Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 03:02 AM   #1

Columbus 385BH Questions

I am about to order a Columbus 385BH. I have been researching this unit for a year and thanks to this forum was able to decide what options were best for us and which we don't need. I have 2 concerns that hopefully I can get suggestions on. First, in the kitchen there isn't much storage space for pots, pans, dinnerware...any solutions? Second, I will have a toaster oven that will go on top of the stove area and I don't see any other place to put a coffeemaker...any ideas? Does the convection microwave replace a toaster oven?
Thanks!
Amresweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #2

Another good source of info is the Columbus facebook group. I have a 320RS so can't help with 385BH kit storage questions.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #3

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #4

I don't have your unit but my Sierra fifth wheel seemed to have the same issue. I matched up the counter and had a little counter made and used some folding shelf brackets to attach it to the end of the counter/cabinet. I also found that some of the cabinets had no shelves in them. So I bought some wood and made shelves and stained them to match. Now have more storage so to speak
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #5

Great idea! Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #6

We're looking at spending a year in one, so that's something to think about. Until the summer Camping World sold an under cabinet coffee maker, which would have been perfect. Considering I'm the only coffee drinker in the family we will most likely be getting something smaller and, as suggested, adding a fold down counter extension to put it on during use.

I'll look again but am betting there's a ton of hidden storage in the kitchen; under the stove (or the stove itself, as the microwave is convection), in the island, and over the table. Another suggestion: go to Home Depot/Lowes and check out their kitchen section, specfically the organizers. We have some pot and pan storage racks in our home kitchen that nearly doubles the useable space in the cabinet. Even the lids fit nicely. We lived in a 27' Starcraft non-slide for about 6 months, and had to get creative with storage, like hanging pans on the back of the doors.

Considering this rig also has an outdoor kitchen, we don't plan on being much inside in nicer weather (most of the year for us) so a lot of kitchen stuff will be out there. Saying that, we also plan on limiting size and quantity of cookware to some basics, nothing over 12".
norfl1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus