Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 08:31 AM   #61

When driving my car to Walmart, I don’t like dodging RV’s who have mistaken the parking lot as a campground. Lol
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #62

At 58' nose to tail, I've never found a Cracker Barrel that would accommodate my rig.
BigGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #63
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy87 View Post
At 58' nose to tail, I've never found a Cracker Barrel that would accommodate my rig.

60’-ish and same. The RV spots are too short for us.

Plus I don’t like the food!
Old 07-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I think that the numbers vary by "location" as some parts of our country have communities where "manners" are still important.

D W is probably correct if in "Middle America" and away from huge metro areas.

5picker is probably right if one looks at either "Coast", especially around the huge metro areas with people crammed together and horrendous traffic.

I'll share my observations of my own family, specifically grandchildren.

My daughter has three and my son, two. As the grandchildren were growing up my daughter was a stay-at-home mom until the last, my granddaughter was well into elementary school. They were taught basic manners and how to behave in public. In short, they were a pleasure to be around and as they grew the basics they learned at the beginning never changed. Granddaugher is now in second year of college, oldest grandson in that family is one year short of becoming a Doctor of Optometry. Middle grandson in that family is one year away from a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Now for my son's family. Whole different environment. Mom paid little attention to the kids and as long as they were "accounted for" that was fine with her. Kids were usually watching TV, playing video games, ate whenever and whatever they felt like. No set dinner hours and manners were unheard of. IF there was a sit down dinner at their house it was a free-for-all. The old-fashioned "wait until everyone was served before starting" didn't exist. In fact if you were a guest at dinner you were lucky if one of the kids wasn't already grabbing "seconds" before the dishes made it to you or had taken far more than their share, leaving little for those on down the line.

One of my Grandson's in that family, now in his late 20's has experienced jail but to date has escaped any felony charges. His older brother has avoided jail but has entered and exited at least 5 different careers since he graduated from High School 12 years ago. Oh yeah, has told his dad he really doesn't want to associate with him but that was AFTER "Dad" paid for his college degree. Needless to say the turmoil in the family led to a divorce, which their mom has repeated since. Son? Still single.

That's just in my family so now just figure out which family represents the largest portion of today's society today. 60% are well mannered and appear to be successful (at least so far). 40% were never taught the basics of getting along in society and their future is at best, uncertain.

45-50 years from now which ones do you think will be retired and enjoying life and which ones do you think will end up being cared for by the government?

Does all this make me a "Grumpy Old Man"? Not particularly but I tend to tell it like I see it. I think I'm more of a "Realist" and don't own any rose colored glasses.

Sad part is how many of the wayward ones will be in elected office.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #65
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I'm not saying it wouldn't happen in Western Maryland, but I would like to think we're more considerate out here than in the Baltimore/DC area. Go west across Sidling Mountain and things are a bit different. Go west across Big Savage and it's A LOT different! [emoji41]
I go past our Cracker Barrel almost every day. I'll have to take notice now of who does and who doesn't park in the RV spots.
I've taken notice from the above post until today at the Cracker Barrel I pass 2 times a day in LaVale, MD and I'm glad to say I have seen only touring motor coaches, a pickup w/utility trailer and RV's in the designated RV spots.

Doesn't prove we are more considerate out here, but it's a start.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #66

Sorry DA Grinch but I personally have seen more cars than RV's parked there when I go past. Usually with WV or PA tags.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #67
DW's 401(k) Plan

Oh well, sounds like a mixture of those that are considerate and those who park anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
Sorry DA Grinch but I personally have seen more cars than RV's parked there when I go past. Usually with WV or PA tags.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
This has been an eye-opener for me. Never in a million years (yes I’m really that old) have I ever thought to not fill up at a gas pump that also has diesel. Never woulda thunk about it.
Nor me. But I live in an area where use of diesel is the exception and it's almost never occupied.

I do try to pull forward to make other pumps accessible. That's partly in self-defense, to prevent idiots from pulling in from the opposite end and blocking me in.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I have an excuse for being a grumpy old man, I'm a retired cop and dealt with the 5% trouble makers for 34 yrs.
Thanks for having made the sacrifices that involves. Don't let it determine your attitude toward, or assumptions about, the other 95%.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Amazing how often cars are parked in the RV spots. This photo is from Stevensville, MD this morning. There was a class A with toad that was forced to to take up a bunch of car spots.

Went on the web to upload the photo.

I drive chartered motor coach and we deal with this as well. We're not so nice, we will block them in as those spaces are clearly marked BUS/RV.
I was scheduled to take a group to a Cracker Barrel one day and the first thing I asked was if they knew we were coming with a bus. While I was waiting for the group to come out I observed several cars parking alongside me in the empty spaces. THEY WERE EMPLOYEES!!!!!!!!
I think someone, or many someones, should start writing Cracker Barrel corporate. I can carry 56 people on my coach, that's a lot of lost revenue if I can't find parking.
Jeanne983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #71

Their grits are the worst. Yuk![emoji1785]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Yeah not a bad breakfast but they don't have omelettes
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #72

I completely agree. I am not a grandpa yet but my daughter is super respectful and sweet and have never been told other wise. She is 10 and she has more common sense and cares for others more than most adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm sorry for whatever experiences you have had that caused your opinion.
Do I run into rude, younger folks, sure, but then, there have always been rude, thoughtless people. I tend to run into more older folks who are rude.
I am very proud of my kids, and my grandkids (now teenagers). We get comments all the time about how kind and respectful they are. And their friends are also.
I try really hard to not fall into the grumpy old man category who thinks the world has gone to crap.
If my grandkids are indicative of the future, it's going to be great!
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #73
KnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Amazing how often cars are parked in the RV spots. This photo is from Stevensville, MD this morning. There was a class A with toad that was forced to to take up a bunch of car spots.

Went on the web to upload the photo.

Probably those are employees vehicles. People are way lazy, they want to park right in front of the door.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #74

Often we will find ourselves pulling up to the only diesel pump at a service station, and find a gas-burning vehicle blocking the pump with no driver in site. This despite the fact that there are dozen or more gas pumps with no vehicle nearby. At one fuel stop, while waiting for the driver of the offending vehicle to emerge, my wife got so frustrated she went in to see the cashier and found that the driver of the vehicle, and his whole family, had simply gone into the adjoining restaurant for breakfast!! Some people are simply clueless......and they have children who will grow up with the same sense of clueless selfishness!!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #75

I consistently see bumper sticker and signs to watch out for motorcycles...there needs to be one that states "Watch and be kind to RV's" Just say'n!
Old 07-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #76

I wouldn’t hesitate to leave a note on each of their windshields. Have done it before, usually not a polite note.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:40 PM   #77

Being a woman and not ever noticing the diesel on just the outside of gas station lanes, you have definitely taught me something I didn’t know. I will try and get in the center from now on. Thanks for the tip. Sure my husband knows this. We have a travel trailer so not a problem.
SandyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNick View Post
Being a woman and not ever noticing the diesel on just the outside of gas station lanes, you have definitely taught me something I didn’t know. I will try and get in the center from now on. Thanks for the tip. Sure my husband knows this. We have a travel trailer so not a problem.
Most usually don't know till they own a diesel. You're ahead of the curve. Thanks.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #79

The last time we stopped at a CB we had a good experience. We got there past the supper rush. Parked at the back of the store with our door to the grass for the pups. Went inside and eat a pretty good dinner. We asked the waitress to ask the manager if it was okay to stay overnight. She came back and told us it was fine with him. When we got ready to get our bill and head to the motorhome, she informed us that our dinner had been paid for. It was for three adults.
And then gave us $75 in gift cards for a later time. Never before or after have we been treated that wonderfully. But it does happen sometimes.
We do try to be courteous as we can. But sometimes rude people don’t make it easy!!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
But I find the older I get, the less these type of trivialities bother me.
The older I get the more they bother me. Lol
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, parking