Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #1

CB radio, how much help when distance RVing?

I haven't been on CB for many years but I'm setting up for long distance RV trips when I retire next year. I see some truckers still using for road conditions. Is it worth putting one in the TV for longer interstate drives?
Old 08-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

I've had one in my current TV for three years. I've turned it on maybe three times (in traffic jams/backups). For the most part there is just trash talk and some of it gets pretty bad. When I get the new truck it will not have one.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #3

Here's a thread from last year. It is a good read and lots of info about CB radio.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ig-209231.html

Old 08-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Here's a thread from last year. It is a good read and lots of info about CB radio.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ig-209231.html
Thanks. Reading the thread reminded me that my aluminum body Ford won't be able to use a magnetic mount. I'll have to get creative. Not interested in drilling holes in a new truck.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
Thanks. Reading the thread reminded me that my aluminum body Ford won't be able to use a magnetic mount. I'll have to get creative. Not interested in drilling holes in a new truck.
Mine is aluminum also. I used a through glass antennae on the back window and ran the coax along the floor board on the driver side. The reception is no where as good as my old 102 in magnet mount, but it works OK after a good SWR tune.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
Mine is aluminum also. I used a through glass antennae on the back window and ran the coax along the floor board on the driver side. The reception is no where as good as my old 102 in magnet mount, but it works OK after a good SWR tune.
Through glass is lossy at HF frequencies. I don't plan a permanent install. I'll have to get creative. Probably one of the NGP Firesticks with a custom mount.

I just got a new F-250 XLT with 7.3 and 10 speed three weeks ago. Great truck.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #7

I have a CB in my work truck just for the purpose of needing to communicate in no cell service areas….. And it never gets turned on. I also travel in pretty remote areas for work, for road trips, and to go camping, and I’ve never thought about adding a CB to my personal (TV) truck.

Instead of spending the money on a CB system, I would suggest to spend it on a cell booster. I have the WeBoost Drive Reach in my work truck and in my personal, and the cell booster is by far more handy than a CB. With added cell service you can always use your phone maps for helpful road incidents, plus many states have road system apps that allow you to to see what the major roadways (highways and interstates) road conditions are like.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
I have a CB in my work truck just for the purpose of needing to communicate in no cell service areas….. And it never gets turned on. I also travel in pretty remote areas for work, for road trips, and to go camping, and I’ve never thought about adding a CB to my personal (TV) truck.

Instead of spending the money on a CB system, I would suggest to spend it on a cell booster. I have the WeBoost Drive Reach in my work truck and in my personal, and the cell booster is by far more handy than a CB. With added cell service you can always use your phone maps for helpful road incidents, plus many states have road system apps that allow you to to see what the major roadways (highways and interstates) road conditions are like.
Thanks. I'm more interested in any benefit in getting traffic type reports on major highways. They seem to have good cell coverage. It doesn't sound like I should go to any special effort to mount an antenna to check CB out.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #9

I used to have a CB radio that got a lot of use “in the day”…. I now utilize WAZE for road conditions that I may be heading into.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #10

CB vs Amateur Radio

My advice if you really want a radio is to forget about CB and get your Amateur Radio license. Many if not most truckers these days are going to Ham Rigs. You can utilize much more legal power and Hams are very careful about their on-air etiquette. They have put energy into getting their license and they don't want to jeopardize it. Many areas these days are covered by linked Ham radio repeaters such as the Peak Radio Association along the I5 corridor in Oregon.

My 2 cents,

Jeff W7JST Amateur Extra Class since 2014
Old 08-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_s View Post
My advice if you really want a radio is to forget about CB and get your Amateur Radio license. Many if not most truckers these days are going to Ham Rigs. You can utilize much more legal power and Hams are very careful about their on-air etiquette. They have put energy into getting their license and they don't want to jeopardize it. Many areas these days are covered by linked Ham radio repeaters such as the Peak Radio Association along the I5 corridor in Oregon.

My 2 cents,

Jeff W7JST Amateur Extra Class since 2014
Which band are they on? I assume 2 meters?
Any specific freq?
I've never heard a trucker on the band but I haven't searched for them.
I'm on most of the Philly area repeaters. I'm often scanning them. Never heard any there. There are commuters that often jump on as they go through town. But it's local discussion. Nothing related to traffic/road conditions unless there is a storm.
I live on a hill and I've got a reasonably good 2 M / 70 CM base station.
I'm a general class.

I will say that in my area the repeaters are the best place to get winter storm road conditions.

If there is a common freq I'll add that to my scan list. I can certainly pick up anything on I-95 or I-276 in PA.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
I got a 3 1/2 inch round rare earth magnet from Amazon to mount my Ham antenna on my roof. If you remove the rear light on your roof, there is a space there that you can mount the magnet with some double sided tape to the underside of your roof. Works perfect. Have had that way for over a year and has never come off, even at 80 mph. These types of magnets are strong as hell and work great for us aluminum body guys.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #13

Hi Joe,
Yes most truckers are probably on 2 Meters. They may be monitoring the 2M national calling frequency (146.52) or even the 70CM calling frequency (446.000). My friend says some truckers are installing HF radios in their rigs. Many truckers drive the same route all the time and have chosen local repeaters to jump on when they're in that area. I suppose some may have their own favorite simplex frequencies for truck-to-truck comms.

We have recently had some major wildfires in our area and truckers and hams in their vehicles have provided very valuable info on road conditions, closures, smoke levels and so on.

Nice to meet you,

Jeff w7jst
Old 08-18-2021, 01:43 PM   #14

Is anyone on the highways using FRS/GMRS?

Old 08-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #15
Site Team

If you are traveling with family you may want to shy away. the language is often not family friendly.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you are traveling with family you may want to shy away. the language is often not family friendly.
From CB or FRS/GMRS?

Old 08-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_s View Post
Hi Joe,
Yes most truckers are probably on 2 Meters. They may be monitoring the 2M national calling frequency (146.52) or even the 70CM calling frequency (446.000). My friend says some truckers are installing HF radios in their rigs. Many truckers drive the same route all the time and have chosen local repeaters to jump on when they're in that area. I suppose some may have their own favorite simplex frequencies for truck-to-truck comms.

We have recently had some major wildfires in our area and truckers and hams in their vehicles have provided very valuable info on road conditions, closures, smoke levels and so on.

Nice to meet you,

Jeff w7jst
I guess I'll have to take an HT along on a few road trips I've got planned next month (not RV related) and see how much traffic on VHF.

I had planned to take my ICOM 7100 along for use at campsites. I do a bit of POTA on HF and that rig can do HF and VHF/UHF. If there is worthwhile traffic on the road I'll figure out an antenna solution for the truck.

Thanks again for the idea.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to drrodder
I turn on the CB when on the motorcycle running the interstates. Not much worthy and for the traffic updates, generally by the time I hear chatter, I'm already stuck in them. Along with the truckers who are also stuck and asking just for a piece of mind (to late to exit and take an alternate route). My older TV still has a CB, but my newer one doesn't and thats the vehicle I use these days.
drrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #19

I would suggest getting a dual band 2m and 440 ham radio instead of cb. You can enter repeaters in as channels before you go and they will increase your range dramatically. The license test is easy.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:26 PM   #20

CB use

Over the last 6 months and 7500 miles, my CB has been on almost 100% of the time. In that time, the only time I've heard any conversation was during times of heavy traffic delays or back-ups. Is it worth having it? Hard to say, except when you've been sitting on a mtn grade for an extended time and all you want to know is when.. Would I replace it if it died? Being built in to the overhead, I would feel compelled to fill the hole with something. If I could find an exact plug and play at a very reasonable price, likely.
ronncda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio