Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #41

There is a video from one of the full timers that has a weekly show on Utub. They were at a site near where they make the RV's in Indiana 2019, and was leveling the trailer, off the truck. They had chocks on both sides, and the site was so far off that once the levelers raised the one side 6", the whole RV twisted and started to roll on the camp side. This happened even WITH full chocks in use. They didn't realize how far off the site was on the one side. The chock though did prevent the trailer from going all the way as it wedged the tire. It goes to show that no matter how much one thinks it can't happen, well, it can, just takes one time, to believe otherwise is either pure ignorance, or lack of a conscience. They got lucky in that they were in the process of leveling and stopped it right away, imagine if they were all done leveling and were inside or away when it rolled, it would not have been pretty.

Being a retired Semi driver, it is engrained in me, CHOCK those wheels! I do have to admit, one of the early posters pointed out one thing I didn't consider when moving up from my 7600 GVWR travel trailer to our 14K 5th wheel. I didn't upgrade the chocks. Thanks for pointing that out as I didn't consider they have weight ratings, and sure enough, they do, looked it up, 10K limit for the ones I have. I now have them on my to-do list when I ever get my trailer back from the shop.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #42

Lesson learned

I had only one side chocked at a campground in Wheatland Wyoming before there were some (usual) high wind warnings,,..The next morning, I woke up to find out that I was not lined up in my slot anymore and was parked catty-corner-wampus!.. Good thing that the barbed wire fences up there slow the winds down or I would have been 90 degrees sideways!
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I'm sorry I don't drag out the chocks when I camp in FL... there are no unlevel spots in FL... trailer ain't going anywhere over an inch or two...
Not sure I agree with no unlevel spots in Florida. I was in Anastasia State Park
last March just before COVID hit. The spot was so low in the back I couldn't get my tongue jack low enough to get level front to rear.
MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #44
Heatpad/Recliner Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Wow, guess I was lucky. 'Course I don't claim to be an expert like OP, but I used Xchocks on two different dual axle travel trailers across the West without a problem. I did learn to tighten them some more after the tires cooled a bit and I always secured both sides. Had to use blocks from time to time to level side to side; preferred them to the wedge I couldn't keep on the blocks. Never ran over kids, trailers, or rigs; what a charmed life.
I have done similar with the XChocks on BOTH axles(see registry pic)without any issues so far. If I need to I also have 4 yellow chocks I can jam in as well. I try to find pull thru spots when possible because i have to unhook the Husky stabilizers before I attempt any backing up. I would rather not tweek the stabilizers any more than necessary. Off of this subject, which vehicle are you towing your R-Pod with?

Christopher J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post
Ok I gonna open my dirty laundry. From 2004-2012, we had a Rockwood Roo 19. Nice trailer.

We stayed at the KOA near Townsend, Tn. We got there after dark and I had a hell of a time getting the trailer onto the lot. There was just a super steep slope. Anyway, for some reason, brain fart?, we only put one chock on the camper on the left side.

When I unhooked it, mind you I had 3 college men and there college women and me and my wife with me .

When I unhooked, the camper immediately twisted. I grabbed the trailer jack and held on and screamed at my wife to ge the chock under the right side wheel which she did promptly.

If it would been a heavier trailer of would have went through the camp ground maybe killing many. Campground was full.

Scarred the crap out of me and it’s something I watch for anywhere I go now.

Fyi
-------------
The last thing I disconnect is the safety chain, after chocking, unhitching, etc.
I had my utility trailer try to take off once when I unhooked... chains saved me.
I try to learn from others' mistakes...as in this case.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:22 AM   #46

Quote:
unless your boondocking on a mountainside, I have rarely seen an improved camping site that would have my trailer roll away on a slope... now if your in an unimproved site, more often than not you will look for somewhat level ground would you not?

Sure a trailer might lean and shift 6 inches or so without a chock, but really have it roll into another site?
My 5th wheel trailer would have to be pulled by something pretty substantial to roll into a neighboring lot or down a hill. however when we purchased our first trailer the hauler set it up on a 3 x 3 block for the A frame jack leg which was just the post for some reason. it sunk into the water soaked ground because a hurricane blasted through that valley for 2 days and a months worth of rain. when I attempted to level it, the trailer rolled off the 3x3 inch block and sunk which caused the trainer to shift and roll about a foot (because there were no wheel chocks) twisted 2 scissor jacks in opposite corners. 1st day as a trailer owner didn't go well.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #47

Quote:
unless your boondocking on a mountainside, I have rarely seen an improved camping site that would have my trailer roll away on a slope... now if your in an unimproved site, more often than not you will look for somewhat level ground would you not?

Sure a trailer might lean and shift 6 inches or so without a chock, but really have it roll into another site?
I completely disagree. I witnessed a trailer being set up. 3 kids were helping dad. One child was setting the chocks while dad unlocked the ball hitch. As he did this, one child jumped from the truck to the trailer, by accident, and unhooked the trailer. The child setting chocks just missed getting hurt as the trailer rolled back. The only thing that saved it from rolling down the hill behind him were the chains. This was a well improved park in flat Oklahoma.
S.kimbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy1 View Post
thanks for the tip, I bought the X chocks but quit using my chocks...now I will use both. Maybe they should call them stabilizers rather than chocks
X-stabilizers is way to cumbersome to say!
Old 01-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydog View Post
Similar thing with us. Parked our trailer in a park near San Antonio, cranked our X chocks tight, and went out for a bite at Mama's Restaurant. When we returned the trailer had rolled forward and bent our front stabilizers. We went to Harbor freight ( because it was Sunday and none of the RV supply houses were open)and bought some stabilizers (heavier than original by the way) and we were good to go. We never figured out why the trailer rolled with the x chocks installed, but we neve trusted them again.
My guess would be a drop in air pressure of the trailer tires. While driving the tires get warm, air pressure increases. After the trailer was sitting for 45 mins or so, the tires cooled, the air pressure decreased, and the "tight fitting" x-chock was no longer tight.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #50

Chocking tire both sides front and back is a must level site or not . not to chock is asking for trouble some day it will bite you in the you know where .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Chocking tire both sides front and back is a must level site or not . not to chock is asking for trouble some day it will bite you in the you know where .
That is exactly how we train all the new farm employees. Get in the habit of doing it correctly every time untl it becomes second nature. Then when you actually need it, it's done. No shortcuts and safe practices save employees and equipment, no matter how much they complain
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #52

My patented chock is even an anti-theft device...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_153714.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	246413  
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #53

Don't "should on me"

I'm sure the intent of the OP was to be helpful, et al. But I gotta tell you that I am getting tired of folks in the RV world "shoulding on me".

Unsolicited posts extolling the virtues of a particular thing, method, et al. and then insisting that I "should" do a thing..... with the implication that I am somehow wrong or "less than" if I do not comply.

Maybe it's just that I am in the process of quitting Copenhagen...

Have a nice rest of your day out there. Be well and be safe! <---- NOT "shoulding"; that is a blessing.
cautery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #54
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautery View Post
I'm sure the intent of the OP was to be helpful, et al. But I gotta tell you that I am getting tired of folks in the RV world "shoulding on me".

Unsolicited posts extolling the virtues of a particular thing, method, et al. and then insisting that I "should" do a thing..... with the implication that I am somehow wrong or "less than" if I do not comply.

Have a nice rest of your day out there. Be well and be safe! &lt;---- NOT "shoulding"; that is a blessing.
Everybody has 'their' way and many of those folks believe it to be the 'only' way.

It doesn't have to be YOUR way.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautery View Post

Have a nice rest of your day out there. Be well and be safe! &lt;---- NOT "shoulding"; that is a blessing.
Just curious, who told you to quit copenhagen?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #56

Straight from the Horse's Mouth

After reading most of the earlier posts on this thread, I called BAL to ask them if X-Chocks could be used with or without "regular" chocks. After some "let me send you to ..." I was referred to John in their technical service department. John's line was busy so I left a message.

He called me back in a couple of hours and left me a voice mail. Basically, John said that X-Chocks are stabilizers and should be used as such. He reinforced the warning on their webpage that the X-Chocks should be installed AFTER leveling the camper. Otherwise, they could be damaged if the axles moved during leveling.

He also cautioned that if you have a fifth wheel rig, they need to be removed before hitching up since pushing back into the trailer to get the hitch to catch could damage the X-Chocks.

So, use regular chocks to keep your rig from moving when unhitching. Level your rig, THEN apply the X-Chocks to stabilize the rig.

Straight from the horse's mouth ....
Dwill3332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
-------------
The last thing I disconnect is the safety chain, after chocking, unhitching, etc.
I had my utility trailer try to take off once when I unhooked... chains saved me.
I try to learn from others' mistakes...as in this case.
Exactly. I never unhook the chains or the breakaway safety cable until I am chocked, off the hitch and ready to pull the truck away.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #58

Sorry but BS excuse. Don't blame the user for not retightening after the tires cooled. They are not intended to be used as chocks and I've read multiple reports of them popping out and getting bent. They are NOT chocks. By the way I contacted them for printed instructions and they responded they don't have any. The person responded they are a stabilization device refusing to call them a chock. Obviously they won't state otherwise or accept liability if they fail.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:57 AM   #59

This was their response. They don't expect them to be super tight by their own response.

JH
John Hawkins commented on this incident on Jan 20, 2021 - 5:46pm
We do not have any instructions to email on the X-Chock. This is a stabilization device and does not require heavy torque to use as intended. After you position between the tires, use the short ratchet included. Once the foot pads touch the tire, ad another 1/2 to full turn to secure them. You will feel the resistance in the handle. It is important to not use a cordless impact style drill because you can overstress the device. You will feel the chock tighten enough to do it's job.

Thank you for your business.

John

BAL R.V. Products
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #60
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If the purpose of this thread was to point out that X-Chocks are not to be used in place of conventional wheel chocks, that was accomplished in the very 1st post.

It seems to have turned into a bashing of BAL and their product. Education is great... when it starts to take on the feel of a vendetta, that's different.

I simply don't see a need to continue to shout from the mountain tops about their usefulness (or lack of) and whether the company intended the user to use them in any way other than what they were manufactured for.

Time to close this thread.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocks, trailer