Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #41

They can be a pain in the.......neck

Your trailer is new but the sensor may not be. When my RV was new, the sensor went off all the time. I stopped by the factory, they put a new one in and I haven’t had a problem since.
Diane fromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #42

We had the same thing happen...couldn’t get it to stop...our pour dog she was I. Pain from the noise....I had to take her outside quickly until my husband checked it out, he hit the reset button. That seemed to stop it
tschmitt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #43

Ours went off and I just cut or disconnected the wire, the dealer replaced it as it was defective
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #44

I had one go bad right at the warranty. The replacement has lasted 2 years, and developed a sense of humor about the wee hours of the morning. It’s disconnected for now. I’ll find a better system, and use it.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #45

Smile Dano

We had similar experience. Our csensor would go off. Found the source: our fire in the outdoor pit would die down and start smoking. The smoke would blow towards our camper at 2:00am and set off alarm. Think simple-it worked for us.

Dan
2016 Cherokee
Danielrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #46

Smile Dano

We had similar experience. Our censor would go off. Found the source: our fire in the outdoor pit would die down and start smoking. The smoke would blow towards our camper at 2:00am and set off alarm. Think simple-it worked for us.

Dan
2016 Cherokee
Danielrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #47
RxColt

Alcohol

This has happened 2-3 times with our CO detector...a guest dropped a cocktail a few feet from the unit and it went off for 15 mins. Then, it went off while my wife had some candles burning in the kitchen. The third time confounded me for an hour until I found a vodka bottle had tipped over in the adjacent cabinet which caused the alarm...onced cleaned up, it stopped. So, the moral of the story is these things are really sensitive (and cheap). And maybe, we’ve got too much liquor hanging around. BTW, 2017 Rockwood Ultralite TT WS2902 and absolutely love it!!!!
Astles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #48
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
CO detector is on the ceiling.
Propane (LP) detector is on the floor.

Larry

Don't know what RV you have but every RV I've looked at and every one discussed on these forums has the CO detector and LP detector combined into one unit mounted 8 to 10 inches from the floor. Smoke alarms are on the ceiling.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #49

This may be a longshot but I am wondering if there is a possibility that you were stuck with an older sensor. These have a life expectancy of around 6 years. Check the year of manufacture on the unit.
wsjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #50

Ours started beeping when our trailer was new, too. I'd hit the mute button and it would be quite for a short time, then beep again.

I pulled it out of the wall and cut the wires after making sure there was no propane leak.

We took the RV back to the dealer and had them check it, too. They chided me for removing the sensor, and then told me there was nothing leaking back there. I bought a new sensor, and we were fine until two nights ago.

It is now five years later, and I've learned that these things expire after about four years. The instructions say they will give off an End Of Life Code. When this happens, you push the mute button, and it silences for three days, then starts nagging you again.

We are waiting for our new sensor to arrive, and hoping it isn't defective like the first one.

In the first case, the sensor was defective. In the second case, it just reached the end of its life.
Wandering Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #51

Our beeping turned out to be a low battery. The battery failed to charge on the road because of a blown fuse in the junction box where the tow power cable enters the trailer. Haven't had a problem since. If they die after 4 to 5 years will my 6yr extended warranty cover it?
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 AM   #52

I sprayed Lysol spray lightly in the trailer with the slides in - took a long time before the sensors quit sounding.
LQQKing2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #53

For my work I use a TIF combustible gas detector and a Fieldpiece CO detector. The combined cost of those two pieces of equipment is around $600.00. The cost of most of the combined CO/LP detectors/alarms in RVs is around $70.00. This should tell you something about the quality and efficacy of the units used in RVs.

Bruce
Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #54

I had a Safe-T-Alert (Model 35-742) ithat died prematurely it is a known problem was replaced by manufacturer.
Mikecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #55

So did you get your answer what was rthe problem? Just want to know In case I run in same problem
loly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #56

Did u find out what the problem was? And how to fix it. I like to know in case I run into same problem.
loly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:55 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoods View Post
Our beeping turned out to be a low battery. The battery failed to charge on the road because of a blown fuse in the junction box where the tow power cable enters the trailer. Haven't had a problem since. If they die after 4 to 5 years will my 6yr extended warranty cover it?
That’s a good question. Let us know if you find out.

I would be pessimistic, since that’s a life expectancy issue, rather than one of malfunction.
Wandering Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Don't know what RV you have but every RV I've looked at and every one discussed on these forums has the CO detector and LP detector combined into one unit mounted 8 to 10 inches from the floor. Smoke alarms are on the ceiling.
2017 Georgetown351DS CO detector on ceiling above bed. Just fyi.
Propane detector low on wall under control panel and it went bad at one year old. Replaced. I have replaced propane detectors in three different campers. They do not tend to live long.
msalyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #59

Regarding my question about coverage undew EW.

"That’s a good question. Let us know if you find out.

I would be pessimistic, since that’s a life expectancy issue, rather than one of malfunction."

I'll let you know in 3 years ha ha. And I agree it's probably maintenanceit rather than watranty. Furthermore, the $100 deductible might exceed the cost of the replacement.
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #60

I've had a couple campers with the Safe-T-Alert. All had issues. On the back is manufacture date. I think the are supposed to be good for 3 years. My Mh has it mounted in hallway by bathroom. I disconnected and purchased a different brand and mounted it away from the bathroom. No more problems so far
johndewey is offline   Reply With Quote