Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2022, 01:48 PM   #1

Cancellation Policy ?

I was considering booking a stay at a campground and noticed this in their cancellation policy which I’m not sure how I feel about it on one hand I get it if I call with less than two days notice for whatever reason and I can’t honor my reservation I lose my full fee I get that.

However, if I don’t call at all and don’t show up I’m considered a no-show then I’m banned from ever booking another reservation and any future reservation will be forfeited.

Why the campground has my money and now I’m being punished because they can't book the site again and double dip ?

BTW this is a campground that if I ever were to be banned from it wouldn't break my heart. .

Thought's ?

Cancellation Policy:

Less than 2 days notice or “No-show”
Full fee will be charged in the event of a “no-show” or if a guest gives less than 2 days notice. If your reservation is no-show you won’t be allowed to book reservations and any future reservations already booked will be forfeited.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
Defender of America

Would like to think there is a reason for this. But probably not a good one though. There has to be some backstory to this policy. This reminds me of the joke - "What good is power if you can't abuse it?"

My gut reaction would be to not make a reservation (ever).
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Team

I feel like there's not really a "right" answer when it comes to CGs or even state parks and their cancellation policies. No matter what they do someone is either going to abuse the system or be upset about losing their money.

Banishment from ever booking any sites in the future does seem a little harsh though. I can only image this was done after a few ruined it for the many.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:24 PM   #4

A private business can have whatever policies they want as long as they don't violate laws. So they can't discriminate against someone in a "protected group" such ad handicap, gender, ethnicity, etc but they could say only motorhome not trailers.

They can also have whatever absurd cancellation policies they want. Usually overly strict ones like this are based on previous issues.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:27 PM   #5

I guess I really don't see anything too upsetting in this policy. I get it stuff happens and plans changed. But you can't call up and say "hey I can't make it sorry". So not only is the campground stuck with an empty spot, but some camper looking for a last minute getaway is out og luck as well.

Several places I've went to this year had mentioned in their rules that "weather is not a valid cancelation reason" or something to that effect.

Like Iwritecode said there probably is no right answer but I have a feeling that more and more campgrounds are going to try an limit those just window shopping.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #6

That policy probably exists so that IF campground management feels that the camper holding the reservation was just trying to place safe bets for the future, they can keep the fees and stop it from happening in the future. It doesn't necessarily mean that they won't refund (full or partial) should there be a legitimate reason.

A friend was headed to Wyoming earlier this year when his truck transmission let go 3 days into his trip. It took a week for the GM dealership to get a new transmission installed. He called the campground in Wyoming, explained what had happened and gave his best estimate of when he could arrive. They worked with him and, after some 500 mile driving days, was able to enjoy his planned trip.

Just saying that sometimes policies are written for management discretion. Not necessarily all cases, but sometimes.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:30 PM   #7

It's probably a campground that has had a lot of 'no shows' in the past or wants to deter 'no shows.' Sounds like they've had a problem with 'no shows.'

We had a season where we had to cancel some reservations and ask if we could move reservations to a later date. In all cases where we had to move reservations, the campgrounds were able to accommodated us without an additional charge.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
it if I call with less than two days notice for whatever reason and I can’t honor my reservation I lose my full fee I get that.

However, if I don’t call at all and don’t show up I’m considered a no-show then I’m banned from ever booking another reservation and any future reservation will be forfeited.
I'm all for policies like this.

Time after time I've been forced to reserve a less desirable site because it was already "taken" by someone else. Then I sit there looking at the site I wanted sit empty for the entire time I wanted to book it.

I can totally get life causing someone to get there late/the next day. Even then, a call if at all possible is the polite thing to do.

NOT calling to cancel when you KNOW you're not gonna make the entire reservation period is a true Richard move. Someone else likely would have loved to have the spot you locked out. Please PM me the campground so I can put them at the top of my list of places to reserve.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #9

They might also have people reversing charges on credit cards.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider View Post
Even then, a call if at all possible is the polite thing to do.

NOT calling to cancel when you KNOW you're not gonna make the entire reservation period is a true Richard move.
The problem is, your assume it's just a jerk-move. I've had a couple of no-shows in my past simply due to mistakes on my part.

In one, I made a reservation, forgot to log it in my spreadsheet and then my plans changed. I completely forgot about it until well after the stay.

In another case, just in August, actually. I got stupid and made a reservation for August when I meant September. I never showed up and it was a great site.

I felt bad in both cases, but do I deserve to be told it was a "Richard move" or banned from ever booking at either again? Crap happens!
Old 10-05-2022, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider View Post
I'm all for policies like this.

Time after time I've been forced to reserve a less desirable site because it was already "taken" by someone else. Then I sit there looking at the site I wanted sit empty for the entire time I wanted to book it.

I can totally get life causing someone to get there late/the next day. Even then, a call if at all possible is the polite thing to do.

NOT calling to cancel when you KNOW you're not gonna make the entire reservation period is a true Richard move. Someone else likely would have loved to have the spot you locked out. Please PM me the campground so I can put them at the top of my list of places to reserve.

Hi Moonrider the campground is Riverwalk RV Park on the Yadkin River in Jonesville, NC

Personally because of this policy I will never make a reservation there because I don't agree with the fact that if I don't call for any reason on why I am not showing up and you have already have my money that I would be banned from future reservations.

So I don't have to be concerned about ever being labelled a Richard.

Same goes for campgrounds that don't allow Alcohol, Dog Fencing, Etc basically anything I don't agree with..... I respect the policies and just go somewhere else.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The problem is, your assume it's just a jerk-move. I've had a couple of no-shows in my past simply due to mistakes on my part.
Read what I said again. I'll BOLD the part you seemed to miss here. Mistakes are one thing but:

NOT calling to cancel when you KNOW you're not gonna make the entire reservation period is a true Richard move