Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #1

Consumer Cellular

We're thinking about switching from Verizon to Consumer Cellular to save money on our phone plan. Both have unlimited talk & text, but Verizon is charging us about $100 for 4 gb data, and Consumer Cellular's plan is $55 for 10 gb. Any feedback on issues of coverage while traveling?
mmarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarken View Post
We're thinking about switching from Verizon to Consumer Cellular to save money on our phone plan. Both have unlimited talk & text, but Verizon is charging us about $100 for 4 gb data, and Consumer Cellular's plan is $55 for 10 gb. Any feedback on issues of coverage while traveling?
Have you looked at T-Mobile 55+ plan. We really like ours because it only costs $60 for two unlimited lines, taxes and fees included.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #3

Traveling all over FL has been fine for us ....
OK ... not retired yet but we have 3 phones on one CC plan & only $75 / month. Understand they use AT&T & T-mobile towers (from my understanding when we got ours few years ago)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #4

Thanks. I'll check that out.
mmarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

We did the opposite, switched from Consumer Cellular to Verizon. Yes, Verizon is more expensive, but the coverage is better. When I traveled for a few years with both a Verizon and a Consumer Cellular phone (on AT&T network) in my pocket, when there was a case where one phone had coverage but the other did not, nearly all the time the Verizon phone was the one that did have coverage. A phone plan at any cost is no good if it doesn't work where you are.

We got in on a Verizon $80/mo unlimited 2 line plan for 55+ age group. I don't think that is offered any more.

The final straw for us with Consumer Cellular was when I attempted to travel in Canada last year with the Consumer Cellular plan and things went horribly wrong. Without going into details, let's say the CC staff is competent at handling simple issues, but their training is terribly inadequate when the situation is anything outside of simple stuff.

CC does play an annoying game where if you exceed your monthly plan limits, they automatically bump you up to the next plan. But, they will never reset it back to your original plan. So if you have an unusually high usage month, you have to manually put the old plan back the next month, or you will forever pay for the higher cost plan, even if you don't need it.

On the other hand the T-Mobile plan looked OK, but we had no T-Mobile service at our house, so that didn't work.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Consumer cellular uses AT&T and T-Mobile. Nothing wrong with it but coverage is different than Verizon.

If you want the same coverage try looking here for options https://bestmvno.com/compare/verizon-mvnos/

A lot of times the MVNOs have better pricing than the bigger carriers especially for hotspot plans as they have very different business models. No harm in switching networks just informing you. Some MVNOs like tracefone and net10 use multiple networks (sim will determine which one you get) so make sure you understand which you are getting if they cover multiple carriers.

I have found that coverage varies by locations of course but throughput is important. Bars dont matter if nothing works with 4 of them. I carry 3 different devices on 3 carriers to maximize my chances but that is what I do for a living...they all have their strenths and weaknesses.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:07 PM   #7
PhD, Common Sense

We get amazing coverage from Consumer Cellular. I can’t imagine better. I believe it uses the AT&T network.

Every month, we reset our plans to the lowest level. It automatically levels up as needed to get us the best price. Usual bill is about $40 for both phones. The most it ever has been is about $50 total for both phones.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

We have had Straighttalk for 8+ years, 4 phones, 2 of which are teenage girls and have been thoroughly satisfied with service (Verizon) and with the cost. DH and I have the $45 plan, which includes 25gig of data and unlimited talk and text. Both of the girls have the $55 plan, which is unlimited data each month. They REALLY use it!!

The cheapest I could get with Verizon or AT&T was in excess of $200 each month before all the fees and if we went over, then $$$$.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #9

So i have prepay 15 gigs month unlimited text and call i pay $35.00 month also in rolled in autopay.i was going to switch to consumer cellular but when i really looked at their plans for me no savings and coverage wasn't the best in my location.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #10

Check out Visible.. works on Verizon

https://www.visible.com
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:20 PM   #11
FLY4FUN

Pure Talk USA (www.puretalkusa.com). There may be others comparable, but can't imagine a better deal or coverage...works well wherever we go. BYOP. Two lines @ $43.46/month all inclusive (...2 gigs for one, 4 for the other -- "unlimited" slightly more, 'though they never "turn you off" if you exceed (we never have)). They utilize AT&T system. Veteran owned & great customer service. I'm in no way involved with the company other than being an extremely happy customer for several years.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:28 PM   #12

Might check out NET-10 prepay. Have not had any issues with them throughout the lower 48.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #13

[QUOTE=Gmoney67;2442458]So i have prepay 15 gigs month unlimited text and call i pay $35.00 month also in rolled in autopay.i was going to switch to consumer cellular but when i really looked at their plans for me no savings and coverage wasn't the best in my area.

This is with Verizon forgot put in post.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Just switched to Visible wireless, owned by Verizon. The cost is $40 for unlimited talk, text, data, and hotspot. They have a program where you can join a group of 4 and the price goes down to $25 a month with 4. You can do it with 2, 3 or 4 also. Works great so far. My group is called DREAMER if you want to join. Have no clue how it works. I also get a $100 visa gift card after the second month billing. As the op said check it out. If you had Verizon before this isn’t much different and works on the same network. You can use your phone if it’s unlocked or buy one from them.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote