Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

closing trailer for winter

I have a new Forest River Cherokee destination trailer which I purchased this past Spring. First time closing it for the winter. It will stay at the RV park on Crane Lake MN. Have questions and seeking any advice concerning closing down procedures.
First, should I cover the trailer with a tarp for the winter. I am purchasing a cover for the air conditioning unit. I would need a very large tarp to cover the 40 foot trailer which I am tending to think I should do.
I am planning on using 303 Aerospace protectant for the seals around the slide outs and the awning. Is this OK or should I use a different product.
What should I use to lubricate the the slide out gears: WD - 40? lithium grease? something else.
I will be pumping anti-freeze through the water system. Was told that I don't need to add any to the holding tanks, just leave the drains open.
The sewer is permanent with 3 inch PVC connected to the park septic. Should I disconnect the system?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I am new at this.

cranelake99
cranelake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Team

NO to the tarp unless you want mold and mildew.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #3

Myself I would not cover the trailer or the AC unit, if the valves are left open there should be no problem and if you run pink stuff thru the water lines, and bypass the water heater and drain it.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
Site Team

I would definitely disconnect the unit from the septic. The traps can dry out over the winter and allow sewer gas to enter unit. Empty water heater ( remove anode rod (suburban) or open drain plug (Atwood). Remove inside and outside shower head and sink sprayer if equipped. Put antifreeze in all drain traps. Once drained, leave black and gray tank drain valves open just a crack so water does not accumulate in PVC plumbing, but critters can not enter. If you cover ( I do) use a good RV cover that breathes and secure it good so it does not blow around too much. Will it be plugged in? If so you will need to check battery water periodically. If not, I would bring battery home. Remove anything that can freeze ( cleaners, etc)

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelake99 View Post
What should I use to lubricate the the slide out gears: WD - 40? lithium grease? something else.

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated. I am new at this.

cranelake99
There is a special lube for slide out gears. I got mine from Camping World. You just spray it on and let it dry. You do not want to use a tacky grease on the gears, as it will pick up dirt.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #6

I have always covered my rv's and motor homes. Use a quality Rv cover and not a tarp. I like to protect it from the uv rays. I put about a 1/2 gallon of Rv antifreeze in each holding tank. This keeps the seals from drying out and the mice from getting in. Never had an issue doing this for 35 years. Be sure to winterize your fridge if it has an ice maker. Use the slide protectant mentioned in a previous post.
Jtf320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
MCTroy

Throw several drier sheets around inside. Put them in the closets, cupboards, drawers and corners. Our TT spent last winter on the dealer service lot where plenty of critters were making their homes. No mice or bugs this spring and the camper smelled good!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

No critters

We put bounce dryer sheets in the tt, lots of them, drawers cupboards etc. Moth balls outsidecaround the tires where the critters go up. So far so good.
Threegaleh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, winter