Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Rui

Crazy Hack or it just might work?

Hello FR friends...

I had a crazy thought and wondered if anyone's done the same.... bear with me... I'm new to the trailer world so am not sure what is do-able.... But I am pretty handy with plenty of outdoor experience...so here goes....

Winterizing the trailer.
Trailer is in trailer-park, so it'll be outdoors for the winter - Muskoka, Ontario area.
I intend on purchasing a cover for it. I've researched pro's and con's etc...

Here's my idea for a winter protection hack....
Foam tiles - like the ones used for gym/garage/kids' floors. 2x2 squares...
On rooftop, placed only, not glued or anything like that.... Under the cover.

I figure since the squares interlock, they'll support each other and be reasonably stable whilst UNDER the cover, especially if I add a couple of extra straps over top of the cover....

My strategy is to protect the roof from falling debris, branches, items that could poke a whole if fallen on rooftop...

Thoughts? Mold issues? Am I insane?
Rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #2

Sounds perfectly logical to me for piece of mind.
The mold issue might be something to look at, the covers need to breath so its not water tight. You might want to put a 1"x1"x8" strip of wood under the foam to let air flow

So its Roof, 1x1, Foam, Cover
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30 [/B]
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

Seems like it would be heavy.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #4
Rui

hmmmm good food for thought.

I considered the weight....but figured the foam pads spread out over the area wouldn't be such a load....
I like the option of 1"x1" for breathing.... maybe a non-wood option might be available... Don't think it could be PVC as it would roll around...
Old 09-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui View Post
hmmmm good food for thought.

I considered the weight....but figured the foam pads spread out over the area wouldn't be such a load....
I like the option of 1"x1" for breathing.... maybe a non-wood option might be available... Don't think it could be PVC as it would roll around...

When I replaced my furnace, the new one had a coarse plastic filter in front of the blower. I've replaced that with the replaceable filters. Anyway, what was in the furnace was strong enough that you could walk on it and in popped back open. I suspect that if you could get enough of that material, it would make a great ventilation layer under the pads. I've seen similar stuff used as pond filter media. When used in ponds, I think the purpose is to provide a home for beneficial bacteria to live. The bacteria breaks down fish urine and keeps nitrogen levels low. The coarse version should provide good air circulation. Thinking about it this stuff might do a good enough job of preventing the punctures you are worried about.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #6

I would be concerned about moisture getting between the tiles and the roof. The cover is most likely breathable, but that won't stop moisture under the tiles causing problems.
John 2019 SS 3010DSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I seriously doubt a 1" thick foam tile will stop a branch that is big enough to do damage, from coming through your roof. (especially if the limb hits on end)

What will you do if the branch falls and misses the roof by 2" but spears the side?

This is what insurance is for.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Rui

Hey Sam....

Again....great food for thought....will do a little research on that.

Thanks-a-bunch
Old 09-01-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
Rui

All valid points..... It's understood - spearing n large objects notwithstanding....
Old 09-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #10
Rui

Thanks,

Yup... which is why I'd need a lightweight solution to allow air movement....
Old 09-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #11

Personally I wouldn’t do this, but you could use pool noodles or foam pipe wrap for under the pads.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:

Here's my idea for a winter protection hack....
Foam tiles - like the ones used for gym/garage/kids' floors. 2x2 squares...
On rooftop, placed only, not glued or anything like that.... Under the cover.

I figure since the squares interlock, they'll support each other and be reasonably stable whilst UNDER the cover, especially if I add a couple of extra straps over top of the cover....

My strategy is to protect the roof from falling debris, branches, items that could poke a whole if fallen on rooftop...

Thoughts? Mold issues? Am I insane?

Seems like a lot more extra work, effort, money, and potential areas for problems for the intended use and justification than it’s worth. Is there that much of a worry and potential for falling branches, debris, and miscellaneous that could fall on top of the roof with enough force to damage it? Plus I think putting the squares on top and then trying to put the cover on would lead to the squares moving around from the cover being drug across them, and just in general being a huge PITA.

Would a carport garage work for you? That way you wouldn’t have to get a cover, plus the TT would still be covered and protected and still be accessible.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
Rui

Thanks all...

OK.... so now how do I close this post and let people get on with their lives...LOL?
Old 09-01-2021, 03:52 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks all...

OK.... so now how do I close this post and let people get on with their lives...LOL?
You can't and folks will post to it when it pops up in their "inbox" regardless because they won't read the entire thread before posting.

You are going to live with this the rest of your life!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=98
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #15
Site Team

In addition to all the other reasons. Unless you were sure to add them well after it got cold and remove them well before it got warm, one or two warm blue sky days could cause them to stick to the roof.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #16

The biggest failure points for a cover are the corners, and any other protruding surfaces. How is the wind where your RV is stored? Billowing covers move around and cause wear to not only the cover, but the surfaces it rubs on. You're definitely on the right track with foam padding, but you may want to use something to stop the cover from billowing, such as tires etc. The extra straps idea is also a good thing. Good luck. Covers can be a real PITA.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
Seems like a lot more extra work, effort, money, and potential areas for problems for the intended use and justification than it’s worth. Is there that much of a worry and potential for falling branches, debris, and miscellaneous that could fall on top of the roof with enough force to damage it? Plus I think putting the squares on top and then trying to put the cover on would lead to the squares moving around from the cover being drug across them, and just in general being a huge PITA.

Would a carport garage work for you? That way you wouldn’t have to get a cover, plus the TT would still be covered and protected and still be accessible.
X2.

You're overthinking it and it's way more trouble than it's worth. Just make sure your insurance is paid up and leave it at that.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #18

You may want to try "Wet it forget it " I never tried it on a roof but it works great on the awning .... After I cleaned it I just sprayed this stuff on it and left it for about 2 months ... https://www.amazon.com/Forget-Mildew...99808241&psc=1..... There may be a difference I think I used this one ... no damage to the awning and it has stayed clean ... https://www.amazon.com/Forget-Outdoo..._t1_B078K3Q273
2013 Honda F6B
530 Watts Solar roof Mt, 2000 watt Sine Wave Inverter Goodyear Endurance
89 days camped 2019, 75 days in 2020, 72 days 2021
Bob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #19

[QUOTE=Rui;2627316]Hello FR friends...
I use 1 1/2inch white plastic pipes, ( Home Depot) make them in a hoops with some horizontal, cross braces, which you just zip tie. any part that will touch the unit, I use foam pipe insulation. I drive pieces of rebar in the ground to slide the pipes over. and run some smaller white pipes horizontally at the base. Working great for the last couple of years, we are in BC so yes like you, lots of snow.
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #20

If I was going to spend the money on a cover for my trailer, I would invest in a pole barn type frame with a tarp over it. That way the trailer will still get air circulation and have affordable year round protection.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote