Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco_Joe View Post
I haven't been on CB for many years but I'm setting up for long distance RV trips when I retire next year. I see some truckers still using for road conditions. Is it worth putting one in the TV for longer interstate drives?
I have one in my truck. There's a lot less traffic on it since back in day. But
i still run one.
RobinDella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #42

CB Radio

Go get your amateur radio license and put a 2m radio in your truck. Not that difficult to get the license and a lot better conversation.

Jerry
jerryab9rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #43

Quote:
I haven't been on CB for many years but I'm setting up for long distance RV trips when I retire next year. I see some truckers still using for road conditions. Is it worth putting one in the TV for longer interstate drives?
All truckers are not bad so don’t let people tell you that! I use as another safety tool in the tool box. When between cell phone towers and coverage is bad. Or when storms hit the CB can be a great tool. I don’t leave it on but when needed it’s a great tool.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #44
Take The Road Less Travld

CB Radios are fun. I have one in my truck every time we are pulling the trailer. They are great for emergencies, traffic info and just listening to what's going on around you.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #45

If the two way radio is for emergency use in areas where you have little to no cell service, two way radios can carry onto towers with distances of 40-50 miles. Ham radio users typically know and understand the need for repeaters on mountain tops to carry the signal. Cellphone tower need to be 5-6 miles between each one for a decent signal. That is why there are so many on the landscape. There are plenty of areas with dead spots for cell phones, that two way radios can pick up a signal.
JSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolomon View Post
If the two way radio is for emergency use in areas where you have little to no cell service, two way radios can carry onto towers with distances of 40-50 miles. Ham radio users typically know and understand the need for repeaters on mountain tops to carry the signal. Cellphone tower need to be 5-6 miles between each one for a decent signal. That is why there are so many on the landscape. There are plenty of areas with dead spots for cell phones, that two way radios can pick up a signal.
I have up on CB's years ago. For Emergencies with no cell reception I use an InReach Mini.

If minor I can send message to Son and Daughter then they can relay for me. If Major I can merely press SOS button.

Works anywhere I can see the sky and there's nobody just "yakking".

For entertainment I listen to satellite radio on the road and most traffic issues occur where there is cell service where Waze works great.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #47

I have been a Ham for over 45 years with various rigs in the car. I have had .52 in scan channels. I only heard 2 or 3 truckers and they were not on simplex or talking about traffic. I have also talked with truckers on HF. They were 200 miles away, so traffic was not a discussion.
I have also monitored CB19 but not while family is in the car, it is worse than FB.
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
"0" cellular phones killed the c b market. listening in is a privacy concern.

I'm less worried about the NSA listening to CB, FRS, GMRS, MURS or Ham radio than I am with them monitoring all of my other comms.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #49

[QUOTE=BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP;2622785]i personly like the idear of the radio i had one when i was in my 20th loved it then ...some day id like to get a fingham Radio i beleave there out of illinois's ? ..
i dont care about the trash .. i sling my own crap back at them ....
there handy an brakes up the monotony .

If you're gonna get into Ham radio, be sure to leave the CB "customs" back on the 11 meter band.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #50

Channel 9 is for emergencies on the CB. Most highway patrols monitor it.

Sometimes you can hear some great conversations between truckers. But lately there’s much less traffic on it than 10-15 years ago.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:25 PM   #51
Sherlock

I put a portable on my new C and it works for short distances (up to a mile or so) which is what I was looking for. Traffic issues etc. Did not want to try and put antenna on outside, no place really worked.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #52

Quote:
My opinion it’s nice to have but a cell phone is probably just as useful for road conditions. I like to have one when I travel but don’t find it particularly useful, although it is nice when someone warns of an accident ahead and which lanes to avoid, etc.
I think it helps to know which channels are “reserved” for certain purposes, like for example 19 for east west trucking, 17 for north south trucking, 13 for RVers, 38 for SSB, etc…
There are a few trash talkers out there but they don’t represent the majority. Generally I think the professional drivers like to keep the reserved channels open.
I wish everyone on the road had one. I remember back when CB radio was kind of like the social media of the day lol.
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:57 AM   #53

I took a CB along to the Hershey show. 100 miles on PA TP each way.
Not a peep on the CB out and back.
There were police speed traps but nothing heard.
I guess I'll take the hand held CB along on trips but not worth the bother to find an antenna mount on a Ford aluminum cab.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #54

I have unlimited data on my phone plan… so I use the WAZE app.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #55

Quote:
I took a CB along to the Hershey show. 100 miles on PA TP each way.
Not a peep on the CB out and back.
There were police speed traps but nothing heard.
I guess I'll take the hand held CB along on trips but not worth the bother to find an antenna mount on a Ford aluminum cab.
You should really try the rare earth magnet I posted about earlier. No drilling and will hold the magnetic antenna quite well.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #56

I use Waze for traffic and police reports. As long as you’re on a well traveled road there are plenty of Wazers to post info. But get out on smaller less traveled roads or out west and the reports become much less to none.

The CB radio has become a dinosaur, but I still carry one. It may not be on but it’s there just in case there’s no cell service. Highway patrol monitors channel 9 for emergencies.

It’s good to have as many options for comunications as possible because you never know when stuff hits the fan.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbo69 View Post
You should really try the rare earth magnet I posted about earlier. No drilling and will hold the magnetic antenna quite well.
I may. But my to do list is too long right now.
And when the new TT gets here in a week or so it will grow longer.

Tags
radio