Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #1

Carport for Southern California

Hi all,
I have searched for awhile on the site for carports that people have but did not see any companies that do business in Southern California. I know there are companies here but i like to hear from you guys first because of your first hand knowledge. I may still build my own but wanted to get opinions from people that have one.
Any info on a company that does business in Southern California?
Any ideas on building my own?
Anything you wish you would have done different?
Anything else you may think is relevent?
Pics, dos and don'ts, ideas welecome.
Looking to have Ram truck and upcoming new TT (24') sit side by side. So maybe 22 x 26?
Thanks.
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #2

take a drive to home depot or lowes. they generally have storage sheds in the parking lot. i've also seen carports set up in the parking lot. if they are not there go in and ask.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
take a drive to home depot or lowes. they generally have storage sheds in the parking lot. i've also seen carports set up in the parking lot. if they are not there go in and ask.
thanks. I did look at Home Depot site and they looked like they were not as well made as others i have seen online so i was hoping someone with a carport that that knows they deliver to Southern California.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballbuzz View Post
...I have searched for awhile on the site for carports that people have but did not see any companies that do business in Southern California.
The two that immediately come to mind, with generally good reputations are:

https://socalsheds.com/

..that can get as fancy as this, when it comes to RV's.

...and of course, the Southern California locations of national behemoth:

https://www.tuffshed.com/

Their options run the gamut, based upon your needs, desires and budget. The ones I've seen from these two seemed a good value for the price and convenience.

Please let us know how it goes!
Old 02-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #5

Look for a carport that has steel beams for a frame. These can be easily fitted together to make the design that you need. You will need to go inside at Home Depot and look at the various options. This will give you a frame that will accommodate your needs. We did this and it was very easy to construct yourself.
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 AM   #6

p.s. The beams looked like about 2 x 4s, except they were steel.
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #7

I built a VersaTube carport for my 2014 Berkshire. 16’ w/40’ L / 15’H. Not hard but needed help installing the sheet metal. It’s perfect here in Phoenix for my Berkshire motorhome. Protection from the sun.
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
Look for a carport that has steel beams for a frame. These can be easily fitted together to make the design that you need. You will need to go inside at Home Depot and look at the various options. This will give you a frame that will accommodate your needs. We did this and it was very easy to construct yourself.
Ram 2500 diesel / FR Surveyor 251rks
thanks, i will do that. I prefer to do everything myself with few exceptions. Cheaper, better quality control and more satisfying.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:43 PM   #9

If you are capable, definitely build your own. and make it wide enough to put your slide-outs out, if you have them. And cover the sides at least half-way down. Are you going to close in one end? We didn't cause I can pull right through. If you don't close the ends, you can get some canvas tarps (Chicago Canvas Co. was the cheapest we found in the whole country) and bungi cord them up when the trailer is parked inside. Remember- the second-most worst thing for an RV is uv rays. You want to keep it out of the rain and sun as much as possible. What about power? We were next to the garage so power wasn't a problem for us. Good luck!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
If you are capable, definitely build your own. and make it wide enough to put your slide-outs out, if you have them. And cover the sides at least half-way down. Are you going to close in one end? We didn't cause I can pull right through. If you don't close the ends, you can get some canvas tarps (Chicago Canvas Co. was the cheapest we found in the whole country) and bungi cord them up when the trailer is parked inside. Remember- the second-most worst thing for an RV is uv rays. You want to keep it out of the rain and sun as much as possible. What about power? We were next to the garage so power wasn't a problem for us. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of closing it on the back and at least half way on the sides. I will have to back it in. I installed a RV hookup last year which is great to have.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #11

What about permits, HOA, neighbors etc? Not many places in SoCal where you can just erect a huge carport unilaterally

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #12

Don't forget the impact of Santa Ana winds on something that sits up that high.
n1acguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california