Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #41

Logistics?

So another Pacific North Westerner,

I just want to know what say a Canadian from Vancouver, BC who owns a 5th-wheel or a trailer and a pickup truck needs to do and how they are doing it?

Hire two different tow trucks or flat beds, or like a new vehicle transporter, then meet them at say Bellingham International Airport after flying San Juan Air from BC? Flying in and transporting RVs to Seattle via Alaska or Allegiant Air would be real expensive. And, I see possible car rentals, parking, or other transportation costs involved to make it to/from drop off points for the rigs and airports.

That would be a big nope for me.
SunNRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #42

Here's a little tidbit. An FBO is a Fixed Base Operator at airport. They operate the airport business. I worked for one many years ago. Yes a King Air is a twin engine small aircraft.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #43

There was a news story from almost a month ago, Canadians flying to Scottsdale, AZ and then driving to their second homes here in Arizona. Reckless behavior!
Also, they can line up next to Americans for the Covid-19 vaccine as long as they fit the category. DH and I are in 1C (elderly and any age with medical conditions, right along side adults living in congregate settings - prisoners in jails.)

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #44

We live in St. Louis, MO; we are retired, and we left our home mid November, 2020 We are traveling south in our motor home to warmer weather, and we won't return to St. Louis until April 2021.
So here are my thoughts. . . . . . When we are in our motor home, we are in our house. Our house (RV) just moves about the country.
We do the same activities when we are in our motor home that we do when we are at our brick and motor home in St. Louis. We go to the grocery store, we go get gasoline at the gas station, we go to doctor's appointments, we ride our bikes and order restaurant take-out food. We visit our friends & family outdoors six feet apart.
When we are on the road with our motor home, we make campground reservations by phone or online, in advance, so there is very little contact with people as we travel. I'm sure the Canadians are observing the same precautions that we are as they travel south into the US. We always wear our masks and our behaviors on the road in our RV are exactly like we do when we are at home. When we are in a campground, we wear our masks and social distance, just like we do at home. My husband and I are 70 & 71, and I don't believe that the traveling RV community of snowbirds are "super spreaders" of Covid-19.
CindyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:39 AM   #45

FWIW, an FBO is the "fixed base operator" on an airfield, who has the authority to provide field access, and usually has the fuel contract for the airport.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #46
Have Camera will Travel

Not RV related but I know of a Canadian that has a house in the US. He went to the border and told them he had a water main break at the house and needed to get down to make sure it was fixed and cleaned up.
Not long after arriving at the house border officials showed up and found that he had lied about the water main break. He was told to leave and is not allowed into the US for 5 years.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #47
Kanadian Kamper

There’s been a number of Canadians spending significant amounts of money to go South during COVID.

Transportation costs, for themselves and their rigs, then the additional health coverage costs while outside Canada is way more than I need to spend to get through this winter.

Hopefully things will get better for future winters.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #48

I lived in Ottawa for a while and I speak from experience when I say that the coldest days are not the worst at all. The worst days are those with snowstorms and wind when minus five degrees feels like minus 35...No kidding....Also funny were those days when the snow thawed, the roads were wet and the next morning everything was completely frozen. You could even skate to work on the streets… ;-) Of course, it worked way better on the Rideau Canal heheh…But without suitable footwear, you literally didn't get very far. I don't know how many times I fell on my backside during that time. :-) So you better avoid Canadian Winter – which is hard and very very long!!
forestbrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Eh View Post
Not RV related but I know of a Canadian that has a house in the US. He went to the border and told them he had a water main break at the house and needed to get down to make sure it was fixed and cleaned up.
Not long after arriving at the house border officials showed up and found that he had lied about the water main break. He was told to leave and is not allowed into the US for 5 years.
Now he doesn't need to check on another water main break for 5 years. How fortunate he is to not have to check again for a while.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote