Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #21

Trip

I would put a couple of gallons of water in the black water tank to start W/ a scoop of something like Happy Camper. Prevents building a "cone" in the tank as stuff drys.
I also suggest stopping at a campsite w/ services every 3 days to refill water, dump and charge batteries.Many of the state parks are requiring you to make reservations on line. The refrigerator uses very little propane, the furnace will use propane up in several days, depending on the weather and size of your propane tanks. The electricity for the furnace fan would be the biggest power drain and concern, especially w/ 1 battery. You only want to bring the battery down to half charge w/o shortening the life of the battery.
Enjoy your trip.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle_e View Post
Download the Pilot/FlyingJ app. You can search and sort stations that have RV fuel lanes equipped with dump and fill right at the fuel pumps.

You don't have you don't have to use your toilet exclusively. Along the way use the state rest areas and commercial travel plazas for the call of nature. There will be ice and 20 pound tanks of propane available. Purchase a shower at

a truck stop. there will be plenty of restaurants that will deliver it to your vehicle aka the drive-thru. Hope this helps.
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by debit View Post
I think I would carry a quiet Honda 2000 inverter generator for an emergency source of power. Even using it one hour during the day could do wonders if your battery is low.
FWIW, Honda is a very good generator. With that said, if you've been following this or other RV sites, the Champion and Predator inverter generators are also getting good reviews. Predator is from Harbor Freight. Both have substantially lower prices.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #24

Not sure why you are traveling but with the way things are right now I would be staying home. Truck stops, gas stations and rest areas are going to be a crap shoot for exposure in some parts of the country that are hit the worst.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #25

Why not spend a few bucks at RV Parks with power, water and sewer and your problems are solved.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #26
SJB

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post

MA--->UT

4'ish full travel days would prob get it done, but I'd rather not ruin myself. I'm not on a fixed schedule & 6-8hr drive times would be less taxing then 10-12hr grinds.

Do you plan to drive through Colorado on your way? If yes, be cautious of the weather on I-70 through Colorado. It can be winter throughout May in the mountains of Colorado. The chain law can go into effect during spring storms. Does your truck have 4-wheel drive?

We drive 2,100 miles from the mountains of Colorado to Boston several times a year and WITHOUT towing a trailer it takes us at least 3 - 3 1/2 days with two drivers. It's a long drive made longer if you run into a spring snow storm.

Good luck and safe travels!
Old 03-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJB View Post
Do you plan to drive through Colorado on your way?
Will likely go I80 which is also prone to weather closures this time of year. Fingers crossed...
Old 03-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I agree. We use the propane side of our fridge all the time, especially while traveling.
I've yet to travel further than 3-5hrs at a clip with the rig, so the fridge has always maintained without operation. A lot of mixed reviews & am uncertain about running LP while driving.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Groceries are going to be a problem. Stores are being hit pretty hard, all across the nation. I haven't seen a roll of TP in over a week now.
Our Kroger store in Troy, Ohio is stocked again - even TP. Maybe the craziness is over.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Not sure why you are traveling but with the way things are right now I would be staying home. Truck stops, gas stations and rest areas are going to be a crap shoot for exposure in some parts of the country that are hit the worst.
Work related. Not betting on having a ton of resources on the road, which is what prompted me to 'ask the experts' here.

Limiting exposure is certainly a priority.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Why not spend a few bucks at RV Parks with power, water and sewer and your problems are solved.

Hit or miss this time of year. Still winter in some parts & parks may or may not be operational due to weather & plague.

I did locate a couple park possibilities in Nebraska just off the interstate.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #32

Hi, Just another day in Paradise. If you don't want to dump black water, put a trash bag in your toilet and some kitty litter and you can through it in the trash can. Might want to drop down to I-70 for better weather. 85 in Missouri today....
Fred
2020 F-150 3.5 2nd Gen
catcottf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #33

If you choose to use ice in the fridge put it into large zip lock bags. We do this when we set out to take out the trailer as it is in storage. It works well and is a no mess solution.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #34

I agree with using the fridge on propane and I'd also use the hot water tank since you will be washing your hands a lot. When traveling like you are, I am a fan of MRE's and Mountain House freeze dried foods. Ten minutes from the time you heat or add hot water and the meal is ready. In the case of Mtn House, there's enough for tomorrow too. I take a flat of bottled water in the pickup to complement the 5 - 6 gal I put in the fresh water tank, now that hand washing more often is a must I'd probably double that amount of water in the FW tank. Safe travels and enjoy the trip.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:14 AM   #35

Cross country with travel trailer

Why do so many people think an rv is inoperable unless it is parked in a full service campground? Stevenc, Fill your fresh water tank, turn on your fridge and hit the road. When you want to eat pull over and make lunch. Use the toilet and even take a shower if you want. Your trailer has all the amenities for a reason, use them.
2013 Rockwood Ultralite 2604WS
EnjoyingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy R View Post
You don't have you don't have to use your toilet exclusively. Along the way use the state rest areas and commercial travel plazas for the call of nature. There will be ice and 20 pound tanks of propane available. Purchase a shower at

a truck stop. there will be plenty of restaurants that will deliver it to your vehicle aka the drive-thru. Hope this helps.
A lot of rest areas are closed and I'd much rather be self-contained and have as little interaction with the public as possible during the current situation. I believe being self-contained was important to the OP for just that reason. Two 20 lb tanks should be more than enough propane to make it cross country. No need for ice. The fridge will stay cold even if the propane is turned off while driving since OP is planning short days.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingLife View Post
Why do so many people think an rv is inoperable unless it is parked in a full service campground? Stevenc, Fill your fresh water tank, turn on your fridge and hit the road. When you want to eat pull over and make lunch. Use the toilet and even take a shower if you want. Your trailer has all the amenities for a reason, use them.
^^^ This. This is exactly what I would do.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post

A lot of parks are closed, especially for transients.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #39

Pretty soon, if you put everything suggested in that thing, you wont' have any room to walk from one end to the other.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Pretty soon, if you put everything suggested in that thing, you wont' have any room to walk from one end to the other.
Right?!

I should have known better than to leave such a vague initial post.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer