Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #1

Cover or not to cover rv for winter

I am new to the rv world and was wondering if I should cover my trailer with a tarp for the winter. Also, does anyone have any input in regards to the rv covers they sell aftremarket?
Jeff98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #2

If you keep it covered it will look as good in the spring as it did when you put it away. I never covered our first trailer and found spring cleaning a real chore. I purchased a cover with our last trailer and only had to clean it one spring; the spring after the winter I did not put on the cover.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #3

Here's what I found on Prime Time's web site:

Q- Should I cover my RV in the winter?
Storing your RV under a roof type cover or within a building when the RV will not be used for an extended period of time is always a good idea when this option is available to you.

When you must store your RV outdoors during periods of non-use you also have the option of using a temporary cover that is draped over the RV, then fastened onto the RV tightly. Many of these covers have a DuP ont TTY® top or roof panel and polypropylene side panels.

Many RV owners prefer to cover their RV’s with the drape-over style covers to protect the surfaces and finish from UV breakdown, dirt, leaves, birds and other airborne contaminates. On the other hand, many RV owners feel that to cover an RV with the drape-over style covers may lead to chafing and that chafing can lead to rubbing the decals off and other finishes. In our opinion we would rather have the RV covered than exposed to the outdoor elements.

FAQ Link: Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #4

I find covering does help with cleaning, But then again I Have a Giant Red Western Ceder in my back yard, and if I didnt cover my 5er it would be as Red as the Tree

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff98 View Post
I am new to the rv world and was wondering if I should cover my trailer with a tarp for the winter. Also, does anyone have any input in regards to the rv covers they sell aftremarket?
If you cover, I don't think a tarp is recommended. Us a breathable cover sold specifically for RVs.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #6

Definitely do not use a tarp as they do not breathe.
red dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
MrT

The fold-down campers I had for 12 years were always stored in an unheated building for 9 months of the year. They looked great over time. Our current TT is too large for the storage I'm willing to pay for--so it is outside in a secure tree-free zone. I'm going without a cover this year--and will update the forum in the spring. I got a lot of opinion and counsel from local RV owners & delears alike. As you can expect, it is a bit like religion & politics. Anyway--I opted to not risk any abrasion or retained moisture. We'll see if the UV has visible effects in the spring. I did put a very good coat of wax on the unit late in the season.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

I have a 17' Wolf Pup so it was easy for me to buy a 20" RV plastic tent. However in coastal BC, Canada we get a lot of rain and humid conditions in the winter. I place a humidity meter in the trailer and found that the dew point was reached too many time with resulting moisture on the walls etc.
So I bought two cheap timers to switch my small ceramic heater/fan combo and another small fan in the opposite corner. I have programed 2 timed cycles: 3 hrs on and 9 hrs off for the heater on the low setting.
The little fan I timed for a one hr. longer overlap than the heat cycle. Its keeps the trailer on average so far, at about 50F and the humidity around 60. The trailer is dry and relatively warm and I am happy with this cheap solution in our very humid coastal winter.
Blueback is offline   Reply With Quote