Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #61

In the early days when we had PUP's DW would try and help me get backed in and it was usually painful for both of us so I got to where I'd just "do it myself". After we graduated to TT's I kept doing it myself until I was backing into a spot on one trip and clipped the site marker post with the drain valves. Got lucky and the plumbing broke on the street side of the valves - a $25 lesson! A couple trips later I clipped the electrical box with a side marker light - a $4 lesson.

I have now instructed DW to NOT let me do it myself! BTW, she didn't even give me so much as stink eye either time - gotta love that girl!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:23 PM   #62

I replaced a perfectly good Airstream with a piece of crap Rpod. In the first 7 months warranty cost to Forst River now over $4000. If they had an actual QA inspection program 90% of the issues could of been prevented before it left the build floor.
Awchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:24 PM   #63
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

When a company gets poor reviews it's usually because they earn them.
About Camping World this is true in most cases...

However, for a lot of other businesses and products it is hard to tell because people that have good experiences with a company or product tend to keep that to themselves or just tell their family and friends verbally.

But when a bad experience or product is found it seems that most people will shout it out from the mountain tops how bad their experience or product was...

And won't stop until they are made to, their fingers get tired or they loose their voice.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #64

Newby Ignorance

My partner and I had purchased our first TT that needed a truck to pull it. We decided to head to West Virginia for a couple of weeks. Well, one of the campgrounds we stayed had a tight turn and we had our trailer cord in the wrong place so it got pinched in the turn and there went all our lights. We managed to find a repair place in the boonies and they used some electrical tape to keep it together until we could replace it. They asked us to check our trailer brakes to see that they were working. We did not know that we were supposed to have a brake controller installed in the truck to control the brakes of the trailer. Thus, we traveled from the flats of Wisconsin through the hills of West Virginia and back to Wisconsin with NO BRAKE CONTROLLER, and also a patched up lighting system.

Needless to say, two years later, we decided to get rid of the truck and are on a permanent campsite with no hauling!
DC Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #65

Here's another good one

Our first 5er had the power cord that pushed into the back of the unit. I was taking it to the dealer for service and about 30 miles up the interstate a guy pulls up next to me and points back at the 5er. Pull over and find I have half of my power cord left. I forgot to unplug it from the extension cord when I pulled out of the driveway. Found it pulled all the way to the end of the drive before it unplugged. Another $200 bill

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #66

I have no problem with going to Camping World to buy something if they have the best price on it. Camping World didn't make the product, they are just selling it.

As far as what I did, i had a very tight spot at Joshua Tree that I couldn't put the equilizer bars on since the truck was at a huge angle. I pulled out of the spot, used the power jack to lift up the back of the truck to put the bars on. Unfortunately, I drove off without putting the jack back down. Was the first trip with the trailer so got to replace the marginal Lippert jack with a new Husky one which is awesome. In the back of my mind, I was going to eventually replace it anyway. Just did it sooner than I thought.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #67

Trying too hard to stop a small leak on the water facet and water hose. Grabbing a couple of wrenches to tighten the connection, only to snap the pcv pipe below the faucet. Flooded the park, neighbors were not happy having to have the water shut off for about an hour until the repair was completed. Lesson learned, dont try to stop a water leak in a campground.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #68
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Ummm...have to add another. When I got my pop up, I had charged the battery before putting it in the camper. That night, when I got to my destination, I hooked it up not knowing that the RV industry uses the black wire for the hot lead, and white as ground. Hey, the lights worked.....but the heater would not even light, as it was running backwards! Mannnnn....that was a cold first night! (4” snow in AZ in July in the mountains!) After much futzing with it the next morning, a kind neighbor showed me the error of my ways! Surprising thing, nothing fried and everything worked.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:50 PM   #69

I'm towing a fifth wheel with a puny little half ton truck. OMG we're all gonna die.
And the fiver is a SOB Bwahahaha booga booga.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #70

I was on my second trip with my Hensley and I fastened the chains outside the hitch. First U-turn and they popped the chains right off the trailer. I googled for repair shops and went to get them welded back on. While hooking back up I broke the pin to raise the WDH in the driveway of the mobile repair guy so I had to ask for more help finding a screw that fit instead which I then sheared off again....the repair guy was patient with me and kept helping...he did not really have a choice because I could not leave and neither could he.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
About Camping World this is true in most cases...

However, for a lot of other businesses and products it is hard to tell because people that have good experiences with a company or product tend to keep that to themselves or just tell their family and friends verbally.

But when a bad experience or product is found it seems that most people will shout it out from the mountain tops how bad their experience or product was...

And won't stop until they are made to, their fingers get tired or they loose their voice.

So true, took a sales course one taught by a well respected company they say a happy customer on average will tell 3 people an unhappy customer tells 10
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #72

My sin was being impatient at the fill/dump station. Went around another trailer that was dumping and a sapling jumped out and bit my awning arm. Sapling won.. But the repair included an adjustable arm so a win.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #73

I thought our site needed a water feature.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	195979

We like a water view site.
Click image for larger version

Name:	56460772108__85F75E1B-6409-46AD-BC82-9F22876C7212.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	195980
Old 02-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #74

Pulled the draw bar out of my Hensley hitch without putting the tongue jack down. Dropped the trailer on the ground.

We had a fifth wheel with independent landing gear - you could raise/lower the left, right, or both together. Wasn't paying attention while unhitching and extended only one leg. The trailer came up crooked and bound the hitch, causing the truck to start lifting up with the trailer. All that weight on one leg bent the leg's support structure.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #75
Who Dares, Wins

While flushing my black tank in Florida, I got distracted.. Heard a few groans coming from the camper.. Remembered about the tank flush running and as I was running to shut it off.... Had a 3ft geyser of water come blowing out the roof vent! While it looked amazing... I was happy nothing was damaged.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #76

Going for a 12 pack this time. Told you it was going to be good.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
While flushing my black tank in Florida, I got distracted.. Heard a few groans coming from the camper.. Remembered about the tank flush running and as I was running to shut it off.... Had a 3ft geyser of water come blowing out the roof vent! While it looked amazing... I was happy nothing was damaged.
Isn't that how you're supposed clean out the vent line? For some that might be an annual maintenance item
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #78
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Visions of Robin Williams in the movie RV!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
Going for a 12 pack this time. Told you it was going to be good.
Travel safe
Why not just have it delivered in Kegs? Safer than driving to the store with a load on.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Now I know why there is a huge warning sign next to my flush connector that warns about having dump valve open when using.

Just like I thought, it's there because someone, somewhere, didn't.

I guess it would be one way to keep a roof cool if camping in Arizona during the middle of summer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote