as the parts counter man realized how much it was going to cost, he went out into the shop and grabbed some good used parts and gave them to me from an awining they just replaced. Business succeed on the employees who work for them, not the executives who think they know how to manage a business successfully. For me, Camping World will always be a resource to me as other RV stores.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #17

Have not purchased an RV from CW but all other purchases have been a good experience.
Have dealt with many, many different RV Dealers in the local area that we happen to be in at the time of need and have both good and very bad experiences at independent RV Dealers.
One in fact, in Texas, I had to order parts for my 34 ft CC on two different times a year apart. In both cases, waited for a couple of weeks with no replies and then called. They had no info on my orders ( both years )
Do not deal with them any more.
Other than that particular RV dealer, My experiences have been favorable, helpful and honest.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #18

In their defense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProAngler View Post
Campiong world had a ad saying they had 2 2017 new toy haulers on clearance. I called the day before and they said yes we have 2. I went in the next day and the sales guy was rude, he wouldnt show me any trailers without giving him my personal information. I asked for a different sales guy since he was being so rude. he went to his manager and then asked me what trailer I was looking for and I told him. he continued to say they sold the last one this morning. Well concidering they just frikin opened and I was the only customer in the sore, I'd say he was a liar or it was a bait and switch BS to get people in door.!!!!
I'm not one to defend Camping World (very little experience with them), but in their defense, the preparation and approval of an ad (radio, TV, or newsprint) probably takes place a week before the ad sees daylight. They really had a week to sell those two toy haulers.

Regardless, they didn't need to be rude. They could have politely shown you other units.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
I'm not one to defend Camping World (very little experience with them), but in their defense, the preparation and approval of an ad (radio, TV, or newsprint) probably takes place a week before the ad sees daylight. They really had a week to sell those two toy haulers.

Regardless, they didn't need to be rude. They could have politely shown you other units.

Larry
I agree. No need to be rude. But the thing about forums is that we only hear one side of the story. Salesmen are rarely rude unless given a reason to be, as their livelihood depends on a sale.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, travel