Originally Posted by Iggy
Chucking is the trailer jerking motion on the tow truck.
Some things that could cause this are
- Trailer tongue weight too light on truck and not enough to maintain good contact with plate.
- Improperly mounted or installed hitch. (not over axle)
- Hitch locking mechanism and trailer have worn parts and causes slack.
- If 5th wheel hitch it too high or too low making trailer not balanced with truck.
- Trailer brakes set too aggressive.
- Roadway is bumpy or is uneven will cause chucking
These are just a few thinks that may cause it
These are excellent "thinks" and need looking into.
Trailer brakes not aggressive enough will also cause slamming and bouncing on the hitch during stops.
Earlier mentioned was a Teflon "lube" plate, but they do not work on hitches that do not allow rotation around the king pin like the Slide-Rite.