Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #21

We like the Jensen TV that came with our Cedar Creek. I heard, but don't know for sure, that some regular TV sets made for the home may not survive the bumps down the road as well as a TV made for RVs. Just a thought.
thandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysotp View Post
I agree with the crowd, pick up your own TV and save your negotiations for getting as big of a price reduction as you can.

I will say though that I got lucky. Mine came with a real nice Samsung. It's actually kind of a waste since the cable signal is typically pretty lousy in the campgrounds we frequent. Beautiful when we fire up the Blue Ray though!

Our Rockwood came with a real nice Toshiba...it takes Blu-Ray and makes it look like lousy cable!

One more vote for choose your own TV after purchase...even if you need to pay to have it installed, you'll still be better off in my opinion.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thandel View Post
We like the Jensen TV that came with our Cedar Creek. I heard, but don't know for sure, that some regular TV sets made for the home may not survive the bumps down the road as well as a TV made for RVs. Just a thought.

How do you think the tv that is made overseas gets to your house. You see Jensen because it's cheap but most are now. I had a Visio in a Wildcat from the factory. Most dealers won't lose a sale over a tv, not as cheap as a tv is at Walmart. My son just recently brought a new bunkhouse travel trailer and it had no tv, he drives for Walmart and that's where the new tv came from. Run of mill tv's are cheap, nowadays it doesn't make much sense to finance a tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #24

rv tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I want a Sony or LG, I would sure like to sell my 48in Jensen tv. I want a 3D tv. I guess Jensen is ok but I think it's a cheap tv. About the only place you see them is in a RV

Wow. 55" 4k, 3D, blue ray?
Good idea to get a led tv that is 12 volt if you want to do any dry camping. Very low power and no inverter required.
Jensen, Skyworth and Furrion tvs are not Sony or Samsung but they are good tv's that are built for RV's and can take the vibration of road.
Are there any Gratefull Dead or Pink Floyd DVD's that come in 3D or 4K?
Agree with the idea to get your own and install it. If the dealer gets you one, you might end up with some low end made in china unit that you will not be happy with.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #25

Like so many others have said, just go buy a tv. Maybe you could ASK the dealer to throw in the tv side mounting bracket to match the one that's in the unit. But don't DEMAND.
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #26

Living in Missouri and growing up scrubby Dutch in Belleville, IL I get where you're coming from. But the thing to keep in mind is that the TVs that come with the units suck. Period. You'd be better off talking the seller down an additional couple of hundred and putting that on a nice TV from Wal-Mart. That way you win. Just a thought.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
Living in Missouri and growing up scrubby Dutch in Belleville, IL I get where you're coming from. But the thing to keep in mind is that the TVs that come with the units suck. Period. You'd be better off talking the seller down an additional couple of hundred and putting that on a nice TV from Wal-Mart. That way you win. Just a thought.
My 5er came with a Samsung 40" in the LR. The bedroom was wired and ready so a 28" Visio was installed. The pass through was also wired so a 22" was purchased at Best Buy.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #28

Your best option is request the dealer to install your tv. Then purchase the quality and size of tv YOU want. Do this when negotiating the purchase.. When purchasing a preowned RV you do not have the detailed option list. Many seperatly purchased items are removed by previous owners before they take them in for trade appraisal.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #29

Would not get hung up on dealer tv. Replaced the Furion that came with new tt with a smart tv. Did reuse the bracket for new tv. Would check on mounting hardware in unit you are purchasing. My tt has an outside tv has bracket that is very uncommon as things go, dealer offered to order the mounting part that matches the one screwed into out side of tt. Cost was amound $40, did finally find it on internet for $30, ships from Asia. Love smart tv, has blue tooth that DW can link her camera to and store pics, process takes less than 5 minutes with camera that has blue tooth.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Wow. 55" 4k, 3D, blue ray?
Good idea to get a led tv that is 12 volt if you want to do any dry camping. Very low power and no inverter required.
Jensen, Skyworth and Furrion tvs are not Sony or Samsung but they are good tv's that are built for RV's and can take the vibration of road.
Are there any Gratefull Dead or Pink Floyd DVD's that come in 3D or 4K?
Agree with the idea to get your own and install it. If the dealer gets you one, you might end up with some low end made in china unit that you will not be happy with.

I like Pink Floyd and a whole lot more but it's movies like the Polar Express that I like to watch in 3D, Sammys Adventures. I can only get a 49in to fit the hole. I have a 3,000 watt inverter plus two Honda's, Jensen is just a cheap tv. Any tv will take the bumps on the highway. Cedar Creek is not going to spend to much money on options. Anyway it's what you like. I would try to talk the dealer down in price and buy a cheap tv to put in camper, Black Friday is coming up the tv will be cheap

Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #31
Site Team

It can be part of the deal but it will be included somewhere in the price. They will pass on the labor cost to you. And you might not be comparing apples to apples with their choice of replacement.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #32

Don't let the tv break a deal! You can buy a tv from Best Buy for $125.
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
Don't let the tv break a deal! You can buy a tv from Best Buy for $125.

Don't most RVs come with 12 volt TVs now? You won't find any of those for under $200 and good luck finding a 12 volt TV at a retail store.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Don't most RVs come with 12 volt TVs now? You won't find any of those for under $200 and good luck finding a 12 volt TV at a retail store.

My tv is not 12 volt. What do you need a 12 volt for. You can pick up a small inverter cheap, LED tv's don't use many watts. In none of the five trailers that I have owned had 12 volt tv's.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:25 AM   #35
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Nope.

All three of the TV's in my Concord are 120 volt. I haven't pulled them down yet to see if they are using an internal converter. I have had some old LCD ones that could be converted to run on 12 volts.

Also interesting to note that the main TV in the entertainment center over the cab area has a relay to cut power so it won't come on while the ignition is on. Not sure what is up with that.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #36

Whats this question about? Is it about RV'ing?
Go to Walmart.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #37

Continuing to Look

My DW and I are continuing to look for our next RV and we'll probably take the advise from most of you in purchasing a TV if needed. I don't like to make issues with the dealers, but we've found they're wanting the sale and will try to accommodate what we want. Besides there're more important items I want them to do like bearing, brake and tire inspections if it's a used unit.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Trails!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #38

Had a Jenson tv in my 2011, supposed to be built for vibration and bumps on the road. Tuner died after 2 seasons. Replaced it with a unknown brand from wally world. Bought that years ago for a replacement in our 2000 5'er, survived thousands of miles without a hitch. Our 2017 has a furrion, which I'm not crazy about, probably next to get replaced. Them Jenson/Furrion rv ready tv's can run $300-$500 while the same size name brand from wally world or wherever will be $150-$250. So buy your own tv and negotiate the install if you want.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #39

At Camping World in Byron, they let us bring them the TV of our choice and they installed it. Of course, we had parameters for the size.
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #40

The dealer will install the cheapest they can get, and charge you more than a quality TV!

And knowing how some dealers do things, they probably removed the TV to make more money when they sell it by selling you the TV they removed.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, television