Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #1

confused about water filter winterization

First time owner here. I see everyone says remove the water filter for winterization. I can see the filter through the plastic see through "canister" under the bathroom sink.

Is the filter and canister a single unit? Or do you somehow remove the canister and then remove the filter inside and then replace the canister without the filter before doing the antifreeze winterization?

I'm hoping that it kind of works like a house refrigerator filter. Unscrew the filter (the entire thing) and it cuts off water to it, i.e. "automatically" bypasses the filter.

I've also seen where people say to get a plate to put in place after the filter (or may canister) has been removed?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thx!
capebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
(Kim)

I remove the canister carefully with towels under is because it will spray out when you unscrew it, take out the filter, throw it out, empty water out of the canister and put it back on.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #3

Before removing the filter housing turn off the water and then relieve the pressure in the lines by opening a faucet and letting water drain out. This will make unscrewing the filter much easier. As already mentioned, put towels under it because you probably will spill some water. Then remove the cartridge.

IMPORTANT: When you empty the remaining water from the filter housing, make sure the rubber gasket doesn't fall out. It's a thin "O" ring gasket that sits in the top of the housing.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #4

Are you doing this before winterizing? I'm thinking if so that the canister would fill back up during the winterization process???
Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #5

Yes, when winterizing you want antifreeze in the filter housing. Don't put a new filter back into the canister until you dewinterize next spring after you have flushed the water lines out.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Its really not that much extra antifreeze that fills the canister.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #7

Here's another hint: After you have emptied the water from the filter housing, insert a clean, empty plastic soda pop bottle (with the top on and tightened) as large as will fit inside, into the filter canister before replacing the canister. The bottle will occupy most of the canister space, and you will not need to use as much antifreeze.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Arn
Arn

I put a large margarine container under the canister before removing it. Any spillage goes in there rather than all over the floor.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Campfire Master

A water heater bypass kit will fit on the water filter canister housing. I remove the canister and old filter, bypass it with a turn of the lever, then winterized as usual.
I used one from Camco. They make one with an 8" or a 12" hose. I used the 8", it was tight, should have used the longer one. Bypass Kit

John
AVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #10

I've been wanting to by-pass my in-line water filter housing permanently. I'll have to check and see if this would work for me. I like the simplicity of having the water filter on the hose attached outside. Thanks for the info.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Yes, when winterizing you want antifreeze in the filter housing. Don't put a new filter back into the canister until you dewinterize next spring after you have flushed the water lines out.
No issue w/ the antifreeze in the canister possibly expanding a hair when freezing and busting the canister? I think I've read some things along those lines but I wasn't exactly sure that is what they were saying.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

When I was doing my winterisation of my trailer, I completely removed the filter assembly and used pex fittings and hose to bypass it. No more in house filter. I modified connections to filter housing so I can now use it externally in series with the city water inlet. Easy to do and convenient.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Before removing the filter housing turn off the water and then relieve the pressure in the lines by opening a faucet and letting water drain out. This will make unscrewing the filter much easier. As already mentioned, put towels under it because you probably will spill some water. Then remove the cartridge.

IMPORTANT: When you empty the remaining water from the filter housing, make sure the rubber gasket doesn't fall out. It's a thin "O" ring gasket that sits in the top of the housing.
Good tips on relieving pressure and the o-ring gasket -- thank you!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVid View Post
A water heater bypass kit will fit on the water filter canister housing. I remove the canister and old filter, bypass it with a turn of the lever, then winterized as usual.
I used one from Camco. They make one with an 8" or a 12" hose. I used the 8", it was tight, should have used the longer one. Bypass Kit

John
I'm glad to know this can be done. I'll have to think about doing that -- maybe eventually. On the other hand, it may good to not do it and be "force" one self to throw out the old filter and replace it with a new one.

For now, for me as a new RV'er, simple is good, especially this close to freezing temps.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
When I was doing my winterisation of my trailer, I completely removed the filter assembly and used pex fittings and hose to bypass it. No more in house filter. I modified connections to filter housing so I can now use it externally in series with the city water inlet. Easy to do and convenient.
I'm glad you mentioned this. Not knowing enough about my trailer when I bought it, I ended up buying an inline water filter while I was there at the dealership shopping. I guess right now I am double filtering the water needlessly. Though I'm guessing the replacement filter for the in trailer filter are cheaper than the outside inline filters.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by capebuff

I'm glad you mentioned this. Not knowing enough about my trailer when I bought it, I ended up buying an inline water filter while I was there at the dealership shopping. I guess right now I am double filtering the water needlessly. Though I'm guessing the replacement filter for the in trailer filter are cheaper than the outside inline filters.
I just bought a replacement inline filter element on EBay for $15 with free shipping. Filter # CCI-10-C.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:09 PM   #17

i completely took out the water filter and replaced it with a peice of waterline i then added water filter to hookup outside of camper to much of a pain with it were it was much better now
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
(Kim)

What is the effect the water filter has on overall water pressure?

Has anyone (who doesn't drink the TT water) ever tried not using one, and had a chance to compare?
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post

Has anyone (who doesn't drink the TT water) ever tried not using one, and had a chance to compare?

My present camper is the first I've had with a water filter. Mind you, I never drink the water from the tap and I'm not even sure the filter will eliminate all the bad stuff. We always boil any water used for consumption such as tea and coffee.

Not sure there is an effect on water pressure. Once the water lines are filled, pressure shouldn't be affected.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post

I read that the filter reduces the pressure by 2.5 PSI. They were stressing that this was for an original filter and that cheap replacements would drop it by 10 PSI.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote