Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #1

Carlisle Tire Failure - Home Safe

Well We just got in from our family weekend. Here is the story

Bought our trailer used one year ago and the tires looked new and never a problem. I check the air before every trip and on every stop I do a visual on the unit.

We stopped at our favorite store in Scots Hill TN about 10 miles from our place on the river. After shopping I done the visual and seen no problems.

Drove about 10 miles and pulled in. Made the turn into the drive and watching for clearance in the mirror I seen a low tire. Left Rear

Just got home and now see signs on the right front of a possible slipped belt.

NEVER felt it go but here it is. Clearly a belt let go and I stopped just in time.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0317.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	261  

MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 AM   #2

You are a victim of the Carlisle Curse.......
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #3

Mike,

So how old were your tires?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #4

Trailer is an 04 and I cant speak for the miles and maintenance until I bought it used in 7-06

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Mike,

So how old were your tires?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Hi Mike, Just wondering where the tires were made, as opposed the brand. There was a piece on the news the other night about problems with a number of tires made in China. In that I don't know a lot about tires I may be a little off, but I seem to recall that they were built without a belt that is supposed to keep the reinforcing belts from slipping. Other than that, having Carlisle tires on your rig seems to be the equivalent of having a death wish, at least among the majority of members who take the time to write about such things on the trailering newsgroups I have belonged to over the years.

FRF members might want to take a look at these reviews of Carlisle ST (Special Trailer) tires at Epinions.
http://www.epinions.com/Carlisle_Rad...splay_~reviews

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #6

Looks like China in 08/03, Thanks for the link.

Now to find the best replacement for the 5

Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRimmer View Post
Looks like China in 08/03, Thanks for the link.

Now to find the best replacement for the 5

Mike

The tires I have on mine are also Chinese. Greenball is the manufacture. I've got both Towmaster and Transmaster (different tread patern). My trailer came with load range D tires Towmaster and when I had my blowout last Aug (hit some metal) I wanted some E range replacement and an extra. I couldn't find an E rated tire in a Goodyear or Mich in the size I have (225x75x15 I think) so I went with the Greenballs.

FWIW though, your tires were 4 years old and if you get 5 on an RV you're lucky. Things just sit too much. So it's a good idea that you are going to replace them all now. My old 5'er had 4 year old Carlisles on it and they all decided to go the same trip. One on the way and 2 on the way back. Ended up getting 5 new tires before I made it home.

greg
Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #8

Mine are load range c and I am looking at load d

The marathons still have a good rating but they do not make a load d in 205/75/15

Carlisle does

LOL
Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #9

Kelly Springfield has a US made tire is load range c that I may purchase.

My local tire dealer told me that he was not seeing the new carlisles fail and he had never seen a Kelly fail if maintained properly.

hmmmmmm
Old 07-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Kelly Springfield has a US made tire is load range c that I may purchase.

My local tire dealer told me that he was not seeing the new carlisles fail and he had never seen a Kelly fail if maintained properly.

hmmmmmm
I think all travel trailer tires are a crap-shoot when it comes to age and failure. Newer is just better. These things sit in one spot for weeks and months on end, sometimes longer. A tire needs to be used to last longer. The chemicals inside the tire's rubber needs to work its way from the inside to the outside to keep the tire conditioned. Have you ever seen a travel trailer with worn out tires? I haven't. Have you ever seen a farm or hot-shot trailer with worn out tires? I have and plenty of them. They could be the exact same tires that you have on your trailer (ok maybe not since yours are a C and theirs are an E or F)but since they get used they last longer (well, miles anyway). 5 years tops on a travel trailer and less if they are exposed to UV all the time. And I always carry 2 spares. I've been bit in my 4th point of contact once too many times to only carry 1 spare.

Make sure you got you some good tires for our Arkansass trip. But if you have issues you've got my number. Heck, If I had to I'd drop my rig and run out to your place to pick yours up if you had truck problems. WE ARE NOT CANCELING THIS TRIP!!

greg
Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #11

Told the wife this am I will have four new tires on the trailer before the Arkansas trip and use the new carlisle for a spare and another used carlisle for a second spare.

Guess thats my plan at this time.

Mike
Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Told the wife this am I will have four new tires on the trailer before the Arkansas trip and use the new carlisle for a spare and another used carlisle for a second spare.

Guess thats my plan at this time.

Mike
Sounds like a good plan to me!!
Old 07-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #13

OUCH! I've got OEM Carlisles on my '03 FR Flagstaff 25LB. (Oh, one new one from blow out 2 years ago. Guess I better save up. Seems there ought to be a safety recall on them like Firestone did few years back! I'm going with GY Marathons.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
RAC

speaking of tires..............I'm standing there looking at the tires saturday and thinking to myself. "Self" these suckers are too underinflated. So I read the tire data.....ST 205 75R 15 Load Range C....max psi 50 lbs. Ok, I know what all that means.....so I am still thinking to myself......"self" Why are they so dang compressed? No wonder I have so dang much drag when I slow down.....So today I am searching the internet and checking to see who manufactures a D range or possibly even an e range tire in that size.......bzzzzzt wrong answer. So, does anyone know of a D range tire? Has anyone had issues with their C range tires? Has anyone made any significant tire improvements, i.e. rims size? Am I just overly concerned, need to chill out, and have a beer?
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #15

Carlisle has a D that no dealer (around me) stocks and I will be going with the goodyears or kellys for replacement. Still a c rating.

Being that you unit is new I would not panic just check them often. I have read somewhere that carlisle has fixed the problem and only the 03-05 dates have the biggest potential to come apart.

Mike
Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #16
RAC

not panicking, I am sure someone knows a lot more about what should be on there than me....I was looking to see if perhaps there were options available than what I have been able to find. My simple mind tells me if I have a "harder" tire, it rolls smoother than one which appears to be squishy, hopefully pulling easier and saving gas. I dunno, just checking out the potential improvements. I would probably go with GY as well.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote