Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #1

Coachmen Orion 20 CB

Does anyone know if the furnace in an Orion series MH only runs on electric? I know there is one thermostat for both air and heat. Seems strange I would have to turn on the generator every time I need heat. My last rigs had propane heat and did not require electricity. Could be some cold fall nights coming up!
Kenmacflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #2

Your last rigs were propane for the heat but electricity (12 volts) is what turned the fan on and it's the same in your Orion. The thermostat is 12 volts and so you can select furnace without genny and/or shore power. Just like your other rigs.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #3

Orion furnace

Thanks for your reply. Does the furnace run from the coach battery or propane?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

Unless you have a rather unusual furnace it runs on both. Propane for the heat generation and 12 volts (coach battery) for the fan and other electrical furnace requirements. This is the same way your other units operated unless the had just catalytic heaters or equivalent.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Yep, the furnace isn't "electric" exactly. The heating source comes from propane. The fan and electronics are 12v and should run off the house battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Orion furnace

That certainly makes sense. I was worried because if I called for air, I couldn't get the thermostat to even light up unless I had the Jenny on or shore power. I am going to try tonight to see if I can get heat with no Jenny.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #7

Coachmen 20cb

Thank you all for you comments. I went to the camper and turned on the power switch, and to my amazement, the thermostat lit up and I was able to call for heat from the furnace. It must be only when you call for air conditioning that you need the generator. This is a big load off my mind because in the next few weeks, we will be doing some fall camping and will definitely want to be warm! Joining this forum has paid off already!

Tags
coachmen