Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Some guy in back...

Covered rv storage near St. Charles, Mo?

We've just relocated to St. Charles from the SF Bay area and need to store our 35' TT. I've looked at the open yards in the area but wonder about covered storage? Are there any reasonable options in the area? Thanks!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #2

Welcome to the neighborhood. There is a place in Chesterfield that has enclosed storage, as well as in the city of St. Louis. I'm not familiar with any closer. Tons of outdoor storage though.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #3

ChateauV10, I am in St Peters, Mo. and there are slim pickings around here for covered storage.
I did a google search for indoor RV storage and found several in outlaying areas. It depends on the length of your RV. They book up early.
Good luck and welcome to the area.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
Some guy in back...

Covered Storage: Nice but maybe un-needed?

Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

I do see now that it's possible but covered storage is not widely available and it's pretty pricey when it is!

So, in Northern California I had always stored our Travel Trailers outside, uncovered. It seems pretty common here in the St. Peters/St. Charles area to do the same so I wonder if it's really not that big a deal to store outside?

I'd also like to ask a couple of local questions:

1. Where do you was wash your rig?
  2. What about mice & other beasties, are they a problem for rigs stored outside ?
  3. Any comments on the local FR dealers? (PM me if you'd rather). I had a "China Bomb" experience on the trip out and need a new fender skirt...
Thanks in Advance!

Tom
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Broken Toe

1. outside in my driveway

2. have never been a problem for me. I don't do anything other than make sure every scrap of food is out of the camper when closing it up for the winter.

3. all dealers are evil. It's just in their nature. (But I am particularly un-fond of the guy in Wentzville)

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

Cowracer may be "un-fond" of the guy in Wentzville - Bill Thomas Camper Sales - but we've had very good luck with them through 3 different trailers, and they are a Rockwood dealer.

As far as storing outside, haven't had a problem with any of ours. Be sure to remove ANYTHING that could remotely be construed as food for mice, and place Bounce dryer sheets throughout the trailer. It helps with both freshness and keeping the critters out.

We don't cover the trailer, but we do put covers over the tires to keep the sun off of them.

Welcome to Missouri, and good luck finding suitable storage.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:31 PM   #7

If you have room on your property to store your RV, you might want to check into getting a carport-like structure. It would keep the direct sun, rain, snow, etc. off it.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:43 PM   #8

You have been given some good advice about storing and keeping pest out. The only time we had mice in a motorhome was one we bought and I think the mice came with it. That was my fault for not knowing they were there when we bought the MH.
I am not sure if Complete in St Charles can order your parts or not, but they do maintenance and body work. You might asked here where you might order the parts if you can install them yourself. There are several service people around here that will come to you to do the work and can get the parts.
To replace your tires, I don't recommend going to the Truck Shop in O'Fallon that starts with the letter K. I ended up with a busted windshield and dead batteries that I believe were their fault. They also tried to stick about $300. more on the price of the tires and put on code dated tires that were almost a year old after I told them to make sure they were no older then a month or two old. This is my opinion of what happened.
When storing outside the only thing to worry about is the weather. I got hit with hail one year when my TT was new. I ended up taking the insurance money and paying down on what I owed on it. Cover the tires and check it monthly if you can, and you should be fine. Don't forget to spread the Bounce dryer sheets around inside.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #9

some fair grounds use their buildings in the winter and sell storage space
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #10

We are waiting on delivery of our 3rd fifth wheel from Bill Thomas Camper Sales and have been extremely happy with them.
We store our camper here on our property and have a car port over it, and we cover the tires.
It’s definitely a tough decision to make and not taken lightly. Have to go with your instincts, and pocket book. [emoji4]
EdandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

We will be buying from Bill Thomas when the time comes. It will either be a 2509S, or a Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. Based on other reviews here, and on the Imagine pages, Cowracer is in the minority but I'm sure there are plenty of bad experiences as that seems to be the way the industry runs.

Chateau, depending on your HOA covenants (if you have any) you might be able to park it in your yard. I know St. Peters to your west has an ordinance allowing it if it's fully fenced and not visible from the street, but our HOA does not allow it. I know I've seen several travel trailers and motor homes parked at homes within the city of St. Charles.

There are tons of lots off 370, I don't know if any of them have availability. The only issue I see with those is they're in the flood plain. As for washing, take it home, park it in your driveway and clean it up. We don't have water restriction laws here.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage