Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzle408 View Post
I know everyone gets sick of hearing me say this but yes your rig may very well be able to pull a RV/BOAT/TRAILER ect. BUT, CAN IT STOP IT??
Face facts no rig no matter the size can always stop 100% of the time.

They don't build runaway ramps so semi's have a place to park.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #122

Downshifting?

Apparently the driver knew nothing about downshifting either.
stsimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsimmer View Post
Apparently the driver knew nothing about downshifting either.
I mentioned that earlier, not sure I got a reply. Does the Powerstroke have an exhaust brake and if so, will it hold speed if held in second gear while descending a 6% grade while towing an alleged 38,000lbs? Could the engine exceed redline in these circumstances?
I know we are all speculating but perhaps the driver tried a lower gear unsuccessfully.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquesmm View Post
Brakes at fault yes but those weights don't make sense. A Cigarette 44 should be around 12,000 lbs. I was an engineer for Cigarette.
2015 Ferretti Group Rivarama Super 44

Quote:
DIMENSIONS / WEIGHT
Length overall 13.4 m (44′)
Beam 3.9 m (12′9″)
Bridge clearance N/A
Height on trailer N/A
Draft 1.03 m (3′5″)
Dry weight 13,100 kg (28,881 lbs)
https://specs.boatguideweb.com/speci...super_44/2015/
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #125

It may not hold it alone, but in any case downshifting will take a significant amount of pressure off the brakes .
Old 11-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
2015 Ferretti Group Rivarama Super 44

https://specs.boatguideweb.com/speci...super_44/2015/
Nice boat, assuming it was the one involved. I have not seen any confirmation of that yet. As others stated, 28,000lb boat sitting a trailer that weighs 10,000lb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rivarama 44.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	265795  
Old 11-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInTahoe View Post
I drive over 50 to Carson City pretty regularly. Went over today. It was sad and eerie to see it. The truck left skid marks that start a couple hundred yards before the intersection, veering into the left turn lane - probably trying to miss cars at the stop light. Sadly the skid marks start just after the runaway truck ramp.
Skid marks tells me the guy was asleep at the wheel.

Can you hit the brakes hard enough to override ABS? Yes, done so myself. If all 4 wheels grab at the same time hard enough, they will lock. What makes ABS work are the speed sensors at each wheel, it detects variations between the wheel speeds and pulses the one moving slowest, but if all four show the same speed, they will not pulse.

The fact there are skid marks means he did not burn up his brakes on the truck, if he did, the pedal would be on the floor and there would be no pressure to slam them on. That means he wasn't paying attention and didn't consider braking earlier, and having no trailer brakes means he was wholly unprepared for it. In the end, this is all on him, no one else. Scary to think about knowing there are thousands just like him behind the wheel every day, every where.

Are you certain those were from his truck?
Old 11-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I don't want to make lite of this tragic situation, but I've never understood this "you can tow it, but can you stop it" logic. Of course you can not stop it, thats why the trailers have their own brakes. If they fail, or you melt them on a long down hill then bad things are going to happen no matter what.

How many of you out there are legally towing big 15-18K rigs with your 1 tons? How quickly do you think you would be stopping if the trailer brakes just quit? And as was pointed out these 1 tons can legally tow well over 30K pounds. Thats not being stopped any time soon by the truck alone.

The Ford Mustang towing 2 jet skis is a safer setup than those of us with big rigs. Very strange when you think about it.
Finally someone said it. The truck brakes don't stop the trailer, the trailer brakes do (when working & adjusted correctly). If the trailer brakes and controller are functioning and adjusted correctly, it shouldn't feel like it's pushing you through the stops regardless of the weight of the load (if the brakes work). The charges say the trailer was missing the required brakes. If you can believe initial reports it was way over weight but it is possible the truck would have handled it if the trailer brakes were there and working correctly.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Skid marks tells me the guy was asleep at the wheel.

Can you hit the brakes hard enough to override ABS? Yes, done so myself. If all 4 wheels grab at the same time hard enough, they will lock. What makes ABS work are the speed sensors at each wheel, it detects variations between the wheel speeds and pulses the one moving slowest, but if all four show the same speed, they will not pulse.

The fact there are skid marks means he did not burn up his brakes on the truck, if he did, the pedal would be on the floor and there would be no pressure to slam them on. That means he wasn't paying attention and didn't consider braking earlier, and having no trailer brakes means he was wholly unprepared for it. In the end, this is all on him, no one else. Scary to think about knowing there are thousands just like him behind the wheel every day, every where.

Are you certain those were from his truck?
Keep in mind not all roadway tire marks are from locked wheel braking. Many skids are side skids, centrifugal skids, looping skids and pre and post impact tire marks from as many as nine involved vehicles..
Maybe the driver intentionally put the truck into a side skid as a last attempt effort to slow prior to impact.
Pre-impact roadway marks could be from the trailer or truck that was starting to jack-knife. Skid mark analysis will be a big part of the Nevada Highway Patrol collision reconstruction investigation.
I agree, the crash is the responsibility of the driver and the condition of the vehicles.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Keep in mind not all roadway tire marks are from locked wheel braking. Many skids are side skids, centrifugal skids, looping skids and pre and post impact tire marks from as many as nine involved vehicles..
Maybe the driver intentionally put the truck into a side skid as a last attempt effort to slow prior to impact.
Pre-impact roadway marks could be from the trailer or truck that was starting to jack-knife. Skid mark analysis will be a big part of the Nevada Highway Patrol collision reconstruction investigation.
I agree, the crash is the responsibility of the driver and the condition of the vehicles.

Agreed, which is why my last sentence was, are you sure they were from his truck? If they were, there would be two different sets, the single front wheels and the pair of rear wheels, quite distinctive if from the truck.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Agreed, which is why my last sentence was, are you sure they were from his truck? If they were, there would be two different sets, the single front wheels and the pair of rear wheels, quite distinctive if from the truck.
Apparently the only evidence of roadway marks we have in the discussion was from this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInTahoe View Post
I drive over 50 to Carson City pretty regularly. Went over today. It was sad and eerie to see it. The truck left skid marks that start a couple hundred yards before the intersection, veering into the left turn lane - probably trying to miss cars at the stop light. Sadly the skid marks start just after the runaway truck ramp.
Locked wheel skids tend to be straight since steering is not possible. James mentions "veering" and "miss stopped cars" which tends to suggest an arching, side or centrifugal pre-impact tire marks are visible. This could indicate driver was in a panic and lost lateral and yaw control just prior to impact.
These tire marks are also known as a critical speed scuff.
https://www.jhscientific.com/downloa...alSpeedYaw.pdf
Old 11-16-2021, 02:20 PM   #132
Insert witty title here

He was towing it with a Ford.

Enough said. LOL

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #133
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
He was towing it with a Ford.

Enough said. LOL

Good Lord... I didn't think it would take 132 posts for this statement.

Officially now a thread.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #134

Bail remains high for the driver who is still in custody. "He has no ties to Northern Nevada, has no employment history and no guarantee he would make court appearances if bail was reduced" according to Judge Luis.
NHP also released information on the truck and trailer owners. Both are owned by people in Florida.
https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...on-city-wreck/
https://carsonnow.org/story/11/16/20...ler-o?page=864
Old 11-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Good Lord... I didn't think it would take 132 posts for this statement.

Officially now a thread.

They have contacted the authorities to furnish their expert opinions. Calls have not been returned
Old 11-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #136

So it wasn't towing 38,000 lbs...that was the total weight of truck, trailer, and boat:

Quote:
...The truck and trailer weigh approximately 38,000 pounds....
https://carsonnow.org/story/11/16/20...-and-trailer-o

That makes more sense. I never bought in to the trailer weighing 10,000 lbs.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Bail remains high for the driver who is still in custody. "He has no ties to Northern Nevada, has no employment history and no guarantee he would make court appearances if bail was reduced" according to Judge Luis.
NHP also released information on the truck and trailer owners. Both are owned by people in Florida.
https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/ne...on-city-wreck/
https://carsonnow.org/story/11/16/20...ler-o?page=864
Looks like a proverbial "Laundry List" of charges.

Don't know the driver's immigration status but around here, if anone has family ties to a foreign country, when released on bail, they're often gone in a flash.

This probably played into the judges decision to not grant low bail.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
...This probably played into the judges decision to not grant low bail.
But if the driver has friends in high places (e.g., the owner of a very expensive boat) it would only take $10,000 to spring him. At least that's my understanding of how bail bonds work (and no, not from personal experience...).
Old 11-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Looks like a proverbial "Laundry List" of charges.

Don't know the driver's immigration status but around here, if anone has family ties to a foreign country, when released on bail, they're often gone in a flash.

This probably played into the judges decision to not grant low bail.
I wasnt going to mention immigration status since that topic is probably not permitted by the moderators.
His facebook page says he is from Cuba.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #140

I am surprised this lynching thread has not been closed yet.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, tow