Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #21

Oddball here - at one time I was huge into CB (like 70's/80's) but have since gotten out of using one. However, I recently ended up with almost 40 middle to upper quality CBs (mostly Cobras) from an auction. Checked them all out ditched the 3 bad ones and put them on Ebay and local sales page. All are sold and all brought prices well over what I expected in 2 months so someone is still using them regularly.
LarryFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:37 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
That's what Google maps and Waze do for me. I often enter a route, not so much to guide me as to watch traffic flow and for it to be aware of where I want to go. That way it may prompt me to vary my route. The suggestions aren't always worthwhile (save 2 minutes out of 2 hours) but sometimes it's enough warning to get off at an exit to avoid a problem.
Waze will also show alternate routes if your selected one is extremely slow or blocked.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Waze will also show alternate routes if your selected one is extremely slow or blocked.
I sometimes get suggestions to reroute in the middle of a trip, in response to real-time traffic conditions.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #24

The problem with waze for RV travel is that it won't necessarily reroute you on a truck route. Also, once you're out in the sticks without cell service it's not usable unless you're already routed.

I also have Sygic but it's useless as far as I'm concerned. I bought and paid for it but was never able to use it and there is zero support. I tried to use it last year in the middle of a trip and it didn't even show the state of Missouri within US maps.

Co-Pilot seems to be a good truck app if you use it all of the time, but it's a little clunky, and very different from other nav apps.

I have found for basic routing, that anything with a route number (US or State) is large enough for a truck, and if it's not, you will be alerted by low clearance or other signage. I back up the cell based nav apps with paper.
The only use I would have had for a CB was for the rare instance where a highway closure occurs.

That said, waze would have come in handy for us last year when we were stopped on US 70 in NM for a rocket launch. We didn't know what was happening, and thought the closure was due to an accident, but it was actually due to a launch. we heard it, but didn't get to see it. If we had known what we were about to miss, I sure would have been looking for it.
Thanks to all who replied, and confirmed that a CB isn't of much use these days.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #25
Part-Time Campground Host

Just finished the CB install in our new TV. To be honest I only turn it on in a traffic jam to see what's up.
I guess it's just a habit from my youth. I still remember my call sign: KDL4635, Handle: GREMLIN, because I drove one.

Actually been thinking about switching to GMRS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75WXST_F_1000X1000_066eb058-bf6e-4d11-b807-b8c602040b34_800x.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	277709  
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:27 PM   #26

I wonder if CB would be used more if it were promoted rather than talked down every time the question comes up.

No doubt apps are better now for traffic but wouldn’t it be fun to communicate with other RVers on the road?
leeshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Just finished the CB install in our new TV. To be honest I only turn it on in a traffic jam to see what's up.
I guess it's just a habit from my youth. I still remember my call sign: KDL4635, Handle: GREMLIN, because I drove one.
I had a 74 GremlinX with the 258. It was pretty spunky once I set it up as a pre-smog engine. Those cars were all motor and gas tank, especially if you had the 304.
I was surprised to see how any AMC is valued as a classic car these days. I also had 3 of their 60s products back in the day.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshearer View Post
I wonder if CB would be used more if it were promoted rather than talked down every time the question comes up.

No doubt apps are better now for traffic but wouldn’t it be fun to communicate with other RVers on the road?
Thsee are folks opinions. Why would you promote something you have no use for?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #29
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
I had a 74 GremlinX with the 258. It was pretty spunky once I set it up as a pre-smog engine. Those cars were all motor and gas tank, especially if you had the 304.
I was surprised to see how any AMC is valued as a classic car these days. I also had 3 of their 60s products back in the day.
LOL. Mine was the X with the 304. Dropped in a Hurst Shifter. Pumpkin Orange with white stripes.
I hated the vacuum wipers!
And yep to stay on topic I had a CB in it.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 04:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeshearer View Post

I have mine in the rv but not hooked up. If I need it, it’s just a couple minute stop to put the magnetic antenna out and plug in the CB. The few times I’ve had it on traveling I hear a couple of truckers going the other way talking to each other. Definitely no passenger vehicles using them.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #31

Quote:

Actually been thinking about switching to GMRS.
Hey, that was MY handle in the 70s, and for the same reason. I quickly redeemed myself ride wise, as I sold it and replaced it with a 71 Challenger. I wish I still had both these cars.
And yes, the vacuum operated wipers were atrocious.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 PM   #32

If you are looking to contact someone in an emergency, I suggest you obtain a HAM Radio and License. The ability to call for help while not having cell service is invaluable. Even in the outback there are usually Repeater towers that are monitored. If your looking for communicating Car to Car during a vacation or road trip, a radio is still much more convenient. If your interested, look into the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS). No test. It is currently $35 from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is good for ten years, and it covers your entire family to transmit on GMRS frequencies using your issued call sign.

If you want greater range or capability, you can test for use of the HAM High Fequency (HF), Very High Frequency (VHF) and Ultra High Frequency (UHF) bands. I don't like being unprepared, and while cell phone coverage has grown tremendously, it's still not available everywhere I like to camp.
SkookumTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 PM   #33

Quote:
LOL. Mine was the X with the 304. Dropped in a Hurst Shifter. Pumpkin Orange with white stripes.
I hated the vacuum wipers!
And yep to stay on topic I had a CB in it.
Mine had electric wipers. They didn't seem to follow any set standard. I had a 66 Ambassador with engine vacuum wipers that slowed down or stopped under heavy throttle. Then I had a 67 Ambassador that had electric wipers. Then I had a 69 Ambassador that had vacuum wipers, but used a vacuum pump piggy backed onto the fuel pump, so they sped up and slowed with engine RPM.

I didn't have a CB in any of them
Old 08-11-2022, 07:56 PM   #34
RV Electricity Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1acguy View Post
Is it worthwhile to have a CB anymore?
Back in the 90s, the motorhome had a CB in it. The only time we turned it on was when we got stuck in an unexpected traffic jam. In those cases, we found it useful to listen to the truckers who communicated among themselves the reason for the jam.
Things that just happened don't show up on a traffic report right away.
Cellular connectivity is great as long as all the area cell towers are up. But during massive flooding like just happened in Kentucky, cellular phones and data were down for days. CB radios still offer great person to person connectivity with no cell towers needed.

Mike Sokol
RVelectricity
No~Shock~Zone
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:02 PM   #35

Don't bother!

If using for travel advisories and open communication to anybody listening they're pretty worthless. The most active channel is still the one used by truckers and any trucker without a power amplifier capable of squealing over the top of any other radio within 50 miles is no trucker at all.

I wonder if truckers get their CDL for the driving, or for access to the radio and the fraternity of truckers that consistently over modulate their radio communication with useless gibberish and code language known only to them?

If you're traveling in tandem or convoys with others equipped with radios and using one of myriad assortment of other channels and sidebands for closed conversations, then some productive communication can take place. But as soon as you tune in 19 and key that mic to get road hazard information on the wreck up ahead, you'll be instantly known as the novice outsider horning in on the "professionals" conversations and likely won't get the helpful reply - not so that it can be heard intelligibly at least.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Touring motorcycles mostly all have a CB radio. I traveled a lot on my Goldwings and other large touring bikes, almost always with one or two other riders. The CB was invaluable.

I also have one on my Goldwing. We also use it while on group rides. Leader, middle man and tail gunner. Good way t keep a eye on all the bikes.

I don't know if the State Police still monitor them now. Most interstates have a cell # posted now.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:27 PM   #37
Kanadian Kamper

I owned a 1978, 1981, 1984, 1989, and a 2004 Goldwing.
I ran up over a million miles on my bikes through my riding experience. I also had a number of sport touring motorcycles……750 and 1100 Sabres, ST1100 and two Kawasaki Concours as my boy toy second bikes at the same time as my Wings. They all had CBs. Only the ‘89 and ‘06 were factory Honda CBs.

Pretty much any motorcycle touring groups riding in formation use/have CBs.
Aside from a very few motorhome travellers travelling together in a group, a couple or 3 RVers would probably use FRS radios for any communication.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:52 PM   #38

I had it on constantly while travelling on the road. It was worth its weight in gold. But when I had the family with me I had to shut it down as the language was a bit rough++ for kids.

I'm not on the road anymore and the terrain works against CB freq.
JRHill02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:48 PM   #39

CB is worthless

The last time I tried to use a CB, the language was so vile, crude, and obnoxious, I had to turn it off. In my opinion , a CB is worthless.
cbcg710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:49 PM   #40

Newer CB's can operate in FM mode with less static.

At least two manufacturers have CB's that can operate in FM mode in addition to AM and SSB. Should make them much more noise immune and clearer. The 27 MHz band is sometimes noisy due to unwanted long distance skip signals but as many have stated in previous posts there are not many folks using the frequencies today. That being the case it should be a boon for those that want the advantage of operating on a lower frequency at a higher power level than GMRS with better range that is not line of sight like the UHF GMRS sets. FM mode should be an improvement to the old 40 channel CB's.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio