Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Cargo weight

I was thinking about cargo weight and how much cargo weight people carry. Let’s say I have a fifth wheel that can carry 2,000lbs of weight, I don’t think I could carry that much weight. I’m not talking about how much water weight you carry. This is about clothes, food, beer, chairs, stoves, grills. I’m going to have to load my camper up with what I usually carry and find a scale. I don’t think I carry 2,000lbs of weight. I might be able to pull a bigger fifth wheel with my SRW.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

I don't think I can get it DOWN to 2,000 lbs.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

My CCC is 4000 LBS, I carry close to 3300lbs on a normal basis. Mine is a toyhauler and my tow is 1600 lbs of that. If I dont carry my toy or water Im probably looking at (3300-1600-800) 900 lbs in gear and food that is in there for a normal trip.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I’m not talking about how much water weight you carry.
Why not? It matters and is included in that 2,000 lbs. With a 40 gallon fresh water tank that I keep 1/2 full or more (you'd be amazed at how often campgrounds lose water- just happened to me last week mid-shower) and then 5 waste water tanks- there's often some water in them (I'm good at keeping the grays completely empty but say 5 gallons each in the 2 black tanks to keep things wet). And then there's the 10 gallon water heater. 20 + 5 + 5 + 10 = 320 lbs. which is 15% of your total cargo carrying capacity.

Then there's the upgrades/add-ons. Extra batteries, inverter, solar, generator, you name it. Minor weight increases for better tires, wheels, shocks, etc. If they weren't there at the factory, they don't count against that 2,000 lbs.

That's before you even start looking at "true" cargo- which really is what I assume you were asking. Every little thing adds up.

My guess is that all but the very most minimalistic weekender adds WAY more than they think they do to the rig from it's yellow-stickered dry weight.

--

We'll ignore that there can be large discrepancies between the advertised "dry" cargo carrying capacity vs. the actual sticker carrying capacity once you add in options (many of which are "required" by the manufacturer). I tested that with my fifth wheel a long time ago:
Dry Weights & Truth in Advertising | Learn To RV
Old 01-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #5

I think that anyone who is guessing at the weight that they carry would really be surprised at the actual weight that they carry.

I know that we carried close to 4000lbs, with our last camper.

ccc weight: propane, water, options not weighed at the factory,extra batteries, extra TVs, food, clothes, grills, chairs, bikes, coolers, towels, toiletries, toys, games, dvds , computers, tools, beer, dishes, pots, pans, blankets, sheets, pets stuff, kids stuff, jack, eazy up, cleaning stuff............ the list goes on and on.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 PM   #6

And not to mention, all the crap the DW is going to add to it as time goes on, hopefully she doesn't see my response, she see's it as a challenge to add more, she just added a full size hammock and frame this last summer, she wants a big screened-in tent next, I am putting my foot down, I will let you know how that works out for me . The tools, the wood, charcoal.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo, weight