Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2021, 10:36 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
yes!

Any before ya'll go crazy deciding the facts...we need real weights and did the brakes work or was the driver riding the brakes etc....everyone relax...it will all come out in time.
I was reading through the comments to see if anyone said this before I commented. Seems like the weight might not be as much an issue as all the other things that were wrong. It’s bad no matter what.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:05 AM   #62

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7845.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	265667
Old 11-12-2021, 08:24 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
If you want the accurate rating you should go to Ford’s towing guide- because that’s not even close to right, lol.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #64

These are the max numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65E07E4B-7213-4D3F-95F4-785245F4AD41.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	265668  
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #65
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
These are the max numbers.
Man I can tow 1000lbs with my mustang! Let do it!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
If you want the accurate rating you should go to Ford’s towing guide- because that’s not even close to right, lol.

🤣I agree and understand how it’s done. Just wanted to show that not all F350s are built to tow 20k or more.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #67
Insert witty title here

Anyone who has towed trailers for any length of time knows that these towing capacity numbers are pretty much worthless. A vehicle's ability to tow will be determined by its payload capacity.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:27 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I have a 2019 F-350. When I bought it I asked the dealer to show me the weight limits on the computer. He pulled it up and showed it to me. For a 5th wheel hitch the limit was 27500. But for a gooseneck hitch the limit is 38,000. Maybe that's where the reporter screwed up number.
Sounds likely, based on the informed chatter here, I am inclined to think the 38,000lb figure comes from the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings of the truck and trailer.
What the boat and trailer actually weighed will be determined by the Nevada Highway Patrol investigators.
Operating such a vehicle with defective or inoperative brakes defines gross negligence.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
...Operating such a vehicle with defective or inoperative brakes defines gross negligence.
Wouldn't even well-maintained brakes in perfect operating condition potentially give out under the stress of constant braking of a ~30,000-40,000-pound load down that grade from Tahoe?

If the driver was going relatively fast and relying only on his brakes (especially since the trailer apparently had no brakes) then it seems to me to be a predictable outcome, no?

ETA: Looks like TitanMike already made this point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
...Curious how fast the driver was going down the hill. Even with good brakes they will fade rapidly is going downhill fast.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #70

Quote:
Don't know for sure. Around where i live larger boat trailers never get " dunked ". Boats of any size are usually launched and recovered with cranes or travel-lifts.

Regardless, even hudraulic "surge brakes" have emergency breakaway devices with chain/cable that needs to be attached to a solid anchor on tow vehicle.

Curious how fast the driver was going down the hill. Even with good brakes they will fade rapidly is going downhill fast.
Too many drivers don't understand the key to a safe decent starts before the crest of the hill. Not half way down.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
Wouldn't even well-maintained brakes in perfect operating condition potentially give out under the stress of constant braking of a ~30,000-40,000-pound load down that grade from Tahoe?

If the driver was going relatively fast and relying only on his brakes (especially since the trailer apparently had no brakes) then it seems to me to be a predictable outcome, no?

I have driven down that grade a few times and I can verify 70mph is possible by simply coasting in neutral.
From the photos, it appears the F350 is a current, aluminum body version that was introduced in 2017..I think. Ford owners correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, I agree even if the trucks' brakes were in working order, fade will reduce them to a smoking, fiery mess if they were ridden the entire way down the grade...espcecially with no trailer brakes.
Assuming the truck is a Power Stroke, would or could the engine brake retard speed enough in lower gears on a 6% grade?
Old 11-12-2021, 12:29 PM   #72

Quote:

I have driven down that grade a few times and I can verify 70mph is possible by simply coasting in neutral.
From the photos, it appears the F350 is a current, aluminum body version that was introduced in 2017..I think. Ford owners correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, I agree even if the trucks' brakes were in working order, fade will reduce them to a smoking, fiery mess if they were ridden the entire way down the grade...espcecially with no trailer brakes.
Assuming the truck is a Power Stroke, would the engine brake retard speed enough in lower gears on a 6% grade?
NHP crash investigators will no doubt be looking at bluing on the brake rotors.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #73
D W

Quote:
Not sure this trailer weighs 10K...

As stated previously, the crane operator knew exactly how much it weighed as soon as he snatched it, and you can bet the NHP was right there to record it.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Emergency Brake breakaway switch?

Apparently not however if equipped, battery was dead or cable was just considered an annoyance and maybe just jammed behind license plate for looks, etc. Were the trailer brakes even working? Checked before the "haul" or did the towing vehicle have a properly adjusted controller.

This is a sad example of what can happen when towing a trailer and not understanding how to do it safely.

Probably not on a boat trailer. Boat trailers don’t usually have electric brakes, but should have had surge brakes, but not sure how/if they have breakaway capabilities.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #75

TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #76

Bottom line; if the driver had used the runaway sand trap, no one would have been injured or died. Tragic consequences.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
As stated previously, the crane operator knew exactly how much it weighed as soon as he snatched it, and you can bet the NHP was right there to record it.
Can you (or someone else) tell what the make/model of that trailer might be? I'm moderately surprised that such a trailer might weigh 5 tons...

Found this:

Quote:
Large Boat Trailer Weight

Larger boat trailers are used for hauling yachts, pontoon boats and other heavy watercraft. For this type of trailer, the empty weight ranges from 1,100 to 4,400 pounds, and the average is about 2,200 pounds.

When loaded with a large boat, the trailer weight increases greatly. The capacity depends on the build of the trailer and its configuration. GVWR can be as low as 5,400 pounds or as high as 34,400 pounds.

Average load capacity for large boat trailers is around 11,400 pounds.
https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-weight#LargeBoatTrailer
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #78
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Can you (or someone else) tell what the make/model of that trailer might be? I'm moderately surprised that such a trailer might weigh 5 tons...
It is not so much the weight of the trailer is 5 tons it would be it's capacity. Like I said earlier my bet is the 38,000 lb comes from the vehicle and trailers capacities not their actual weights. Somebody pointed out that that type of boat trailer is designed to be reconfigured for multiple boat designs. So it may be rated to 20,000 but is only hauling a boat that weighs 12. While the driver may not be overweight in the sense of being overloaded for the trailer rating he may be oversized for the type of license he's driving. And now add in journalists who have no idea what they're talking about and you end up with a guy that's driving 38,000 lb of vehicle when in reality he might have only been 20,000 lb.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Then there are the inevitable lawsuits.
True, assuming he is adequately insured, which is highly unlikely.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:46 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
These charges are probably contributing factors.

Gonzalez-Otazo is being held at the Carson City jail on more than 20 charges including:

Felony reckless driving
No valid driver's license
Unsafe vehicle
Obstruction of justice
Failure to obey traffic light
Fail to obey traffic device
No record of duty status
Motor carrier permit required
No medical certificate
Operating a CMV without a CDL
Driver must be able to understand traffic signals
No fuel tax permit
IRO apportioned tag/reg violation
No USDOT/carrier name displayed
Inoperative/defective Brakes
Inspection repair and maintenance (2 counts)
Wheel fasteners loose and missing (2 counts)
Required brakes missing on trailer
Loose or unfastened tiedown
Damaged vehicle structures and pressure points
Where does the obstruction of justice charge come from?

Tags
f350, tow