Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Canopies - good, bad, recommendations

Thinking about adding a canopy to my gear. I have a huge awning on my camper but see a future requirement for something that I can move around the campsite.

I go into this knowing that I have seen many of these balled up and left at the camp dumpster after a heavy storm.

What are your recommendation towards a brand & model to buy or even any gotchas to prepare for?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

If you are considering one with screening, these are great. Stood up to storm that damaged 5er next to us. Was concerned about being waterproof, but no leaks.

https://www.amazon.com/Tailgaterz-43.../dp/B00KJNLYFS

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

The magnetic door is a fine feature.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Always Learning

The Clam is the easiest to setup but has a price tag to go with it!

We have a 6-sided Coleman that got flipped a couple Christmases ago. Couple of tears in the awning and one slightly broken piece but it’s still 100% usable.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

If your looking for something that will withstand very high winds and minimal damage if they get above 45 mph I can recommend the company that makes the military's GP (General Purpose) Mediums or large. They can be order to custom size.

They also have a hole in the ceiling for a stove.

Let me know I can pull the storage in the back of my TT and get the receipt and company. My 12' x 12' ft circular 12 ft center pitch was $875

I try and purchase things 1 time in life so the price might seem steep but it will last at least 15 years unless Dorothy & Tin Man arrive.

With heater it is a true military 4 season tent.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #6

The key to keeping a canopy upright and safe is to follow the directions. Very few people who set up an EZ-up actually set the guys that go with it which leads to the problems in windy conditions. Some sporting events / concerts prohibit setup of EZ-ups because there is simply no place to secure the guys on a paved parking lot. Don't get me wrong. I don't always set the guys either, but I either take it down or set them when windy weather approaches!
kraftengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #7

A little pricy but worth it:

PahaQue's Family Camping Tents -- Cottonwood LT 12x12 Green - CW201

Stands up high winds extremely well. Only 16 pounds and rolls up into a very manageable size. I keep mine under my sofa. Here's a pic:

Had this one for about 7 years...looks like new.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #8

Our campsite recently banned all canopies. They are not strong enough to stand up to even a modest storm. They not only came down but the poles would do damage to other things. I was using a 10x20 King Canopy (car port) which I tied down to 4 sand hogs. This survived a couple hurricanes. It took 2 people about 20 minutes to erect and didn't look all that attractive but it suited our purpose. You can add sides with screened windows for an extra cost.
bbbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #9

KISS.... keep it simple. Get a 10x10 open air to start with. Some are way to high, even at the lowest setting. drill a hole in each leg about 6-8 inches down from stop holder to lower the canopy down a little more. The feet have a hole in them to drive a stake if on dirt or weigh down with heavy object. If the wind is blowing too hard with these 'stabilizers'.... the canopy should be taken down anyway.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
Grammar Pedant

I see these on a fairly regular basis -- probably see one in each CG I stay at. Most often, I see them set up over the CG-provided picnic tables. They offer shelter from rain and cover for hot sun. I've never seen anyone's get destroyed by wind ... not where I camp, anyway.

For me, when it rains, I stand under an awning or tree ... and my family goes inside. So, there have been very few times that the value of the canopy would be worth the hassle of hauling it and setting it up. But, this is a very personal thing. It's also geographical. In Colorado, the type of rain we have is much different than the rain I had growing up in SW Washington.

You may think they're the greatest things in the world. And, for you, that's exactly right. I've never made the plunge and doubt I will.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
A little pricy but worth it:

PahaQue's Family Camping Tents -- Cottonwood LT 12x12 Green - CW201

Stands up high winds extremely well. Only 16 pounds and rolls up into a very manageable size. I keep mine under my sofa. Here's a pic:
Had this one for about 7 years...looks like new.
This open air version looks really nice, but we carry a screened canopy with us, and the only time we bother setting it up is for bug protection, and only if we will be there for a few days. We are also noticing many campgrounds prohibit them.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbymac View Post
Our campsite recently banned all canopies. They are not strong enough to stand up to even a modest storm. They not only came down but the poles would do damage to other things. I was using a 10x20 King Canopy (car port) which I tied down to 4 sand hogs. This survived a couple hurricanes. It took 2 people about 20 minutes to erect and didn't look all that attractive but it suited our purpose. You can add sides with screened windows for an extra cost.
X2
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #13

We have a Clam and love it. Incredibly fast and easy to put up and take down.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #14

Thank you all for your input. When I started here, I was thinking about just a sun shade.

Some of you seeded my mind and I now have decided that my shade also requires a screen.

I finally got around to looking at the "Clam." Way cool. You can tell that they are proud of it by the way it is priced.

Online reviews led me to an observation about the Clam, It looks to be around 6 foot long in the bag. That size will require a re-think on storage.

I thought I had found the Clam for $280 and just went looking now and found it for $255 no tax & shipping. It will be here this Friday.

Thanks again for you thoughts...

PS.
If you are shopping online for a specific item, remember to clear your browsing history each day you start a search (or it will keep returning that first price you found). Prices online go up and down day to day. By cleaning your browsing history and searching again you will be able to see the changes in the price from the same vendors.
YMMV
Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #15

When our slide is in we can tuck about 1.5' of the Clam behind the couch with the rest of it along the wall. Enjoy your purchase.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #16

Resurrecting this thread because I'm in the market for a canopy. Like Wobbles observed, mine ended up in the campground dumpster yesterday. And it wasn't from a heavy storm, just winds that were somewhat stronger than expected at Oregon Inlet, NC. (I've used it there previously in stronger winds with extra reinforcing guy lines, something I failed to do this time. Again, stronger winds than expected.) Not too sad about it; it was probably 30 years old, cheap to begin with, and starting to show its age.

So what's today's consensus on a decent canopy for camping? Of those mentioned here, the Clam seems the best option. Anyone used it in winds of, say, 10-15 mph? Other pearls & pitfalls?

Other models in that same general price range (or less) not mentioned here? My main goal is shade in sunny campsites, at least 10' x 10'. Something sturdy enough to withstand at least a moderate wind. Easy, one-person setup and takedown, and relatively lightweight. Preferably tall enough for my 6'4" frame not to have to duck (or hit my head!) when coming and going. Screening is nice but not essential.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:02 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I'm in the market for a canopy. Like Wobbles observed, mine ended up in the campground dumpster yesterday. And it wasn't from a heavy storm, just winds that were somewhat stronger than expected at Oregon Inlet, NC. (I've used it there previously in stronger winds with extra reinforcing guy lines, something I failed to do this time. Again, stronger winds than expected.) Not too sad about it; it was probably 30 years old, cheap to begin with, and starting to show its age.

So what's today's consensus on a decent canopy for camping? Of those mentioned here, the Clam seems the best option. Anyone used it in winds of, say, 10-15 mph? Other pearls & pitfalls?

Other models in that same general price range (or less) not mentioned here? My main goal is shade in sunny campsites, at least 10' x 10'. Something sturdy enough to withstand at least a moderate wind. Easy, one-person setup and takedown, and relatively lightweight. Preferably tall enough for my 6'4" frame not to have to duck (or hit my head!) when coming and going. Screening is nice but not essential.
I realize you said one-person setup but most pop-up style, 4 leg canopies are better served with two people. I've actually seen people do unseen damage (stressing the rivets/connectors) by trying to open/close these by themselves which then contributed to failure later.

With that said if that is the style you want to continue with, the HD/Commercial pop-ups made by companies like MasterTent, Gorilla Max and TentCraft that use hexagonal framing and metal/aluminum connectors become the last canopy you'll ever need to buy.

Not cheap but neither is their quality.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I realize you said one-person setup but most pop-up style, 4 leg canopies are better served with two people. I've actually seen people do unseen damage (stressing the rivets/connectors) by trying to open/close these by themselves which then contributed to failure later.

With that said if that is the style you want to continue with, the HD/Commercial pop-ups made by companies like MasterTent, Gorilla Max and TentCraft that use hexagonal framing and metal/aluminum connectors become the last canopy you'll ever need to buy.

Not cheap but neither is their quality.
I will use another person to help set up when possible, but I'm often camping alone, or at least making or breaking camp alone.

Thanks for the brand suggestions. I may look into those.
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote