Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Comparing RV Cover Brands

Would like to purchase an RV Cover for our new 28 foot Class C. I've been comparing the brands and would appreciate some input. We're in California-lots of sun, strong winds, and winter rain. Would like one that won't be too heavy to lug up to the top of the RV, that will prevent mold and mildew, and that will be most likely to withstand the winds (venting fabric). I know, I'm asking a lot here, but it's worth a try. I understand the need to cover/protect protruding parts. A permanent structure is not an option on our property. I'm comparing the Classic Accessories Permapro Heavy Duty, the ADCO Designer Series Tyveck Class, The Expedition, the ADCO Aquashed, and the Calmark. The Clamark sounds great, but I'm concerned about the weight and the reviews that claim water accumulation on the roof. Thanks!
aerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #2

I bought a Goldline for a Rockwood 2702 about 2 weeks ago. Living in central Fl, a cover is a necessity. So far I like it although it is a little heavy. It takes about 35 minutes to put on, a little
quicker coming off. Cost was $550.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #3

I have the ADCO Designer (grey one) on my trailer. The week after I put it on we got 40-50 mph winds here in Vegas and it held up. I got it to keep the Vegas sun from fading my paint/decals. So far it has been staying on with no rips. It also comes with extra material incase you need to patch a hole. Make sure you put something over the gutter spouts in the corners and the ladder to keep it from tearing the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	77734  

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Tennis balls over the gutter spouts work.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #5

Our first cover was an Expedition, made of a nonwoven fabric, and it barely made it three seasons. It was light, but cheap with cheap zippers, and it did not hold up in the sun at all. We replaced that with a CalMark made of Sunbrella woven fabric. It fit like a glove, and still looked almost new when we traded the trailer three years later. We bought a second CalMark for the current trailer, and it is the same quality cover as the last one. I think the woven fabrics hold up better than the non-woven ones.

Any piece of cloth that big is going to have some weight to it, but I can carry this one myself, and hoist it up on the roof using a strap by myself. It helps to store it in a plastic trash can when you aren't using it.

Pieces of pool noodle are good for padding sharp edges too.

Any
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #6

I bought a Adco designer cover for my 24' Forester a couple of weeks before it was delivered. I use my RV every month for 4days so I don't even bother with it, just cover my tires mirrors wipers and windows. If your not storring for awhile I think they're a waste of money, to darn heavy to put on and take off every few weeks. just my opinion
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

Covers if you live in eastern Canada and want to use the trailer in the winter are useless. I bought one and when I got to take it off in January to go to Florida I found the snow had melded into the fabric and when you moved it the fabric fell apart. If you are a summer user and don't move from the fall until the spring then they may provide some protection. However one assumes that in the summer you are going to use the trailer then and the sun will do its work anyway?
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #8

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time. Tennis balls and pool noodles are great ideas. I understand what some of you are saying about not using covers. We're not exactly thrilled about having to bother with it. We're just concerned about the California sun and tree and bird droppings, from the surrounding trees, taking their toll. Cathcartww, I'm glad to hear that the Calmark is light enough for one person to pull up. Have you had any problems with water getting under the cover and pooling on the roof, as some reviews have mentioned? I was under the impression that the ADCO covers are quite lightweight. Evo2700, do you find your cover as light and simple to put on as advertised? Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2015, 06:43 AM   #9

I am on my second Classic Accessories Permapro Heavy Duty and live in the Vero Beach area of Florida where the sun is brutal. My first cover worked well as far as keeping the trailer clean, but the fabric began to disintegrate after one years use.
The manufacturer/distributor replaced it with no questions asked after sending photos. I don't know if it was a bad run or not. The cover is lightweight and has heavy duty side zippers and vents on the roof and along the sides. It is exposed to some fairly strong winds over the winter and I did use corner protectors. the torn fabric was in the middle of spans with no corners or obstructions near the tears.The new cover has gone through one season and we are now on the road. So far so good, will keep you posted. I bought it through Walmart for around $430 I believe.
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #10

Thank you, WSY DD693. I hope your current cover has a much better life span. Please do keep me posted.

Tags
cover