Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

Carefree of Colorado awning rain dump

My Carefree owner's manual for the power awning indicates it has an automatic rain dump feature which works (by gravity) only when the awning is at the flat pitch, which is straight out. It says the feature does not work if one end of the awning is lowered. So my interpretation is that there are two different ways to dump water from the awing when it rains: by the traditional method of lowering one side or leaving the awning level and using the automatic method.

I'm wondering if others who have this awning can tell me 1) Am I interpreting this correctly? and 2) Is this auto-dump feature reliable?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My Carefree owner's manual for the power awning indicates it has an automatic rain dump feature which works (by gravity) only when the awning is at the flat pitch, which is straight out. It says the feature does not work if one end of the awning is lowered. So my interpretation is that there are two different ways to dump water from the awing when it rains: by the traditional method of lowering one side or leaving the awning level and using the automatic method.

I'm wondering if others who have this awning can tell me 1) Am I interpreting this correctly? and 2) Is this auto-dump feature reliable?
Don't know about the Carefree, but the Dometics' I've had sure aren't.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #3

The automatic dump feature will work, but it requires a buildup of water to cause it to dump. Any water pooling on the awning will stretch the material, so you can picture what happens after many such cycles.
I just drop one end.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #4

bakken has it correct. If you lower one end you will have a continous runoff and not accumulation of water (weight) on your awning material. I had a Carefree but no methode of lowering one end, just the auto dump feature. Yes, it works and only a few gallons of water will pool before it dumps - but a few gallons is anywhere from 8-24 lbs of weight which strecthes the fabric and is generally not a good thing. Nice feature if you forget to lower on end or do not have the capability and it rains while you are out or do not expect it. So, bottom line, lower one end and be happy.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

Thanks to all. That makes very good sense. I can't see the wisdom in letting water accumulate at all.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote