Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Cold weather pick up/PDI

Being in Ontario - Canada, the weather at this time of year is unpredictable at best. Day time temps in the +5 to +10 range can still equate to night time temps below zero (Celsius)and there is still a decent chance of snowfall some time in the next 3 weeks or so.

Because of this I have a question around the pick up of our new trailer that we have scheduled for Tuesday of next week (March 27th). I am assuming that if I want to have a full and proper PDI/walk thru/“this is how everything works” session with the dealer it will require the trailer to have been “de-winterized” so that the water pump for the fresh tank and the water heater can be tested and the plumbing in general can be checked for leaks.

That being said, after the pickup the trailer will be sitting on an open lot for a month before we can do our first trip. So - do I leave it de-winterized, even tho it will experience sub zero night temps for part of that month, or should I “re-winterize”?

We are total newbies here so any advice would be welcome, including what level of re-winterizing would be appropriate should be take that route.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Grammar Pedant

PDI in freezing temps.

I failed to provide an update, so I'll do it here.

I was able to test everything but the water heater. The water system was shown pumping anti-freeze. I didn't demand a de-winterization, demo of heated water, and a re-winterization. Maybe I should have, but I didn't.

My PDI was in an enclosed heated shop (with about 10 bays). It lasted about an hour and we covered EVERYTHING inside and out. Tried every drawer, knob, and electrical appliance. Furnace, microwave, all burners, oven, A/C, and on and on. No stone unturned, other than the aforementioned water heater.

Positive experience.

I drove it home, went to a pressure wash car wash, and spent a lot of time washing off all of the road salt and grime.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #3

Ideally, the dealer will test with a winterized solution in the system. Then all you need do is flush the system prior to your first trip. We took notes during the walk through as there is a lot of information to process.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #4

I did winter PDI. Trailer was winterized and they did not dewinterize. I was too new to know any better.

I got lucky and had no issues with water heater and the lines were pressurized with the antifreeze so I made out ok.

If I were to do it again I would bring antifreeze and have them drain it and pressurize and walk me through rewinterizing.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

We did a PDI on our new coach a few weeks ago. It was set up inside one of the service bays. They had the water system ready with the water heater on before we arrived. Dealer re-winterized after we were through.
2015 Coachmen Apex 259BHSS 50th Anniversary (sold)
rjc1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

2400W

I took delivery of ours Friday 13th, 2017, in a heated garage. They had both city and tank water systems going with W/H on for the delivery. After all was done they ran the pink through everything and labeled the door "winterized". It stayed that way till mid March when we took her south. Not a hiccup since we got it P T L !!! Have had it out on freezing nights with only one frozen water hose connection. Remember to keep it dripping !!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Make them dewinterize, run through ALL the systems and then winterize again and let them show you how. It should only take a few minutes and a gallon or so of antifreeze. It will be good experience.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #8

X2 what garbonz said . . .
Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc1024 View Post
We did a PDI on our new coach a few weeks ago. It was set up inside one of the service bays. They had the water system ready with the water heater on before we arrived. Dealer re-winterized after we were through.
Sounds like you have a Good Dealer !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #10

What if the lines were pressurized with air from the factory. Wouldn’t a hissing if you turn the faucet indicate a non leaking system?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #11

That would tell you plumbing does not leak. They would typically bypass the water heater and you would not know if the water heater worked or leaked.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
That would tell you plumbing does not leak. They would typically bypass the water heater and you would not know if the water heater worked or leaked.

Gottcha.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 AM   #13

I understand the way they test units @ the factory is with air ???
Not sure that is the greatest of all ideas ???
Old 03-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I understand the way they test units @ the factory is with air ???
Not sure that is the greatest of all ideas ???
They test new houses with air before they connect to water. Pressurize the system with a gauge on it, come back a few days later to check the pressure. By using water, you wouldn't necessarily see a drip hidden in a wall.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
They test new houses with air before they connect to water. Pressurize the system with a gauge on it, come back a few days later to check the pressure. By using water, you wouldn't necessarily see a drip hidden in a wall.
Very true sometimes,,, but RV builders do not wait a few days,,,
Maybe a few seconds ???
LOL !!!

The kid that worked for the plumber when our house was built turned the water on and left,,, I met him on the road as I was coming to see how things were going,,, when I got here I had to turn the water off and fix 4 leaks !!!
The builder walked in as I was fixing the leak under the Dishwasher,,, he said what are you doing ??? After I told him what I and found,,, he went and called the plumber,,, sorry to say the young man lost his job !!!

Tags
pdi