Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Chevy truck?, Not now

Why I didn’t buy a Chevy truck as my current car lease comes to an end. I visited my local Chevy dealer last month to see in person what they had.

I was on the fence about getting another car or trying life without a car. I use my 24 foot Dynamax REV all year so in most cases that would be my daily ride. And my wife has a car. However there are a handful of places that I can’t take the RV and park nearby.

I tried all their cars to see how easy it was for me to get in and out of. Big gut hampers mobility. Decided the Silversdo was best fit. Biggest problem that day was I had to literally force the salesman to help me.

I went back the next day with my wife for her approval of the passenger seat and the ride. I once had a VW Jetta that she loved. Decided I wanted a better radio so went to dealer for a quote. Dealer offered my a newer Jetta with the radio I wanted and at a lower payment. So basically got my radio and it came with a new car and no cash out of my pocket. My wife hated the seat and refused to take trips in it. Lesson learned, she must sit in anything I am considering.

As we are walking into the showroom that salesman is walking out. Doesn’t say hello or acknowledge us. In the showroom I approach another salesman for assistance. He is responsive. We take a Silverado for a drive and we like it.

We are told that March is “Truck Month” and there will be major incentives. We decide to wait a couple of weeks. Salesman says he will contact me in March with the incentives. Today is March 13. I know he is alive because I called him and the dealership twice and emailed twice and they confirmed his continued existance. Nothing!

Meanwhile I check out Fords and Toyotas. I liked every one. The Toyotas had a much higher monthly payment and too many intrusive alarms and warnings and things in area of steering wheel that will get touched accidentally and cause me grief. Way too many driving distractions for me.

Went back to Ford last night. My wife approved of the seat and ride. I pick up my 2018 F150 XLT tomorrow. This will be 6th vehicle purchased from this Ford dealership.

I was a sales manager and sales director for most of my working life. The Toyota and Ford guys were good and not pushy. The Chevy guys at this dealership were awful. This dealership has had poor sales for many years, not sure how they stay in business. I did manage to buy two cars from them in the past but they are losers.

It irritates me when a salesperson has a sale drop out of the sky into their lap and blows the opportunity. These guys fail as order writers. They wouldn’t survive at Chick-Fil-A up the street.

End of rant, almost.

My next door neighbor works a a different Toyota dealership much further away. He didn’t give me a price after I showed him the Toyota I liked best. But he will notice the Ford in my driveway, again.

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your Chevy adventure , I got my truck in that area and they were great to deal with. [Dealer name started with P]
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #3

Congrats on the new truck. As a Ford guy myself, I'm happy to hear you stayed in the fold. Good luck!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinhomeauto View Post
Sorry to hear about your Chevy adventure , I got my truck in that area and they were great to deal with. [Dealer name started with P]
This dealer’s name starts with a T as in Thomas.

Finally heard from salesman tonight. Had an email discussion, left an opening for him but then once again nothing .

Old 03-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Congrats on the new truck. As a Ford guy myself, I'm happy to hear you stayed in the fold. Good luck!
Thanks.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #6

When we go someplace (without the trailer), my wife always wants to take the truck, Why? because its so comfortable. Even if we have another couple and she sits in the rear seat, she still wants to go in the truck. What kind of truck? A FORD, F-150 XLT 4 DOOR. We've ridden in Chevys, Toyotas and Dodges and none has the ride of the Ford!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
When we go someplace (without the trailer), my wife always wants to take the truck, Why? because its so comfortable. Even if we have another couple and she sits in the rear seat, she still wants to go in the truck. What kind of truck? A FORD, F-150 XLT 4 DOOR. We've ridden in Chevys, Toyotas and Dodges and none has the ride of the Ford!
Which is one reason I drive a Chevy. Fords ride like a sedan. Some love that. I don't. But I'd own a Ford, not a total chauvinist. I just can't afford Fords or Toyotas is all.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

Truck bed cover?

Chevy guy still slow. Supposed to get me price this morning.

Currently about to sign Ford papers. I gave him plenty of opportunity.

So which kind of bed cover should I get? Cost is a factor.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

I got rid of a BakFlip F2 to get a Retrax. But.........it is not cheap. Solved all my problems though.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Insert witty title here

I'm a diehard Toyota fan but they just don't make a truck big enough for my needs so there is now a Chevy in my driveway.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Chevy guy still slow. Supposed to get me price this morning.

Currently about to sign Ford papers. I gave him plenty of opportunity.

So which kind of bed cover should I get? Cost is a factor.
I got the Tonno Pro, with the metal inside for a little more security and to handle the snow loads we get in our area. The tri fold design does limit bed space a wee bit, but the whole cover is easily removed and stored in the back seat if required (two times in 3 yrs for us). Our tailgate locks, so the security for what can fit under the closed cover is good. Price was the best on line (Amazon.ca) at the time.

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Why I didn’t buy a Chevy truck as my current car lease comes to an end. I visited my local Chevy dealer last month to see in person what they had.

I was on the fence about getting another car or trying life without a car. I use my 24 foot Dynamax REV all year so in most cases that would be my daily ride. And my wife has a car. However there are a handful of places that I can’t take the RV and park nearby.

I tried all their cars to see how easy it was for me to get in and out of. Big gut hampers mobility. Decided the Silversdo was best fit. Biggest problem that day was I had to literally force the salesman to help me.

I went back the next day with my wife for her approval of the passenger seat and the ride. I once had a VW Jetta that she loved. Decided I wanted a better radio so went to dealer for a quote. Dealer offered my a newer Jetta with the radio I wanted and at a lower payment. So basically got my radio and it came with a new car and no cash out of my pocket. My wife hated the seat and refused to take trips in it. Lesson learned, she must sit in anything I am considering.

As we are walking into the showroom that salesman is walking out. Doesn’t say hello or acknowledge us. In the showroom I approach another salesman for assistance. He is responsive. We take a Silverado for a drive and we like it.

We are told that March is “Truck Month” and there will be major incentives. We decide to wait a couple of weeks. Salesman says he will contact me in March with the incentives. Today is March 13. I know he is alive because I called him and the dealership twice and emailed twice and they confirmed his continued existance. Nothing!

Meanwhile I check out Fords and Toyotas. I liked every one. The Toyotas had a much higher monthly payment and too many intrusive alarms and warnings and things in area of steering wheel that will get touched accidentally and cause me grief. Way too many driving distractions for me.

Went back to Ford last night. My wife approved of the seat and ride. I pick up my 2018 F150 XLT tomorrow. This will be 6th vehicle purchased from this Ford dealership.

I was a sales manager and sales director for most of my working life. The Toyota and Ford guys were good and not pushy. The Chevy guys at this dealership were awful. This dealership has had poor sales for many years, not sure how they stay in business. I did manage to buy two cars from them in the past but they are losers.

It irritates me when a salesperson has a sale drop out of the sky into their lap and blows the opportunity. These guys fail as order writers. They wouldn’t survive at Chick-Fil-A up the street.

End of rant, almost.

My next door neighbor works a a different Toyota dealership much further away. He didn’t give me a price after I showed him the Toyota I liked best. But he will notice the Ford in my driveway, again.

Bobby
Congratulations on Your new Ford XLT
I have just bought a 2018 Ford XLT with the 10 speed V8. Love it. In sport mode goes like a rocket.
While I have a 3010 Sunseeker I bought the new 4x4 truck to haul a new 27 ft Aluminum Pilot House boat.
This is my third Ford truck, and boy have pickup trucks come a long way.
brydle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #13

I wonder if the Chevy guy will give me a price this month.

But enjoying my new Ford.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
X2, love my Ford trucks
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #15

Congratulations on your new truck. The lack of response by the salesman is an example of a poor manager. The manager sets and enforces the expectations for the dealership. The salesman at my Chevy dealer always greets me even when I am only there for service on my truck. Over the years I have purchased 4 vehicles from one salesman (2 of which were trucks). He retired this month so it looks like I will have to train a new salesman.

I use a tri-fold cover on my truck. It keeps the bed dry and only takes a minute to fold back or 5 minutes to removed. It also hides things in the bed from curious eyes.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #16
Site Team

Congrats on your new Ford!
I got my Ecoboost last August and I love it.
I also got the Tonnopro with the vinyl over metal panels.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #17

Like said Retrax for cover ,yes costly but worth it.
merlinhomeauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #18

I have the extang trifecta, around $400. Has held up very well.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
I use a tri-fold cover on my truck. It keeps the bed dry and only takes a minute to fold back or 5 minutes to removed. It also hides things in the bed from curious eyes.
X2 on the trifold. Among the least expensive, super user friendly, and install literally in 5 minutes. Both of mine have been Lund Genesis tri-folds. Great cover for the money. First one was the basic cover. When I got the new truck I went with the deluxe Lund Tri-fold. It has an aluminum plate under the vinyl cover, so its more secure. Not sure I didn't like the basic cover better, but both are great. Easy to open, and if you need the whole bed, you just pull 2 handles and its off.

Waaay better than the old days of the snap on covers. From November to April I would find any excuse possible not to ever open those covers...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #20
Site Team

I have the Extang Trifecta Signature Series trifold on my 2017 F-150 SuperCrew XLT 5.0. The extra $50 for the canvas cover was well worth it to me as it looks great.

Tags
truck