Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

canadian selling travel trailer in florida

does anyone have info re selling my Mini-Lite in Florida, it is registered in Ontario and I am not having any luck finding appropriate information thanks in advance
golfngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

Can you be a little more specific. What questions do you have?
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #3

I sold a camper to a guy from Canada hear in Michigan. With bill of sale and proper title I don't think the transfer is any big deal if that's your question
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

my question is do I pay an import fee/tax to USA USA
golfngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 PM   #5

Once you have the cash in your hand its not really your problem. Whoever buys it will have to jump through the hopes to get a title and plate.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #6

You are asking a loaded question. If selling something registered in Canada to someone in the US, will you not have to claim the sale in Canada?

This past year, we purchased a Florida property from Canadians. The sellers stated that they were taking a real hit getting the money back into Canada. Not sure if you can leave the money in the US for future use. Some Canadians rent their properties here and do that.

So the question is transfer of title being a document. In the US, when a seller is from another state, the buyer's state notifies the seller's state of the sale and title transfer. That way, the owner can only register a title in one state and have only one title. It also verifies that the prior title holder has no further interest in the item being sold If the deal is between a Canadian and an American, there is a record of a money exchange. Best now to find the logistics at both ends. It may be to your advantage to bring it back for sale.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
D W

I would imagine there is a "duty" that has to be paid. When it crossed the border it was personal property, but then it was sold. So, the personal property exemption becomes null and void.

You can't equate this to a real estate transaction where the "property" was terra firma located in the US.

I would strongly suggest you contact US Customs for the correct procedure.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I would imagine there is a "duty" that has to be paid. When it crossed the border it was personal property, but then it was sold. So, the personal property exemption becomes null and void.

You can't equate this to a real estate transaction where the "property" was terra firma located in the US.

I would strongly suggest you contact US Customs for the correct procedure.
Terra firma or not, there are documents involved in the OP's transaction. One, the OP has a Canadian title, and two, the Canadian and US both have documented the TT across their borders.

As for my example, there were documents tied to Canada because it was real estate. Getting the money back into Canada is in common and is a real pain. We are trying to make sure the OP knows all of the ramifications on both sides of the border. One of them is the money exchange crossing the border.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:26 AM   #9

If I was buying from you, you would have to bring TT into US for us to do the transaction. I don't think it would be an issue from that but I am not sure either.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer