Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I saw a RV park whose rules online state that dog owners who did not pick their dogs poop, would be fined $25. It went on to say Any one who reported a dog owner not picking up their dogs poop would receive a reward of $25.

I would be a tough thing to enforce.
Maybe maybe not, no reward but where we go it is $100 fine to not pick up after your pet..... You pay it or leave period no second chances..... the fines go to the local rescues.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #62

I have 2 small dogs that like to sit outside so I have fencing for them. Always walk them on leashes and pick up after them. When I had my last dog we had a problem with a neighbor in the community I lived in. She had a pack of small dogs and thought it was just fine to let them run loose. When I walked my dog they would rush out to surround us. I have a bad knee so I carried a cane. Guess what I got yelled at by her for hitting her dogs when they tried to attack mine. So from then on if there are any loose dogs in a campground I carry my cane.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #63
Insert witty title here

I don't care how friendly you say your dog is, if it is off leash and comes charging at me when I walk by your site, it will get a steel toe kick right to the face.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:57 PM   #64

Doggos

Agree entirely. Makes me wonder about a lot of folks. Just returned from a two week stay at Long Key State Park in the Florida keys. Lots of folks with puppers. Not one problem. All on a leash or responsibly restrained. The park rangers won't tolerate anything less. We love the opportunity to meet and greet other dog owners...we've met so many wonderful people on the other end of the leash...out strolling at sunset at the park, met a fellow camper from Scotland walking her labradoodle...she was the first person we've met who instantly recognized our doggo as a border terrier (the breed originated on the border of England and Scotland..)
What a delightful conversation ensued! This seems to be the case in all the state/national parks we visit...I'm curious...since we don't normally go to private campgrounds, in your experience, do there appear to be more irresponsible owners inhabiting these places???
slipf18 is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #65

Quite a few years ago I suffered a severe dog bite. I vowed never to be bitten again. When I walk my neighborhood I carry my canister of bear spray. I've only had to use it once and it was very effective on the dog.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele and Douglas View Post
I know a guy who makes money on the side -although he collects SSI disability- hauling other people's trailer's either because they can't drive well enough to haul them themself or don't have a TV big enough to move them.

Yes, you can buy a big 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles but you can't buy class -even if it is with money you illegally earn by cheating disability.
That last statement is usually the beginning of a thread needing to be closed.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #67

Dogs in Campgrounds...

Short story about dogs and dog owners. My wife and two small children took an
RV trip to Navarre Beach, Fla., a while back. It was, at that time, a very nice campground. My wife and I take an afternoon stroll through the campground where we spot a 2-person swing facing the gulf. The view was incredible so, naturally, we sat down to enjoy. A few moments later, we heard a voice from behind and turned to see a middle-aged woman walking and talking to her little "yapping" dog. We ignored her and turned back around. A few seconds later, we are startled by this woman who was letting her dog "use the bathroom" on the swing posts directly behind our feet. She then just walks off with the dog and leaves mess and all. I hit the fan, to say the least. I followed her to her camper to see where she was at and then went to the office and filed a complaint. The next day, we ran into the assistant manager of the campground and he told us he went to see the dog owner and advised her that what she did was against the rules and he told us her reply was..."Oh, I didn't think that meant me!!" Nothing further was done about this so we have never returned to this campground. If they think the rules are only for certain campers and not for everyone, then I don't want to camp there. We are a dog owner and ALWAYS pick up after our pet. Since this time, I have gotten older, more opinionated, and now will speak up and say whats on my mind. If I hurt the dog owners feelings, so be it. I have been called a few names by disrespectful dog owners but I always return the salutation. My wife has even gone so far as to shovel the pile up that the neighbor conveniently lets their dog do on our yard, after repeatedly being asked not to, and followed her home and flung it at her in her own yard. She no longer comes down to our end of the neighborhood. The dog owners don't need to discipline their dogs, the dogs need to discipline their owners!! Nuff said.
Tirebuilder is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
The OP and others make good points ... certainly, there are "bad dogs" out there, and just perhaps ... some of them are a breed OTHER than Canis lupus familiaris ...

Don't know that we have EVER seen a dog ...
  • driving around kicking up dust and endangering children doing 35 MPH in a 10 MPH zone and in the opposite direction of the one-way signs
  • running an open frame generator all night long
  • leaving cigar tips and cigarette butts on the ground
  • emptying their blank tank without using a hose
  • running their diesel engine for 90 minutes prior to departure
A couple of the county parks we frequent, feature extensive walking paths, bridle paths and hiking trails, that are easily accessible from the campsites and at the same time, are generally segregated from going past every single RV site. A lot of people choose to have dogs for various security purposes, and it is the nature of these beast to respond to things unknown. Well trained dogs will alert and stop, or will shut up with a quick acknowledgement from the owner; there are also young dogs which are still learning the ropes. Anyone who owns and walks a dog would know these things.

Our county has a "reciprocal" agreement with a neighboring county, where the annual park permits are valid in both locations. Our county allows dogs in the park and campgrounds, the other county ... does not. Fine, we will not use their facilities. But at the same time, it might be "considerate" of the people from the land of no dogs, to not expect no dogs when they come to our county. The county park / camground we like, does feature a fenced off-leash dog park, installed at taxpayer and park user expense, and it might be reasonable to expect dogs. "Just sayin' ...."

Absolutely, dog owners should adhere to the rules, and above that, behave like adults. That being said, there are some adults who could probably take a few lessions in good social behaviour, from our dogs.

Now ... since we are rolling up to a non-quarantine campground later today, we need to saw this soapbox into firewood since we can't bring normal sticks and logs.

I'm guessing you're an animal owner who lets your pets do what this thread is complaining about... otherwise why bring up an issue that has nothing to do with this thread?
325BH is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I don't care how friendly you say your dog is, if it is off leash and comes charging at me when I walk by your site, it will get a steel toe kick right to the face.

Exactly how I feel and what I do. I don't care what size the dog either. Most of the time it is to educate the owner.
325BH is offline   Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #70
Site Team

As has happened with other such similar threads dealing with this same subject matter, this one has devolved into what is historically a very divisive subject.

Even the OP has moved off of the dogs in campgrounds into dogs in Wal-Mart, which is a different thing all together. Since this is really just a vent thread, with no solutions, the site team is going to once again have to close a thread disruptive to the forum harmony and causes hard feelings.

Please do not reopen another thread on this same subject matter.

Your FRF Site Team

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
mpg