Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 PM   #1

Cedar Creek or Palomino Front Living

Is any one living full time in one of these? We are looking a one of these as our new home and being new to this we are trying to connect to people that are doing it. So if anyone has some advise or suggestions we are all ears.
dreamsopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #2

Also

If I did not post in the right place I am sorry trying to figure this out.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Posting in the General Discussion area is fine as you're discussing two, different brands. For clarification, it's Palomino Columbus with the front living floorplan.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #4

Thank you

Yes Palomino Columbus
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM   #5

I was waiting to see if anyone with one of these units would comment. Since that hasn’t happened I’m going to comment. In my opinion, of the two units you mentioned the Cedar Creek is the better built. When I looked at the Columbus line I wasn’t impressed with the build quality of that brand. I’m also guessing better materials are used in the Cedar Creek since they are almost 2000 pounds heavier than the Columbus. Regardless I’m sure you will be happy with either unit.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #6

The Cedar Creek has higher insulation values, and it is insulated with fiberglass and reflective foil. The Columbus has slightly lower insulation values and is insulated with foam and reflective foil, though the roof did not have reflective foil the last time I checked the brochure.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Thank you so much, I really like the floor plan on the cedar creek but have not found many people living in them. People were talking about camping trips but no one was talking about living in them. So I wasn't sure if these two were brands with quality that people seen more of a summer vacation deal. Thanks for all the input.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsopen View Post
Thank you so much, I really like the floor plan on the cedar creek but have not found many people living in them. People were talking about camping trips but no one was talking about living in them. So I wasn't sure if these two were brands with quality that people seen more of a summer vacation deal. Thanks for all the input.
Another place to check for feedback such as you are looking for would be forums for full-time RVers. Here is one that I know, though there are more: RV-Dreams Community Forum
Also, there is a Columbus Facebook page full of owners, and I bet if you found it and posted your question there, you would get lots of feedback as well.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #9

My choice would be the Cedar Creek, but some folks have complained they did not like the fact about the steps in any front living room just that you go in a LR more then you would the BR on a daily bases, but I would say probably as much if not the same as you have to climb the steps to get to most bathrooms . Most people who are living all the time are of a older age and worry about the steps more as they get older and might have a harder time. You would never think 4 steps would be a concern.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miboje View Post
Another place to check for feedback such as you are looking for would be forums for full-time RVers. Here is one that I know, though there are more: RV-Dreams Community Forum
Also, there is a Columbus Facebook page full of owners, and I bet if you found it and posted your question there, you would get lots of feedback as well.
As I shop around online and learn online before I actually purchase big ticket items, I have found LOTS of RV info on Facebook. Full timing, Rving on a budget, RV dreams, Columbus, Sabre, Palomino, Forest River, yada yada. They are all on Facebook. Just type in a word or words like you do a google search and
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
Site Team

the DW loves front living room floorplans.

but one issue for us is common on most FL floorplans. that is seating being at 90 degrees to the big tv.

that's one big reason we would choose the Columbus over the Cedar Creek.
the Columbus's theater seating directly across from the big tv is perfect for us. and the recliners are the BOMB! extremely comfortable.

and there's no reason we would need the two sofas in the CC. and what good is one recliner when it requires the other person to either lay on the couch or turn their head 90 degrees to watch tv if the person in the recliner is also watching.

only a couple of FL floorplans have the seating directly across from the tv.
other than lack of counterspace/pantry space in the Columbus 370FL, it's the perfect 5th wheel for the DW. we've thought about adding a small rolling island to help with counterspace.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #12

We also considered the front living room plan before we purchased our unit. I am glad we went with a more traditional layout of front room in the rear bedroom up. I think going up and down the stairs to the living area would have driven me nuts by now but we are fulltimers. The other thing we found is that the units with a front living area had little to no counter space and storage in the kitchen area seemed to be that much less also.

Hope that helps.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #13

We live full time in our 36CKTS. Because we are full time, we got every option available except the washer/dryer, generator, and the custom paint. We carry NO glass anything, to keep the weight down. Oh, except the liquor/beer bottles of course! We opted for this model because of the floor plan. Got questions? Let me know!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #14

You may want to look at the owners manuals for eack model as well. The Columbus does state they are NOT for full timing. It may be a catch phrase so the mfg can get out of upholding their end of the warranty. Cedar Creek may have the same stipulation. If you are not moving the rig around very much (then why have it?) it probably won't make much difference and not much can go wrong. If it is going down the road 2-4 days a week then most likely you will have some things come loose, move around, pop away from the frame, etc. All in all, only about <10% of people with large 5ths go very far or use them as MOBILE RVs. The first 1-2 yrs, yes then it sort of wears off. Just make you do due diligence in your research and above all - Have Fun!
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

So far as "four" seasons goes, it's all relative. Yes, we're in it in the Winter. BUT! Not in the frozen tundra - we're in Tucson. The lowest we've had was the upper 20's. We'll be here till tax day, then head for TX, then SO Cal. The heat pump does fine to about 45 degs., then we use the LP overnight. The floor stays warm - we have the carpet upgrade. But, the rig is sealed underneath. It's comfy at all times. I wish FR had put a diffuser on the skylight though. It gets warm in the summer in that BR.
Duramax/Allison
Old 01-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #16

Have a CC38FL and loving it. BUT we are not full timing. Spent 50+ nights last summer in the rig with no major problems.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #17

OP, have you seen the new Columbus 375? It is not front living but the bathroom slide with Double vanities makes a nice bathroom for fulltimers. The moveable kit island (like the 320) is also very nice on this model.
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #18

Insulation

IMHO, the CC is far better insulated - and constructed for full timing.
Duramax/Allison
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL Creeker View Post
...I wish FR had put a diffuser on the skylight though. It gets warm in the summer in that BR.

You can make one real easy to cut down the heat and protect the skylight. You can cut the alum material with scissors and attach it to the roof with Eternabond and no roof penetration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00056.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	45749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylight Cover In Flat.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	45750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skylight Cover with cleanout panel.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	45751  
Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Minnesotan

Cedar Creek

My Dad and Step Mom bought a 2004 Cedar Creek 362BBS new. The first few years it was towed on several long trips out east to VA and back and forth to Leech Lake. When it was parked in the yard they preferred living in it over the house. Once my youngest sibling graduated from high school seven years ago, they started taking it to AZ. It's held up to a lot of family (8 kids, 18 grand kids) and many miles. My Dad is now considering getting a 2nd 5th wheel. Thus he can have one parked in AZ and one at Leech Lake. He's looking at another Cedar Creek.
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, palomino