Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #21

I have a Gentron Pro2 3500 watt RV generator, with a dedicated 30 amp RV plug in, and a 115v 15 amp plug in, as well. it is stated as a 67 db sound level, and has electric or rope start. As much as I will be using a generator, this works perfectly fine for me-I can't afford a Honda or Yamaha, for twice the price per watt. Not gonna happen! I don't even use it until my battery power becomes depleted when dry camping. Never heard any gripes about noise. You could put the genny in the bed of your truck, and with a cover on the truck, face it towards the woods. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Huh ?? The info I came up with:

The Honda 3000: 58 dB at full load, 49 dB at 1/4 load.

The Champion 3500: 68 dB (???) at 1/4 load (???).

That is a huge difference. I can't find decibel stats on the Champion website......I wonder why ?? Honda and Yamaha both have their levels listed.

A fellow came up to me as I was starting my Yama over the weekend, and asked me all sorts of questions. Seems like is in the market for a generator, and was impressed with seeing me start mine (1 pull), and also the low noise level. He did not want want the noisy generators that many campers use.
I called today and talked to the reps at champion.... and the model i am refering to is 68db at full load
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Nope. But two of them will, if linked together.
and a cost of about 4 times as much !!!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
Site Team

want to make sure you understand how decibel ratings are done. they are logarithmic and double every 3dbs, i think.
so, a difference of 10db, is a lot louder. and an inverter generator will be even quieter if it's just being used for recharging or lighter loads, whereas the Champion will be at the same loudness, no matter the load.

i highly recommend you actually listen to a Champion 3500 and a Honda or Yamaha.
quiet isn't cheap but IMHO, is worth it.

if i boondocked or used it at races, i'd have no problem with the Champion.
but i believe we all should respect other campers who'll have to listen to it. i don't want to be one of those that the others complain to the park staff about.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #25

I have the champion 4000 and outside it sounds like my lawnmower. Inside it sounds like the water pump for the tt. I think its worth the $300 and it runs my air so good for boon-dock n it.
Power moon roof and back window
TV GVW without me 1/4 tank 5870 lbs
Days camping 20011-4 2012-26 2013-29
softwarejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
want to make sure you understand how decibel ratings are done. they are logarithmic and double every 3dbs, i think.
so, a difference of 10db, is a lot louder. and an inverter generator will be even quieter if it's just being used for recharging or lighter loads, whereas the Champion will be at the same loudness, no matter the load.

i highly recommend you actually listen to a Champion 3500 and a Honda or Yamaha.
quiet isn't cheap but IMHO, is worth it.

if i boondocked or used it at races, i'd have no problem with the Champion.
but i believe we all should respect other campers who'll have to listen to it. i don't want to be one of those that the others complain to the park staff about.
I HAVE listened to the honda 3000...nice unit... quite...hopefully reliable...And i will try and listen to the champion model that i am interested in, before buying.The only "boondocking " i can forsee us doing, is at a walmart parking lot.. If we cant make it to a campground that has electric . The only time i would cosider using a generator at a rv park is if the park lost power due to a storm..So do i need something that quiet ??? If some one wants to GIVE me the extra $1500 to purchase quite i will gladly accept it !!!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #27
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Assuming they use an audio scale like dbA, then 6dbA is double. i.e. two generators at 60dbA will generate the same noise as 1 generator at 66dbA. But 6dbA does not "feel" twice as loud.

Edit: I found this.. which I "think" has the story straight

The constant unsureness in the answer to the question:
"How many dB is doubling a sound"?

Answer: Doubling means the "factor 2". What does doubling of a "sound" mean?
Twice the (sound) intensity is obtained by an increase of the (sound intensity) level of 3 dB.
Twice the sound pressure is obtained by an increase of the (sound pressure) level of 6 dB.
Twice the loudness feeling is obtained by an increase of the (loudness) level of about 10 dB.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #28

I will NOT be purchasing 2 generators ..unless someone wants to give me like $4000 !!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
Wanna Be Camper

I totally understand your sentiment about spending the $$$ that a Honda or Yamaha cost and if all you ever do is wally world boondocking well for me even that would drive me nuts. What jars my jitlins though is the fact I took others and us into account and spent the $$ on an Eu3000is Honda so we could enjoy our boondocking and then people come along and fire up their $300 Champion genny and we have to listen to it all day and evening while our Honda sits in the bed of our truck and you can only hear it when you are beside the truck. We actually had a woman comment when she heard it at a provincial campground last year.. Wow that thing would put you to sleep. Not to mention it will run up to 20 hrs on a tank of fuel.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Another thing to consider here, is how are the non-inventor generators going to affect the electronics in the camper. It is not going to take too many wasted TVs or appliance circuit board replacements to make up the difference in prices.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Another thing to consider here, is how are the non-converter generators going to affect the electronics in the camper. It is not going to take too many wasted TVs or appliance circuit board replacements to make up the difference in prices.
The model made by Champion is one that has voltage protection built in to it . It is a "new" model made for rving...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #32

saw this at Sams yesterday.

in measuring sound, i wonder if they are using the same distance and surroundings (ie same standards). in electronics when ur talking abt power, 3db is a double power gain and is the min change we can hear.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #33

dretired - I didnt opt for the power start or wheel kit, but it does have the 30-amp RV plug built in. The Honda is quieter for sure, but it depends on when/where you plan on using it. At the track, amongst the other noise makers, the champion seems very quiet. At home when I run it it is quiet. We have not been to other campgrounds that dont have electric, and we dont plan on it. If we do, maybe then I would spend the extra money on the honda. The champion also puts out more watts than the Honda, and will run a 15k ac no issues.
kaferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
saw this at Sams yesterday.

in measuring sound, i wonder if they are using the same distance and surroundings (ie same standards). in electronics when ur talking abt power, 3db is a double power gain and is the min change we can hear.
so...can i run a/c with one of these ..or would i have to have 2 ??
Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
so...can i run a/c with one of these ..or would i have to have 2 ??
you'll need two to run the a/c.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #36

Are you sure? Or does it maybe depend on the A/C unit?

Looking at the specs, it shows a running capacity of 1600 watts. I know my A/C draws 1400 watts; so I was thinking I could run the A/C as long as there was nothing else running.

Or is the running capacity on this inflated a bit?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you'll need two to run the a/c.
x2
it may run it but i doubt that it would consistently start it. on the inverter versions, i don't know how much surge capacity they have. u do have the option of chaining 2 together. by then, ur around $1000.

just happened to see it and was surprised how enclosed and compact it was. things have really changed in the past 30 yrs.

as far as noise, i would like to see a direct comparison. sense i have reduced hearing, i would like to see that on a meter. may not be able to compare from memory or different locations within a campground. like to see them side by side and heard from the same location.

for me, a gen doesn't make sense...not enough use. cost of operation also blows me away. i can see it for someone that dry camps though.

this is way off topic but...after hurricane rita, there was a report of someone that woke up to no electricity. he heard the gen running and went out to check it. someone had swamped out his gen for a lawnmower.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #38

generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
x2
it may run it but i doubt that it would consistently start it. on the inverter versions, i don't know how much surge capacity they have. u do have the option of chaining 2 together. by then, ur around $1000.

just happened to see it and was surprised how enclosed and compact it was. things have really changed in the past 30 yrs.

as far as noise, i would like to see a direct comparison. sense i have reduced hearing, i would like to see that on a meter. may not be able to compare from memory or different locations within a campground. like to see them side by side and heard from the same location.

for me, a gen doesn't make sense...not enough use. cost of operation also blows me away. i can see it for someone that dry camps though.

this is way off topic but...after hurricane rita, there was a report of someone that woke up to no electricity. he heard the gen running and went out to check it. someone had swamped out his gen for a lawnmower.
That ... takes some nerve... around some places they could have been SHOT !!
Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #39

A generator at this point is more of a want than need. Having said that ..Now or sometime in the near future ..l might need one .. not have one ..then get one..And wouldnt you know it...Probably NEVER use it at all ... after that!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
A generator at this point is more of a want than need. Having said that ..Now or sometime in the near future ..l might need one .. not have one ..then get one..And wouldnt you know it...Probably NEVER use it at all ... after that!!!
yep...but doesn't a trailer fit the same mold? more than likely i would buy it for a future need and can't find it when needed.

i do have 3 gen, sort of speak, one is a montgomery ward 3k from back in the 70's. one is a welding machine w/ outlets. the other is one bought after rita. think it is 5k w/7k surge. of the three, the later is by far the best on the gas. came in handy after the hurricane. employer supplied gas otherwise that would have been a time consuming commodity.

i put the montgomery ward on an oscilloscope and was surprised to see how noisy the output was. the documation had a procedure for reflashing the armature (it may have been the fields...been too long) in case it set more than a year without use and didn't have enough stray magnetism to get it generating.

i'm wondering if the inverter models are pure sine output or what. has anyone put a scope on it?

Tags