Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #41
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
Boy, you said a mouthful and likely earned the ire of all those obnoxious irresponsible dog owners out there who think rules only apply to others.

MOST dog owners we come across, in campgrounds and national and state parks, are perhaps the most rude and ignorant people ever.

While a dog lover myself, I have no quarter for fools who own dogs that are ill-trained or untrained, who refuse to keep their dogs on a leash, and who value their dogs over other people. Wish there was some way to fine these clowns - and it is NOT the dog's fault, but the ignorant owners who are too lazy or self-centered to actually be respectful of other people.

If I had my way, no dog would ever set foot in a national park. Can't speak for the state parks, but there is no reason on earth to allow dogs into a national park. Dogs in such environs are nothing but a nuisance to the multitudes who frequent the parks.

Final rant: people in RVs should be restricted to how many dogs they bring into RV parks. In the park in which we currently sit, there is a fool who has four dogs in a small trailer. Bad for the dogs, not to mention what a stinking mess the trailer must be. Last night we saw someone walking a St Bernard (without a leash - guess a leash would not matter with such a beast), also camping in a smaller trailer. What is wrong with dog owners? Were they born with a screw loose?
Like I said...

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcasa View Post
I never heard of a dog peeing in a pool!
You never met my lab. [emoji6] When she was young she never encountered a body of water that she didn't want to pee (or crap) in, the Pacific Ocean included.

Days camped in 2017: 53 (so far!)
FirstTracks is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #43
Keeper of the firepit

I just love that "responsible" dog owner who takes their dog walking. Then let's it do it's business at my campsite!
No apologies while I sit in my chair and it happens. No effort to clean it up. Take your dang dog somewhere else.
I said something to the lady and it still happens. So now I'm that bad dog owner. As I let my golden off the leash and he trotted right out till I told him to stay. Now that little purse size dog starts shaking. LOL Guess who doesn't walk by my site anymore and allow that dog do their business in my site.😁
jackel440 is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #44

There will not be one guilty dog owner reading this that thinks it applies to him/her.

2017 Cherokee 274RK (Patriot Edition)
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn-- Yes it has a HEMI

Moved up from a 2004 Antiqua 195CK
danjoan is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoan View Post
There will not be one guilty dog owner reading this that thinks it applies to him/here.
You said it.

They've already started showing up.
lugoismad is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
The OP and others make good points ... certainly, there are "bad dogs" out there, and just perhaps ... some of them are a breed OTHER than Canis lupus familiaris ...

Don't know that we have EVER seen a dog ...
  • driving around kicking up dust and endangering children doing 35 MPH in a 10 MPH zone and in the opposite direction of the one-way signs
  • running an open frame generator all night long
  • leaving cigar tips and cigarette butts on the ground
  • emptying their blank tank without using a hose
  • running their diesel engine for 90 minutes prior to departure
What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

You have a beef with people running generators, being noisy, and being gross with their black tank. Fair enough.

Does that somehow mean that we also can't be upset with irresponsible dog owners?

Or are you trying to imply one cancels out the other?
Old 06-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #47

How do i say AMEN!!! my wife and I get frustrated when we take my service dog with us and everyone wants to let their out of control run up us. The first words out of their mouth is my dog is friendly. Lucy is a working dog not a playing dog!
Love to communicate via the airwaves
WT7E (Ham Radio)
BobandAnitaK is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandAnitaK View Post
How do i say AMEN!!! my wife and I get frustrated when we take my service dog with us and everyone wants to let their out of control run up us. The first words out of their mouth is my dog is friendly. Lucy is a working dog not a playing dog!
This, or people who just expect they can pet your dog without asking.

One of my dogs is a bit skittish around new people when they try to pet her. You have to let her smell you and let her warm up to you a bit first. She doesn't bite, but she'll growl if you scare her.

Can't stand it when kids just run up and try to start petting her. Didn't their parents teach them thats a good way to get bit?
Old 06-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #49
Censored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackel440 View Post
I just love that "responsible" dog owner who takes their dog walking. Then let's it do it's business at my campsite!
No apologies while I sit in my chair and it happens. No effort to clean it up. Take your dang dog somewhere else.
I've only had that happen once. I was actually shocked the guy didn't pick up after his dog. No big deal to me but I did follow him from a distance to see where he was camped.

When I got back to my campsite I picked up the dog poop myself. I'm a nice guy don't ya know. Later that night around 11:30 PM when the campground very dark and very quiet I took my little bag of his dog poop and emptied the bag at the bottom on his steps. I didn't want him to leave anything behind. I'm a nice guy don't ya know. Oh gee, I hope he didn't step in it when he came out in the morning. I'm a nice guy don't ya know.
ManlyMan is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
We carry a dog camping with us...she loves to go. We keep her crated in the RV and leashed outside. Last trip(memorial weekend) with lots of traffic a young lady 15-16 approached DS (in our campsite) who had the dog. Of course the dog barked at her. She wanted to pet the dog(she is pretty) and then stuck her face down on the dogs face. Nothing happened of course...dog is gentle...hello she just barked at you. She was a pretty little girl and appeared very sweet...just not too smart.
This happens to us all the time usually more than once during a week but the people are much older......... they manage to put their faces in our older dogs face and have her "kiss" them (lick them). Feel like washing the dogs mouth afterwards I don't know where those people have put their faces... ewe but we will hear oh what a cute Boxer we left ours at home and miss them......... ok ok I get that but why put your face in a strange dogs face.............. just don't always expect a welcomed response.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #51

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

You have a beef with people running generators, being noisy, and being gross with their black tank. Fair enough.

Does that somehow mean that we also can't be upset with irresponsible dog owners?

Or are you trying to imply one cancels out the other?
The point, is that the IRRESPONSIBLE dog owners, are absolutely a problem.

The general piling-on that every dog is a bad dog, and every dog owner is a bad dog owner, however, is a somewhat narrow mode of thinking perhaps ???

Our dogs are NEVER free to run anywhere other than our boondocking land, or sanctioned dog parks. For utter clarity, our boondocking land comes with it's own New York county and school tax bills.

Neighbor of ours in-town, likes to let his little dog ... "roam." It has an affinity for coming into our yard to do it's business, probably our fault because our dogs use our yard for that purpose ?? Anyways, he's is out doing yard work and his dog does its thing. I walk on over there, just because the getting is kinda good. Long story short, we all get a good laugh out of it, we get a tour of his 1976 AirStream and he got a like-new propane tank pigtail that we pulled from our old TC when we disassembled it.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #52
Conservative Warrior

I understand totally with what you say in your rave, except barely qualifies as a dog because under 5 pounds, Really? Not everyone wants or has the space to keep a large dog. Will tell you my yorkies believes she a big dog.
Vegasmailman is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel68 View Post
I agree with everything you said. Now if some people would apply some of this to their kids as well that would be awesome...except the bathroom part, those little monsters need to be cleaned off from time to time, not only in the pool, with soap.
I'd say the equitable solution is camp elsewhere.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasmailman View Post
I understand totally with what you say in your rave, except barely qualifies as a dog because under 5 pounds, Really? Not everyone wants or has the space to keep a large dog. Will tell you my yorkies believes she a big dog.
My point was that all the same rules still apply, no matter the size. Saw a woman this morning pick up her little yorkie and carry it into the bathroom right past the "no dogs in the bathroom" sign. A lot of people think just because its small, it somehow doesn't have to follow the "Dog" rules.

There are some people in my area that I keep running in to at walmart, they raise some sort of little shitpoo breed, and they always bring 2 or 3 of them and put them in the shopping cart while at walmart. Same carts I put my food in. And they seem to have no issues parking these dogs right in front of the produce while talking to people. Its disgusting.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #55

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Quote:
My point was that all the same rules still apply, no matter the size. ... < snip > Its disgusting.

" Agree Agree Agree !!!! "

Our favourite and frequent local diner, has a particular client that likes (needs ?) to bring in her "service dog." (That is "service" spelled C-O-M-P-A-N-I-O-N.) The management did the whole due diligence thing, and after the smoke, dust and paperwork settled, well, they are a national chain and the dog is allowed in. Ourselves and others, we remain ... uncomfortable ... with it being UP ON THE TABLES et cetera.

( It's STILL disgusting ... )

Our two remain at home, but they do love when we bring them the leftover fries and bread and buns and such ....

We can try to be good by example.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #56

Quote:
I love dogs. Don't get me wrong. But I am so sick of bad dog owners at the campground. Just got back from a quick 2 nighter about half an hour from my house.
  • Dogs belong on a leash or a lead. This applies to everyone. Don't let your dog walk around the campsite without a lead or a leash and then get pissy with me because I walk my dog past on the road and your stupid mutt comes running out of your site. Don't glare at me because you are a bad dog owner.

• Don't take your dog in the bathhouse and ignore the 8.5"x11" "Please don't take your dog in the bathroom" sign thats on the door. Yes, this still applies to you even if your dog barely qualifies as a dog because it weighs 5lbs and shakes like crazy because its nervous a hawk is going to get it.

• Don't give me the hairy eyeball because your dog goes nuts inside your camper when I walk my dog past on the road. Sorry I'm being a good owner and getting my dog some exercise and letting them use the bathroom somewhere besides our campsite.

• If your dog can't shut up, maybe you shouldn't take them camping. Someone had a hound that would not be quiet and anytime anyone walked within 100 feet of it, it would go nuts. Not all dogs can be camping dogs, you need to board that one instead of ticking off the entire campground.
We have 2 dogs that we always bring camping with us, and we avoid the campgrounds that wont let us bring them both.
I absolutley 100% agree with your post!

Thank you for writing it so perfectly!
Shane_72 is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #57

I suppose it's a crying shame I could never get our bob tailed cat to enjoy a harness & leash, he so wants to be outside on the porch when we are.
I love to take him camping ~ at 38 lbs., he doesn't back up from anything and is faster than a chipmunk hyped on Mountain Dew!!
extxn is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #58
Professional Texan

I saw a RV park whose rules online state that dog owners who did not pick their dogs poop, would be fined $25. It went on to say Any one who reported a dog owner not picking up their dogs poop would receive a reward of $25.

I would be a tough thing to enforce.

TexasBob is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #59
ARLO

I personally like dogs but I do not like barkers and chargers. If you have one of these you should be entitled to one warning and then it's immediate evection because nobody likes to put up with that.
rlocicero is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
We carry a dog camping with us...she loves to go. We keep her crated in the RV and leashed outside. Last trip(memorial weekend) with lots of traffic a young lady 15-16 approached DS (in our campsite) who had the dog. Of course the dog barked at her. She wanted to pet the dog(she is pretty) and then stuck her face down on the dogs face. Nothing happened of course...dog is gentle...hello she just barked at you. She was a pretty little girl and appeared very sweet...just not too smart.
THIS is the complete wrong way to meet a new dog for the first time!!!!

You let the dog come to you. No eye contact, no talking to it, no touching.

Dogs are all about who dominates them. They know who is the boss. Putting your face at dog head level is asking for trouble. Petting the top of the dogs head without making it's acquaintance is asking for trouble.

No matter the size, never trust one until you know it.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
mpg