Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 58
Carport for Southern California

Hi all,
I have searched for awhile on the site for carports that people have but did not see any companies that do business in Southern California. I know there are companies here but i like to hear from you guys first because of your first hand knowledge. I may still build my own but wanted to get opinions from people that have one.
Any info on a company that does business in Southern California?
Any ideas on building my own?
Anything you wish you would have done different?
Anything else you may think is relevent?
Pics, dos and don'ts, ideas welecome.
Looking to have Ram truck and upcoming new TT (24') sit side by side. So maybe 22 x 26?
Thanks.
__________________
Buzz
TT - 2020 Mini Lite 2205S
TV - 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn w/5.7 Hemi
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Payson, az
Posts: 3,390
take a drive to home depot or lowes. they generally have storage sheds in the parking lot. i've also seen carports set up in the parking lot. if they are not there go in and ask.
__________________
2015 cardinal model 3825fl
2015 dodge ram 3500 dually
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
take a drive to home depot or lowes. they generally have storage sheds in the parking lot. i've also seen carports set up in the parking lot. if they are not there go in and ask.
thanks. I did look at Home Depot site and they looked like they were not as well made as others i have seen online so i was hoping someone with a carport that that knows they deliver to Southern California.
__________________
Buzz
TT - 2020 Mini Lite 2205S
TV - 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn w/5.7 Hemi
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
Member
 
Mr Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballbuzz View Post
...I have searched for awhile on the site for carports that people have but did not see any companies that do business in Southern California.
The two that immediately come to mind, with generally good reputations are:

https://socalsheds.com/

..that can get as fancy as this, when it comes to RV's.

...and of course, the Southern California locations of national behemoth:

https://www.tuffshed.com/

Their options run the gamut, based upon your needs, desires and budget. The ones I've seen from these two seemed a good value for the price and convenience.

Please let us know how it goes!
__________________
Mr. Brian
2020 Forest River Forester 3011 DSF
Mr Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bow WA
Posts: 729
Look for a carport that has steel beams for a frame. These can be easily fitted together to make the design that you need. You will need to go inside at Home Depot and look at the various options. This will give you a frame that will accommodate your needs. We did this and it was very easy to construct yourself.
................
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Bow WA
Posts: 729
p.s. The beams looked like about 2 x 4s, except they were steel.
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
fredhardy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 157
I built a VersaTube carport for my 2014 Berkshire. 16’ w/40’ L / 15’H. Not hard but needed help installing the sheet metal. It’s perfect here in Phoenix for my Berkshire motorhome. Protection from the sun.
__________________
Fred Hardy
Phoenix, AZ
2014 Berkshire 390BH-60
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
Look for a carport that has steel beams for a frame. These can be easily fitted together to make the design that you need. You will need to go inside at Home Depot and look at the various options. This will give you a frame that will accommodate your needs. We did this and it was very easy to construct yourself.
................
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
thanks, i will do that. I prefer to do everything myself with few exceptions. Cheaper, better quality control and more satisfying.
__________________
Buzz
TT - 2020 Mini Lite 2205S
TV - 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn w/5.7 Hemi
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
RangeMaggotBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Somewhere in the Ozarks...
Posts: 985
If you are capable, definitely build your own. and make it wide enough to put your slide-outs out, if you have them. And cover the sides at least half-way down. Are you going to close in one end? We didn't cause I can pull right through. If you don't close the ends, you can get some canvas tarps (Chicago Canvas Co. was the cheapest we found in the whole country) and bungi cord them up when the trailer is parked inside. Remember- the second-most worst thing for an RV is uv rays. You want to keep it out of the rain and sun as much as possible. What about power? We were next to the garage so power wasn't a problem for us. Good luck!
__________________
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/Diamond pkg.
2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Auto Crew Cab Long Bed
Honda eu2200i generators
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
If you are capable, definitely build your own. and make it wide enough to put your slide-outs out, if you have them. And cover the sides at least half-way down. Are you going to close in one end? We didn't cause I can pull right through. If you don't close the ends, you can get some canvas tarps (Chicago Canvas Co. was the cheapest we found in the whole country) and bungi cord them up when the trailer is parked inside. Remember- the second-most worst thing for an RV is uv rays. You want to keep it out of the rain and sun as much as possible. What about power? We were next to the garage so power wasn't a problem for us. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of closing it on the back and at least half way on the sides. I will have to back it in. I installed a RV hookup last year which is great to have.
__________________
Buzz
TT - 2020 Mini Lite 2205S
TV - 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn w/5.7 Hemi
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 967
What about permits, HOA, neighbors etc? Not many places in SoCal where you can just erect a huge carport unilaterally

__________________
TV - 2020 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW with 6.7 Cummins HO & Aisin 6 spd, 4k payload, 23k towing
2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 8.1 liter (496ci), 4L85e & positraction with 3.73 gears
TT - 2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 3130 QBS
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diegoís craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 356
Don't forget the impact of Santa Ana winds on something that sits up that high.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
california

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.