Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #1

Continual war against mice!

I have always tried to seal every entry point that I can find on my camper - screens over furnace openings, over refrigerator grid, etc. Last year, I took off the access panel on the bath tub to see that the opening in the floor for the drain had not been sealed at the factory - big surprise! Thought I had them all sealed last year, but still caught mice inside in traps. Today while winterizing, I discovered that the openings where the vent stacks for the black & gray water tanks go through the floor were not sealed either. I was able to slide a can of Great Stuff foam between the black water tank and the floor to spray the opening. I was able to reach the other one through the access hole on the tub, although it was difficult. I also spray some Great Stuff in the bottom corners of the slideout. Well, I'll find out as I monitor the mouse traps in the camper every few days this winter. It is really irritating that the factory didn't take 5 minutes to seal these openings!
johndeereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #2

Yikes, nice find with those missed areas. I'm actually going to winterize soon and one of the things we are doing is getting all the sheets/ towels/ bedding, etc OUT so it's much less cozy in there if they DO find their way in.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #3

We are using a product with a peppermint smell called Mouse Mix to deter mice from coming in the trailer.
Driver307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:11 AM   #4

Came across this product called Mouse free I sprayed it on today going to see how well it works it’s supposed to last one year if you trailer and two years if you are parked. Check it out at www.mousefree.com it had a nice peppermint smell.
Polesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Mice’s like the dark rather than the light. Covering an RV for the winter will also invite them. Sprays and little packages that prevent mice have to be replaced/respirated constintly.
Rogerjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #6

Mice

We've been using cotton balls and peppermint oil in little plastic cups, placed around the inside of the trailer for years. Never have a problem. This also helps with ants. About once a month I go in and add 10 or 12 drops to each cotton ball. We also have an Attack Wave Pestrepeller in there too. I buy the 16 oz canister of peppermint oil from Piping Rock when it's on sale - around $38. Once in a while you can get it for around $33.
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #7

Mice can squeeze through 1/4" small openings, they can not climb smooth verticals. Disconnect waterhose and powercord, place the landing jacks in 5 gal. buckets they are smooth so that mice can't climb up and build a 8" - 10" tall tub around the wheels from smooth material like tin (not wood or plywood) making sure the bottom is sealed. Don't lean a broom or anything against the trailer that the mice can use as bridge. I used this method for years on the farm after trying everything imaginable, never had a critter since.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Team

We have used peppermint oil for the past 10 yrs. No mice despite having them in garage 2ft away. Be sure you get essential oil of peppermint and not food grade peppermint. Also be sure to keep the oil off anything you do not want damaged ( floors, counters etc) and freshen it up every 5-6 weeks. Use old coffee cups or glasses as it will eat through plastic.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #9

I have had good luck with Fresh Cab. https://www.earthkind.com/product/fr...ent-repellent/
Most hardware stores & home centers carry it. But next season, I may try the cotton ball & peppermint oil.
I think Forest River did a thorough job on my camper with the Great Stuff foam.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

We just place packages of D-con around the unit (in spaces out of reach to humans or pets), knowing that unless we build a moat around the RV that some little critter is going to make it inside. A determined mouse can gnaw his way inside the camper. Once they eat the D-con, they get thirsty and go back outside to drink and pass away. We have a bigger issue with squirrels.

A few years back when we had a 33 foot Sandpiper TT, we took it to the shore for the weekend. When we tried to fire up the stove-top we found we had no gas. Upon further inspection, the squirrels ate through the propane hoses by the propane bottles at the front hitch. They have even eaten the engine wiring on my RAM 3500. Nasty critters. They need to eat some acorns since we have six acres of them.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #11

I use fresh cad also and moth balls under the trailer by the tires.
twosocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
We just place packages of D-con around the unit (in spaces out of reach to humans or pets), knowing that unless we build a moat around the RV that some little critter is going to make it inside. A determined mouse can gnaw his way inside the camper. Once they eat the D-con, they get thirsty and go back outside to drink and pass away. \
Please do not use poison. When they go back outside to drink they can be eaten by Eagles, Owls and Hawks and poison them.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #13

We have been incredibly lucky, touch wood! Never had mice in a trailer.

I used to use moth balls, but it was July before the smell completely dissipated! Now we have been using LOTS of Irish Spring soap in every drawer, compartment and in paper plates throughout the RV. In addition, I crawled through the trailer (as best I could) and stuffed every opening I could find with coarse steel wool. I have heard that the little buggers will chew away at foam, but They won't chew on steel wool as it irritates. I also ensure that I remove any thing they could possibly climb up to the trailer on. Power cords, hoses etc. Stabilizers are set on 10x10x8 blocks of wood, which are smooth sided and I think tough for them to climb. I will place some glue traps under the trailer and ensure that the grass in the storage area is trimmed short. Oh, and everything is taken out of the trailer so there are no 'smells' to attract them......

But if the little buggers are determined, I am not sure what can keep them out. Fingers crossed...………….
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #14

Original Bounce fabric softener sheets. We put them everywhere, especially where plumbing or electric runs through the pass through etc. Camper smells fresh all season after removal in Spring. Been working, although we may not have a huge mouse population to begin with.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #15

I've owned 3 TT of 2 different brands, and all were wide open to mice. I removed access panels, fusebox and drawers, used Great Stuff foam to seal openings for propane, electric wiring, drain pipes, vent pipes and any other opening. On one TT, the electric supply cord was permanently attached to the trailer. I keep my TT plugged in all the time. Mice went up the power cord and got in that way. I placed dryer sheets around the opening and had no further problem.
I hate meeses to pieces!
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #16

We have used peppermint oil as well & mice traps. Seems to have worked so far!
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #17

Our Class C sits outside under a carport on gravel, but in a forested area. I surround all the wheels with moth balls, working great, no mice. They do need to be replenished every month or so.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #18
Site Team

If you choose to use metal wool to fill holes, I suggest using stainless or copper vs steel wool as the steel product will rust.

TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #19

Any of these scented items will work because mice rely on smelling their predators. So keep the space scented up.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

I like the smooth sided approach around the tires, maybe fix a disc around power cord like a squirrel block you see on bird feeders.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote