Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
Clueless

Can anyone in Houston help me take my RV around the block?

! HELLO !

The company potentially taking my 36' fifth wheel on a 15-mile round-trip adventure for inspection and being weighed is going to charge me $300 for such a daunting challenge.

Anyone in the Houston area have a big honkin' truck and want to help me out on Monday or Tuesday for less?

I ALREADY HAVE INSURANCE FOR IT.

I'd sure pay you something (I'm not looking for free aid), including a seemingly RV-required stop at Buc-ee's for some jerky and a hot lunch *if you so desired*. My plan is to go to Camping World for the inspection and then Love's for the scale, and Buc-ee's is right in the same area as both.

I just need a $7 inspection and a $12.50 scale receipt (per Texas law, to change the out-of-state title to my name), and paying $300 just to get that seems...possibly avoidable.

It's worth it if it's a must, mind you. Start-up costs for any new adventure are to be expected and well-received.

And maybe no one would dare do this apart from a company paid to do it. A friend at church has a monster truck, but he ain't got that fancy fifth-wheel adapter in the bed.

And my smart car already informed me that he'll be busy sipping kombucha and eating kale and quinoa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220319_163705.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	583.3 KB
ID:	270291  
SubmittoChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I get my Texas state inspection at an auto mechanic shop 1.7 miles from my house. Can’t you find a state inspection place closer than CW?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:34 PM   #3
Clueless

Hi, Mr. Dan. I'm not in Katy. But the RV is. Quite close to Camping World.

But thanks for the information--when we're living in it, I'll know there are more options here in Houston!
Old 03-19-2022, 05:36 PM   #4
Site Team

I understand you are excited about your new adventure in life...but it may be asking a lot of a total stranger (forum friends) to move this RV for you instead of a licensed (and insured/bonded) professional.

There are just many things that could go wrong, like it getting damaged in a parking lot. You say it is insured, but are you sure your insurance company would pay for damage incurred by a third party transporting it. You may be surprised on that one.

You stated in a previous thread that this RV was a 2014. Do you know if the tires on it are that old or have been replaced. Old tires could be a problem in moving it, especially the damage/time incurred from a tire blowout.

Have the hub bearings been repacked recently? (another potential problem in moving it)

I'm not trying to bust your bubble, but instead give some advice from a more seasoned RV'er with much more experience about things you may not have considered.

Hope you get it moved and can enjoy it to it's fullest. I will offer one more piece of advice since you will not have anyway of taking it to a dealer for any upcoming repairs should things go wrong. You may want to go ahead and find a good mobile RV tech/company to put in your address book that can come to you for future things.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #5
Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I understand you are excited about your new adventure in life...but it may be asking a lot of a total stranger (forum friends) to move this RV for you instead of a licensed (and insured/bonded) professional.

There are just many things that could go wrong, like it getting damaged in a parking lot. You say it is insured, but are you sure your insurance company would pay for damage incurred by a third party transporting it. You may be surprised on that one.

You stated in a previous thread that this RV was a 2014. Do you know if the tires on it are that old or have been replaced. Old tires could be a problem in moving it, especially the damage/time incurred from a tire blowout.

Have the hub bearings been repacked recently? (another potential problem in moving it)

I'm not trying to bust your bubble, but instead give some advice from a more seasoned RV'er with much more experience about things you may not have considered.

Hope you get it moved and can enjoy it to it's fullest. I will offer one more piece of advice since you will not have anyway of taking it to a dealer for any upcoming repairs should things go wrong. You may want to go ahead and find a good mobile RV tech/company to put in your address book that can come to you for future things.
WMTire:

Hi and thanks for writing!

Without a single incident, the RV was moved six hours away last weekend, to a storage lot for the moment. We're moving in to it in a few months, when our apartment lease is over.

The tires are in immaculate shape. I can't speak for hub bearings, as I have no idea what they are! I can ask the fellow who shows up Monday with his monster truck and a whole lot more knowledge than I do about these recreational masterpieces!
Old 03-21-2022, 06:24 AM   #6

I don’t think $300 is too much considering:

You have no idea how long CW will take to do an inspection, they are not known for being timely.

Weighing the trailer means that it will need to be unhitched on the scale, the ( hired truck ) will weigh different than yours, when you get one.

Cost of fuel is sky high

Driver’s time is worth $xx hr.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 06:49 AM   #7

It's in storage, you have insurance on it, the title (bill of sale) has been signed over to you, what's the rush. You will have to move it to someplace to live in it; why not have the required items done during the move?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
I don’t think $300 is too much considering:

You have no idea how long CW will take to do an inspection, they are not known for being timely.

Weighing the trailer means that it will need to be unhitched on the scale, the ( hired truck ) will weigh different than yours, when you get one.

Cost of fuel is sky high

Driver’s time is worth $xx hr.

I agree with this, by the time you break down the driver's expenses I don't think $300 is bad at all. Driver has to cover insurance, registration, wear and tear and fuel on there truck plus the time associated with moving the camper around to be weighed and the repairs.
Alloutdrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #9

Just a bit more information to consider.

In Texas, the truck that is towing your rig is responsible for liability insurance on that rig. So anyone who helps you is taking on the liability for your rig. That's why they are charging you $300. A private party would be taking a huge risk to tow your rig.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #10

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I've been pretty much ignoring this thread but curiosity finally got the better of me and I checked the OP's profile.

She lists her occupation as "trucker". ? ? ? ? She is a trucker but needs to ask a stranger on a forum for a truck to use? Seems strange that a trucker does not have access to or know someone with a truck. None of her trucker friends have or know someone with a 5th wheel hitched truck?

(also, personally, I think a professional trucker who doesn't know what wheel bearings are is on the sketchy side)
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:07 AM   #11
Clueless

For Our Beloved Yukongold

Yukongold,

Hello and thank you for your time to join us in this particular conversation, although to be sure you have taken it in altogether another direction! So I will be glad to address the new subjects at hand.

1. You have lived in an entirely different environment, maybe world, than me. All of my co-workers do not even speak English and their houses are made out of concrete. They don't even know what a fifth wheel is.

2. In 2020 I went through a month of CDL schooling to be sure I was prepared for the exams, and I passed the tests quickly with no problems whatsoever. There is no mention of wheel bearings anywhere in the process, so I suppose you could blame Texas DOT for churning out incompetent drivers, if you would like to so pin me.

3. If I should change my occupation here, I could enter "Placeholder". It's what I like to jokingly call myself because I'm really just the one who takes the driver's seat and keeps the truck moving whilst my husband recuperates his hours to work again. He really does any of the difficult work--including minimal repairs that include duct tape and zip ties (you'd be surprised how much they can accomplish on the side of the highway!). Of course, anything graver is addressed by the company itself.

4. Don't worry. I'm sure if I asked, my husband would know quite well what wheel bearings are--if I could figure out how to say it in Spanish!

Many blessings in your RV adventures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20201123-WA0011~3.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	270477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211119-WA0003.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	270478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20220212-WA0000~2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	270479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220219_173216~2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	270480  
Old 03-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #12
Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It's in storage, you have insurance on it, the title (bill of sale) has been signed over to you, what's the rush. You will have to move it to someplace to live in it; why not have the required items done during the move?
I understand that in Texas I am given 30 days to change the title over. To change the title, I must have insurance, inspection, and a weigh receipt!
Old 03-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #13

All I can say after seeing your pictures is,
KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!!
Enjoy your travels and adventures in your 5th wheel.
Sammici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:42 AM   #14
llr

I have seen some people tow with a highway tractor. Could you do that?

I have seen some add a smaller hitch further back but I have also seen some that appear to be using the same hitch that you would use for your regular loads.

Legally you would probably need a brake controller for the electric brakes. However with that tow vehicle I don't see it being needed, especially around town.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #15

Well we certainly give you points for taking the bull by the horns in getting things accomplished! Kudos to you for getting properly registered. I'm sure you will work it out.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #16

I would check on other shops that do state inspections in the Katy I-10 area there. As long as they have a large enough driveway/parking lot they can do it. Maybe one of the places that just do state inspections, they have more than one inspector so they should be pretty quick. You don’t have to go to an RV shop to have it done. It’s just like with a motorcycle, people think they need to go to a motorcycle shop for inspection. No, any inspection station can do it.

FWIW, I used to be a state inspector.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I get my Texas state inspection at an auto mechanic shop 1.7 miles from my house. Can’t you find a state inspection place closer than CW?
Okay, this is a mild surprise to me. We will be moving to Texas next year and will be bringing our Illinois registered ROO 233S with us. Where can I look up the requirements for such an endeavor?
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:59 PM   #18
2018 Rockwood 2703WS

I live in Houston with a large truck but not the 5th wheel hitch.

We get our Travel Trailer inspected at the local Kwik Kar oil change place that also does inspections. The inspection is a flat rate as determined by the legislature. No need to wait at CW.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #19

popeye59

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye59 View Post
Okay, this is a mild surprise to me. We will be moving to Texas next year and will be bringing our Illinois registered ROO 233S with us. Where can I look up the requirements for such an endeavor?
Lots of information here: https://www.txdmv.gov/node/4833#:~:t...0is%20optional.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:29 PM   #20

Move 5th wheel

First if an inspecton station is nearby I'll bet for less than $300 they will come to you. The only problem is the brake check which is hard without it attached to a TV.

Next you may not need a weight certificate...... here's what DMV says......"Required for all out-of-state trailers, unless the empty weight is shown on the out-of-state title or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin"
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock