Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If you have the means ($$) consider building your RV storage with an interior ceiling height and floor dimensions that would accommodate a half basketball court or indoor volley ball court. Could also be used for family BBQ's/Picnics.

If you ever sell your house/property it will be definitely an attraction to even people without RV's. I'm considering doing just that at my house, making the cover large enough for half court basketball although rather than the recommended 20-22 ft interior clearance I'll probably just go 18'. It will be a pole building with enough "decorations/siding" to satisfy the architectural board at my HOA. Hope to sell the idea as a multi purpose shelter for play and family picnics. I really only have to disguise it from the street and use a composition roof rather than the customary "tin". Overkill perhaps for my 25' trailer but looking to when I will sell the house, a bonus feature for a buyer with a passel of kids
We had a small TT (20 ft. - 8 ft. high) when we built the building (over 30 years ago) and only went with a 12' clearance, but, with a standard shingle roof. We have had a party or two in it, but, clearing it out is a real pain (store lawn equipment and a tractor and the tow vehicle), so the patio is the logical choice for a party. Building is 30x40, and accommodates our 35 ft Windjammer nicely. Clearance too short for a 5th wheel, though, so it is a good thing we like the standard pull behind trailer. Although the Windjammer fits nicely, I wish I had allowed more room on the barn door placement, so I could extend slide outs while TT is inside the building (only about 3 ft. clearance to the side wall). We just pull it out and park it in the drive when we have to extend the slide outs. That also puts it nearer to the house for packing/unpacking. This is probably our last big trailer, so the present barn size will be just fine for us. We also have a cement floor that is completely level. Don't forget electric hookups and a lot of LED lighting to work.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
Broken Toe

Unless you like scraping mold and milder off the sides and having it inside as well, DO NOT use the standard blue (or black or grey) tarp for covering. Anything that will not let moisture pass will just make your life a living hell. We see it all the time at our lake. People with beautiful campers (even some brand new ones) will break out the blue tarps as soon as the first leaf falls. Come spring, they are fighting green mold on the sides, and mildew throughout the whole camper. And once that stuff gets into the fiberglass, and interior walls, you will never be rid of it. It will come back no matter how you scrub it.

If you must cover, don't do it thinking you will prevent leaks. Your roof, if adequately maintained will do everything you will ever need to prevent leaks. Cover it only if you want to keep the sun or bird cra or tree sap off of it. And for that, a breathable cover is what you want. Not a plastic tarp.

Tim

PS. For some reason, the 'blue tarp' thing seems to be an old-guy disease. If we see a lake lot with everything wrapped in blue tarps (Camper, grills, lawnmowers, etc), I can guarantee it belongs to a 65+ year old gentleman. I don't know why. Its just the way it is.

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #23

Ours is 16 x 31,,, just right for us,,, have no plans to buy a bigger MH than our little 2500TS Sunseeker,,, I am guessing we will get all our money back,,, or our kids will when we are gone !!! If you are a lot younger than us and could someday buy a Bigger unit,,, you might think about building a larger one !!!
Ours is a very high quality built RV Port,,, 3 sides are complete closed,,, with clear plastic on the top gable of the back,,, for light,,, rear faces the West !!! Ancord to the Ground with 8 large legs set in concrete !!! Cost @ about 6K!!!
LOVE having Sunny out of the Sun-Rain-Wind & Snow !!! !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
PS. For some reason, the 'blue tarp' thing seems to be an old-guy disease. If we see a lake lot with everything wrapped in blue tarps (Camper, grills, lawnmowers, etc), I can guarantee it belongs to a 65+ year old gentleman. I don't know why. Its just the way it is.
Not just old timers. Some people look at the cost of a Tyvek or Sunbrella cover and get a huge cramp in their wallet. They end up with a Harbor Freight tarp that costs less than the shipping or sales tax on a "breathable" cover.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #25

too old

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh99 View Post
I also live in So Cal.

Personally, I can't see myself placing and removing a cover on my 22 foot trailer. I think at my advanced age, it would be such a hassle. I just keep it clean and waxed as much as I can. So far, in the four years I've owned it, the So Cal sun hasn't did much damage to it at all. Can't say the same for other RVs in the same storage yard. I've seen covers that last for less than a year.

Oh, speaking of covers, I also have a boat in the storage yard and have had cheap covers, plastic tarps and canvas tarps. None lasted for any length of time. I eventually opened up the wallet and bought a custom fit Sunbrella cover. Yes, it is heavy, but because of the custom fit, it is actually easier to put on that a regular tarp. It's a few years old now and shows no sign of wear or aging. In fact, my GF made tire covers for the boat and travel trailer out of the old Sunbrella cover that came with this boat and that cover sat in the desert for almost two decades! The tire covers are a little stained, but in better condition than tire covers that you can buy brand new.

One last tip I saw on You Tube is that if you think about placing a plastic tarp over your RV, don't, because most people will use cords of some sort to keep the tarp taught. That tight fit they say will wear out the edges of your roof!
Fortunately I am only 73, so hoisting my telescoping ladder up and unfolding the cover is no big deal. Maybe when I get old I may ask for help
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:19 PM   #26

Great cover !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Ours is 16 x 31,,, just right for us,,, have no plans to buy a bigger MH than our little 2500TS Sunseeker,,, I am guessing we will get all our money back,,, or our kids will when we are gone !!! If you are a lot younger than us and could someday buy a Bigger unit,,, you might think about building a larger one !!!
Ours is a very high quality built RV Port,,, 3 sides are complete closed,,, with clear plastic on the top gable of the back,,, for light,,, rear faces the West !!! Ancord to the Ground with 8 large legs set in concrete !!! Cost @ about 6K!!!
LOVE having Sunny out of the Sun-Rain-Wind & Snow !!! !!!

Sounds like a great cover. Your 2500TS is similar to our Sunseeker 2400R. Great size to get around easily. Super for traveling. Probably want more space if going and staying for a month or more in one place. Happy Camping !!
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaddDez View Post
Fortunately I am only 73, so hoisting my telescoping ladder up and unfolding the cover is no big deal. Maybe when I get old I may ask for help
Too funny !!!
You must be a lot younger 73 than I !!!
Spent over 40 years doing physical labor,,, showing the younger ones what a older man could do,,, now I am paying for it big time !!!

Keep up the good work old man !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I would avoid avoid shrink wrapping. A good RV cover should breathe and not trap moisture. Get a cover with panels you can unzip so you can enter and inspect your camper every so often throughout the winter. Buy a couple of large DamRid buckets and place them inside to keep humidity under control. Check them at least once per month and replace as necessary.

Good advice, trapped moisture will cause delamination. I tried the cheaper covers and they last about a year and a half here in the brutal FL sun. Bought a Sunbrella (material) from CalMark ($1050.00) that is two years old now and it is in great shape. I use a dehumidifier in cooler months, found DampRid does not remove enough moisture.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #29
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Good advice, trapped moisture will cause delamination. I tried the cheaper covers and they last about a year and a half here in the brutal FL sun. Bought a Sunbrella (material) from CalMark ($1050.00) that is two years old now and it is in great shape. I use a dehumidifier in cooler months, found DampRid does not remove enough moisture.
If I lived in FL, I would forego the cover in favor of a carport.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
If I lived in FL, I would forego the cover in favor of a carport.

So would I if I could put one on my property. Luckily I can keep the TT at my home.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Not just old timers. Some people look at the cost of a Tyvek or Sunbrella cover and get a huge cramp in their wallet. They end up with a Harbor Freight tarp that costs less than the shipping or sales tax on a "breathable" cover.
Yet they shelled out beaucoup bucks for their camper. Just like people buying a $50,000.00 boat and want to haul it down the highway on a $300.00 trailer.
2018 Chevy Spark
Formerly - 2007 Itasca Navion (Sold and gone)
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover