Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #1

Class C vs Travel Trailer

My wife and I are considering changing from our 35 ft travel trailer to a 32 foot class C.

The concern we have is on road stability. We had to upgrade my truck from a F150 to a F250 to pull the trailer in a means that we felt safe. So we don't want to go and get something that is going to be blown all over the road.

We are thinking about pulling a Wrangler behind the RV.

The change would make our total outfit 7 foot shorter than we have now.

Opinion on those that have driven both???

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Went from a 32' TT to a 32' Class C this year. I wouldn't trade it for a thing. Towing a Jeep Liberty.
Disclaimer - I have made some modifications to help the stability. I figure it's almost as planted as it's going to get. Hardly any effect from passing 18 wheelers or big trucks.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Went from a 32' TT to a 32' Class C this year. I wouldn't trade it for a thing. Towing a Jeep Liberty.
Disclaimer - I have made some modifications to help the stability. I figure it's almost as planted as it's going to get. Hardly any effect from passing 18 wheelers or big trucks.
What modifications did you make?? That is our whole issue. We have two kids and want them to enjoy riding in the Class C, but also want to make sure we are safe.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinDoc View Post
What modifications did you make?? That is our whole issue. We have two kids and want them to enjoy riding in the Class C, but also want to make sure we are safe.
Steering stabilizer, aftermarket rear sway bar and a rear trac bar. No sawing on the wheel going down the road and the coach doesn't sway when big trucks pass. It also rides flatter through curves and doesn't feel like it's top heavy.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 09-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Citrus County, Fl.

We also went from a 35' Flagstaff to a 32' Forester. As others have stated, some additions additions to the suspension will help. I have not done so yet but am planning on adding a Roadmaster steering stabilizer.

We have towed our Corolla about 4000 miles so far and don't even know it is back there. I wanted a toad that was comfortable, good on gas and would not be in the repair shop as soon as the warranty ran out.

The class C is much better for my wife as she does not travel well anymore and can lay down and use the bathroom when she needs to. Also, we now have two grand kids and there is much more sleeping room as our Flagstaff would only sleep 4 people.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Insert witty title here

I like a TT. There alot more affordable, can be just as spacious and you don't need to tow a vehicle, just un couple and use you TV.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
Chuck

I agree. I have done both and am now back in a TT with an F250 as my tow vehicle. Disconnect and go. Cheaper on insurance too and only one vehicle has an engine and drive train. I have a camper shell on my truck so have lots of carrying capacity as well. No pulling fuses for the towed vehicle, no dead batteries etc.
Idaho_Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #8
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_Chuck View Post
I agree. I have done both and am now back in a TT with an F250 as my tow vehicle. Disconnect and go. Cheaper on insurance too and only one vehicle has an engine and drive train. I have a camper shell on my truck so have lots of carrying capacity as well. No pulling fuses for the towed vehicle, no dead batteries etc.
I understand what Idaho_Chuck and timfromma are saying. We felt the same way for years. But, ya know, I can drive my Sunseeker with my Liberty in tow and feel a lot more confidant than towing a TT. My gas mileage is pretty much the same with the Sunseeker/Liberty as it was in my Nissan Armada/Flagstaff. I've got the comforts of home right with me as I am driving, and passenger(s) can go to the restroom while we're moving. If I am hungry and don't want to stop, food is right there in the fridge.
BTW, I don't pull any fuses and I don't worry about a dead battery. No stopping every couple hours and running the toad to charge the battery.
Was I apprehensive in going to the Sunseeker? Yep. Am I glad I did it? Yep. Do I see myself going back to a TT? Not at the present time. I'm enjoying the daylights out of this unit!

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 09-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #9

I think it depends on how you travel. I went from a 21' TT to a 25' TT to a 28' Class C. But I tend to take driving vacations where I don't stay any 1 place very long. I just finished a 2000 mile trip from GA to PA to OH to MI to KY and back to GA. The most I stayed was 3 nights in 1 place. If I had to hook up and unhook a TT for that it would be quite painful. I also tow a Honda CR-V and it does great.

It is not quite as stable as I like but at no time do I feel unsafe. In fact, the TT moved me around as much or more than the Class C moves. You might rent one to take a test drive to be sure though.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

One other thing....
Yes, the cost of the Sunseeker is above a TT. But combine that TT with what you pay for a TV and it's usually a wash. My Sunseeker payment is pretty close to what I was paying for the Armada. Of course, the payments are spread out over more months, but look at all that interest I'll be able to claim on taxes, since it's like a mortgage.
Think about that as well.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 09-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #11

should I stay or should I go

We went with a small C toading a jk jeep (4 down is the better method if you tow, pulling the fuse on a newer jeep is nothing). We run down the road with traffic unless a big incline jumps up.

Have logged a lot of miles, our chevy 4500 chassis tracks true without truck sway.

With all of that said I may switch to a 3500 duramax with a modest long 5ver. My original f150 is getting a little long in the tooth and is near trade time.

Would be in a dynamax hd toading the jeep, but they want too many nickles. The C gives us an always cool temp coach with full power and water from pre departure to arrival back home. The genny and satt makes pit stops a walk to the living room having a sip of tea and watching the news with the feet up.

Is it worth the trade for 400 hp and 800 torque (17's unknown) to power up the road, but give up comfort in route travel? Still dont know that answer. The truck trade may force that issue.... the home accounting department is sensitive to assest volume.

I am having a jonni mitchell moment "dont know what you got till its gone"

How was that for a non answer.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
World Wide Wanderer

We went from a TT to Class C and so far are happy with the move. I have had TT's for the past 20+ years. Being self contained and able to park and step to the back for lunch or a potty break is great. For many years I wouldn't consider a motor home, felt they were too much extra work, etc, etc. We started looking at Class C's about a year ago. We found the Concord 300DS on a dealer's lot and the rest is history. We have camped more with it in the past 7 months than we did with the TT in previous 2 years. We keep it pretty well stocked and ready to go at a moment's notice.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:59 AM   #13
Insert witty title here

Quote:
One other thing....
Yes, the cost of the Sunseeker is above a TT. But combine that TT with what you pay for a TV and it's usually a wash. My Sunseeker payment is pretty close to what I was paying for the Armada. Of course, the payments are spread out over more months, but look at all that interest I'll be able to claim on taxes, since it's like a mortgage.
Think about that as well.

Yes but now you must drive your camper whenever you want to venture beyond the campground.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:29 AM   #14
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Yes but now you must drive your camper whenever you want to venture beyond the campground.
Negative. Check the signature.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 09-15-2016, 06:20 AM   #15
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Negative. Check the signature.
In your previous post you said "Yes, the cost of the Sunseeker is above a TT. But combine that TT with what you pay for a TV and it's usually a wash."

You have your Class C AND your TOAD. You now have 2 driveable vehicles with a combined cost of well over the cost of my TT and TV. Let's not forget higher insurance and maintenance costs as well.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #16

If you are talking safety for your kids as you travel, the TT and pick up is best. I did research two years ago when we were considering what type of RV to buy. The seats at the dinettes have lap belts, but they are not anchored into the unit the same as in a truck. Also, the seats are not manufactured to the same standards of the truck, so they can easily break apart. The third issue is that the structure of the unit itself is not made to withstand a rollover. It is made of wood and metal or fiberglass. You are much safer in a vehicle that is manufactured with rollover bars, side curtain airbags, and other safety features. That is my opinion after doing my research.

On another note, I know a gentleman who was towing and whose wife decided to unbuckle to reach for something in the back seat. At the same time they were sideswiped by an 18 wheeler (wouldn't matter if it is a TT, Class A, or Class C in this situation) and she was ejected and killed. I wouldn't get up and move about in an RV going down the road because of the risk. Now, I'm sure I will get digs for this remark, but I work in the medical field and value my safety.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
In your previous post you said "Yes, the cost of the Sunseeker is above a TT. But combine that TT with what you pay for a TV and it's usually a wash."

You have your Class C AND your TOAD. You now have 2 driveable vehicles with a combined cost of well over the cost of my TT and TV. Let's not forget higher insurance and maintenance costs as well.
When I switched to the Class C, my insurance went up$54/year. Value of the toad is negligible due to its age. Big difference in MSRP and what a person can negotiate. My experience may not be the same as others, but I did what I could to keep costs down. It can be done.
That's it folks. I'm done justifying my position. Let's just go out and

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
When I switched to the Class C, my insurance went up$54/year. Value of the toad is negligible due to its age. Big difference in MSRP and what a person can negotiate. My experience may not be the same as others, but I did what I could to keep costs down. It can be done.
That's it folks. I'm done justifying my position. Let's just go out and
X2 on the !!!

Everybody is different, to each their own!

I've always like the idea of a Class A or C with a toad, but until we find one under 30' - 35' with a floorplan that the works for us as well as our current TT, then we are gonna keep on dragging it around! Which I have no problem doing!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Pull a trailer, haul motorcycles, street legal golf cart, or even a small car. Problem solved

if you live in a state that will give you an license plate for one of these, can drive a stick shift, and want a fun mobile. Check out the Oreion Reeper or the Durrux DRX2. Both are street legal side by sides in many states. Indiana plates them as a mini'truck. Michigan changed the laws so plating them is questionable, but if they have an out of state plate they are street legal. BTW, they both build four a four seater also.

It is amazing how some seem to be anti motorhome, but will spend 80 grand on a one ton dually and then another 60 grand or so on a 5er, when they could have a decent sized class "A" and a new toad for about the same price.

Make that a class "C" gasser and own the RV and the toad for the price of that Dually.

Everyone should test drive both and then make their own decision. Remember you will never find an impartial opinion on a forum.

I owned an older 26' 5er. When we decided it was time to upgrade we did a lot of research and weighed the pros and cons of each.

We finally chose a 2017 MBS Sunseeker 2400 WS and pull a NEO NAMR127TR trailer containing his and hers 2015 Honda Shadow motorcycles, along with all the camping accessories that would push the class "C" over the weight limit.

We get 13 mpg rolling down the road at 65 mph

I still have my 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD tow vehicle. Its rust free and only has 62K miles on it but it wasn't going to tow a 35' toy hauler down the road so we would have had to purchase both a diesel dually as well as the 5er.

Had we gone the dually/toy hauler route, I would have had to rent a place to store it when not in use. I can drive what I have up into the back yard and store it behind my work shop.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #20
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Pull a trailer, haul motorcycles, street legal golf cart, or even a small car. Problem solved

if you live in a state that will give you an license plate for one of these, can drive a stick shift, and want a fun mobile. Check out the Oreion Reeper or the Durrux DRX2. Both are street legal side by sides in many states. Indiana plates them as a mini'truck. Michigan changed the laws so plating them is questionable, but if they have an out of state plate they are street legal. BTW, they both build four a four seater also.

It is amazing how some seem to be anti motorhome, but will spend 80 grand on a one ton dually and then another 60 grand or so on a 5er, when they could have a decent sized class "A" and a new toad for about the same price.

Make that a class "C" gasser and own the RV and the toad for the price of that Dually.

Everyone should test drive both and then make their decision.

We chose a 2017 MBS Sunseeker 2400 WS and pull a NEO NAMR127TR trailer containing his and hers 2015 Honda Shadow motorcycles, along with all the camping accessories that would push the class "C" over the weight limit.

We get 13 mpg rolling down the road at 65 mph
This goes back to the premise that a Class C requires that you tow some kind of secondary vehicle unless your ok with breaking camp to go anywhere.

Tags
class c, trailer, travel, travel trailer