Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Boondocker

Carlisle Radial Trails on my new rig...should I be concerned?

We just purchased a 2009 Rockwood 8317SS travel trailer that was an ex rental...it was used by a movie company as a trailer for some of the actors in the movie filmed locally....so it has only moved less than 50miles before we bought it...

I have been on these forums for the past week and have been seeing alot of horror threads of crap tires blowing on the highway. So I checked the name brand of the tires on my coach...Carlisle Radial Trail 225/75R15 C Rated.

The reviews I have read on these have been horrid, but they are are all reviews of tires failing 2007 and earlier. Has Carlisle stepped up their game and started making a tire that will carry the coach for longer than 1 trip? Or am I set up for imminent failure?
I can not see a manufactured date stamped on the sidewall at all so I dont know if they are made in 2009 or 08.....

Any and all thought would be appreciated.

Tim

BC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I bought Carlisle's on my Trailmanor in in 2007, with no problems. I sold that trailer in 2008, and the new owners have not had problems, either.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Tire id date of mfg

Look closely, there should be a date stamp molded into the tire on one side only, It should show the week of the year and then the year. Such as

3210 would be thirty second week and 2010

1209 would be twelfth week of 2009

And it should have country where made, such as CHINA or CANADA

I may be wrong, if I am somebody correct me. A "C" rated tire max speed is 55 MPH for a travel trailer tire.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Look closely, there should be a date stamp molded into the tire on one side only, It should show the week of the year and then the year. Such as

3210 would be thirty second week and 2010

1209 would be twelth week of 2009

And it should have country where made, such as CHINA or CANADA

I may be wrong, if I am somebody correct me. A "C" rated tire max speed is 55 MPH for a travel trailer tire.
I think you have to run the DOT numbers through a database to be sure about the country. Those are available on the net.

My C rated ST tires have all been rated to 65 mph.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
Boondocker

There is a stamp on each tire....a number with a circle around it...the number on all 4 is 2708. This stamp stands alone from all the rest of the information that is on each tire....would this be the mfg date?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
You got it right!

Twenty seventh week of 2008.

Which should be around the first week of July of 2008
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

I would be concerned, but not overly so. I had Carlisle tires on my old TT I bought in 2005. That little trailer went a lot of places, including a trip from San Antonio to Tennessee, and the same tires went with the trailer when I traded it for my 5th wheel last year. I had one flat, and that was a nail in the tire. Otherwise, no issues.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

I have Carlisles on our TT, I replaced the cheapo Chinese knockoffs. from my research all the failures were with the "C" rated Carlisles. I have "E" rated Carlisles and have over 5k miles on them and they still look good. we have a Disney trip in Nov. and I feel safe going that distance without worrying about a blowout.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #9

Dodge guy, are your tires 205 75 R14's or 15"? I have those in 14" on my trailer, and have had to replace 2 out of 4 so far... I really would like a D rated R 14" trailer tire to replace these C rated tires with. I think these C tires are pretty bad, for the size and weight of my camper. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
49 year camping veteran

On my last tt, at 5 yrs old I blew 2 in short order. Tread was great and tires showed no cracking.
Replaced with D's from les schwab.

Will be replacing these on the new TT with D- rated next year. Can't believe they go with C's.

At least I see that the tire well above the tires is now metal instead of fabric over wood. The other tires blowing really destroyed the other wells.
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Boondocker

Pretty tapped out at this point as I have to replace the rubber on the TV due to cracked sidewalls from sitting in the sun for years on end....anything I need to keep an eye on as far as the TT tires go when towing? Pull over and feel the tread for overheating when on the road? Tire pressure?
Or do they just blow without provocation?

Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #12
49 year camping veteran

Tire pressure is crucial for tire life. Keeping them off the ground and on blocks as well as keeping them covered during long storage helps the tire life too, but replacing them about every 5 yrs is key, regardless of how they appear.
The rubber just degrades and breaks down in that time.

The manufacturers always go with cheapest and lightest tires, so I've always believed in upgrading the load rating spec when replacing for peace of mind. Nothing like trying to change a trailer flat on the side if a narrow busy road with little or no shoulder.
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #13
Boondocker

I know all about changing a tire in a bad place. Had a rear tire blow at highway speed with a 10 foot camper on the back of my truck.
Had to unhook the camper and lift it up into the air on the hydraulic jacks so I could jack up the truck to change the tire. the spare which is located under the truck was nearly impossible to get out as it had not been removed in years. I tell ya...having the camper WAY up in the air... My truck jacked up...being on the shoulder of the highway with only a foot between where I was working and traffic going by....scary to say the least! My wife at the time, would warn me when a semi was coming and I would move far away from my truck...thought the whole thing was gonna come crashing down....
To top it all off....the blowout flapping around on my rim destroyed my exhaust and pushed it into the rear quarter crushing it.

We all came out of it safe and after 3 hours, got the tire changed and went on to have a great camping trip.

....I think I just derailed my own thread!!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Camper View Post
Pretty tapped out at this point as I have to replace the rubber on the TV due to cracked sidewalls from sitting in the sun for years on end....anything I need to keep an eye on as far as the TT tires go when towing? Pull over and feel the tread for overheating when on the road? Tire pressure?
Or do they just blow without provocation?
I am a believer that most tires that "blow out" are have actually gone flat 1st. You can't feel that in the drivers seat, then after a couple of miles that tire shreds. My DD and SIL had that happen on a trip last spring, when the campers in our group driving behind the trailer noticed the trailer start to tilt. After a couple of miles and finally getting a change to pull up beside the camper, that tire started giving up pieces, and we were notified of the problem by 2 way radio.

I use a tire pressure monitoring system to hopefully prevent that situation.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Dodge guy, are your tires 205 75 R14's or 15"? I have those in 14" on my trailer, and have had to replace 2 out of 4 so far... I really would like a D rated R 14" trailer tire to replace these C rated tires with. I think these C tires are pretty bad, for the size and weight of my camper. Randy
I have the 15" tires on mine.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #16

When we bought our 2008 Rockwood it came with these tires..... after 3 blowouts we replaced the all to find that the bands were already unraveling from the insides of the tires that hadn't blown out..... all this happened around the 200+ mile mark on the tires.... carlisle was no help with any repair work that.the defective tires did to the slide above one of the blow outs! We will never own a tire from them purposely again!!! Good luck and I hope you have better luck! Two of or blow outs were on the same 30 mile streach home....
Asmithberry is offline   Reply With Quote