Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingLife View Post
Why do so many people think an rv is inoperable unless it is parked in a full service campground?
Couldn't be further from my train of thought. We have used the rig extensively for boondocking.

Yes, I plan to use it as my hotel room for the trip as much as possible. My fault for not taking the time to ask specific q's in my initial post.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
My wife and I travel longer than that without hook ups all the time. It should not be a problem. Doesn't your TT have a propane refrigerator? Why reinvent everything? Use the TT as it is designed and enjoy the trip. I work part time in a c-store and we will let people fill their fresh water tank if they ask. Be polite, it pays.
Many of the newer trailers have 12 volt only refrigerators.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
The OP has a Geo Pro TT, which comes with a RV propane/electric 2-way fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #44

Quote:
Standard on my KZ is a 120 volt only fridge. I snagged one of the few that has propane/120 volt. 12 volt is the most inefficient setup there is. I only see 12 volt on those rigs that have a portable cooler-style fridge.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #45

Quote:
I snagged one of the few that has propane/120 volt. 12 volt is the most inefficient setup there is. I only see 12 volt on those rigs that have a portable cooler-style fridge.
a propane fridge still needs 12VDC to run it's circuitry, so you cannot run your fridge on propane without 12V

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #46

Quote:
I think you may have 120 volt confused with 12 Volt. Personally Ive never seen a 12 volt only system. I have seen

1. 3 way which are 120 Volt, Gas and 12 Volt
2, 2 way Which are 120 Volt & Gas
3. 120 volt only (like in your house)

The only 12 volt only Ive seen are small portable reefers like the Coleman or Igloo
Old 03-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #47
Site Team

There are a number of RVs coming with 12v DC only fridges, Everchill being the best known. Here's a link to a Everchill 10 cu ft fridge/freezer that's quite popular.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Refriger...24-000119.html

They've been around for 2-3 years now.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #48

For the sake of it all, don’t use a big buddy heater in your camper when you have a working furnace.
In your 19FBS is the same furnace as I had in my rpod.
I would go a week with a single battery running the furnace at night on some quite cool nights.
You are not going to burn through a 20lb tank of propane in 4 nights let alone your TT comes equipped with dual tanks.
In the last 4 years using my rpod in Saskatchewan, my 20 lb tank has lasted the SEASON, including a last trip to the lake after snow to cut firewood.

You’ll be fine, and like someone else said, use your camper like it was meant to.
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
For the sake of it all, don’t use a big buddy heater in your camper when you have a working furnace.
Umm, I've no intention to? Stock furnace works great!

The level of thread derailment, misinterpretation, incomprehension & conceited overspeak are something to behold in these forums.

Perhaps too much quarantine & not enough fresh air. Cheers all & happy weekend
Old 03-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
a propane fridge still needs 12VDC to run it's circuitry, so you cannot run your fridge on propane without 12V
Depends on what kind of fridge you have. The Norcold in my 2020 KZ requires no electricity whatsoever to run on propane. Just push the propane knob down and hold, while simultaneously pushing the striker button a few times until it fires up. The Dometic in my Freedom Express does require 12 volt power to run off of propane.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #51

I freeze filtered water in hard plastic gallon ice jugs, two of those in the refrigerator don't melt completely for several days. Yes, they sweat a little but my plastic organizer trays underneath catch most of that. If nothing else they will save you initial cool down energy. I also haul several more of those unfrozen under the dinette bench. We don't ever use the FW tanks for drinking or cooking or even dog water. I still sanitize the FW tank in the spring anyways.
I think using your TT for MUST cross country travel right now is smart. Download the following apps on your phone:
Waze - for traffic & road conditions
Gas Buddy - gas prices & locations around you.
Pilot & Flying J apps - location & prices. Most have dump station available for a price. You can also find showers.
Get a box of latex gloves, keep them in the truck with you and get used to having extras in your pocket. Get in the habit of using them at the pump.
Boomerweps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Groceries are going to be a problem. Stores are being hit pretty hard, all across the nation. I haven't seen a roll of TP in over a week now.
As long as you don’t eat TP there are no food issues in the stores. And there is no reason to expect an issue.

Even the TP hoarding will end...with a huge surplus. The TP factories are essential. I have no idea why people focused on TP.
IDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
I've yet to travel further than 3-5hrs at a clip with the rig, so the fridge has always maintained without operation. A lot of mixed reviews & am uncertain about running LP while driving.
As long as it doesn’t blow out there is no issue leaving propane fridge on with a trailer while driving as long as you avoid under river tunnels and ferrys.

With a motorhome some might want to use more caution and turn it off while fueling if the fill cap is near the fridge.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #54

Get the App US Public Campgrounds. Many are free. All are modest compared to commercial RV parks. Some are much nicer.

I like County Fairgrounds.

Also check boondockerswelcome.com
Old 04-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #55

Well travel if you must. I would run the fridge on propane. Rather than Ice, freeze water bottles if you don't run propane. As they thaw you can drink them. Gallon jugs work as well.

I would not count on the furnace running all night without turning it down significantly if you only have one battery. Sleeping bags is the best idea. If you need a lot of heat get a Mr buddy heater to warm up in the AM. It runs on small tanks for a few hours at a time amd safe inside with low oxygen shut off. You would also be suprised at how much heat a candle under a clay pot produces...careful with either of those. Use a headlamp rather than lights is my prefrence to save more power.

Tanks will depend on your usage. Dumping once halfway through is a good idea. Some rest stops have dump stations assuming they are open. If not most campgrounds will let you dump for a fee assuming they are open as well. You could always pay for a full hook up site at a private CG one night dump and refill as needed on the way. This would also allow you to refreeze any water bottles if you go that route.

Good luck and stay safe.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #56

Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
So I hate to be that person but most States have a shelter in place order till April 30. By you traveling around you are taking a chance of getting the virus and spreading it. I would recommend you postpone any travel until the travel order is lifted. Not only would you be putting your life in danger but other people as well. I couldn’t live with myself if I new I was responsible for someone’s death.
dduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:34 PM   #57

More and more states are shutting down all parks to camping. Nebraska shut down all state parks and Recreation areas to any camping and will be re-evaluated after May 1st.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan View Post
So I hate to be that person but most States have a shelter in place order till April 30. By you traveling around you are taking a chance of getting the virus and spreading it. I would recommend you postpone any travel until the travel order is lifted. Not only would you be putting your life in danger but other people as well. I couldn’t live with myself if I new I was responsible for someone’s death.
Then don’t be that person. Your thinking is fundamentally flawed. Travel in an RV can be better than being at home. Especially if home is an apartment and especially if it has an elevator.

Thankfully you don’t get to make such decisions for others in the USA.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #59
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Evening all,

I will be be driving cross country soon & towing the Geo Pro 19FBS. I would appreciate any insight in terms of using the RV as my overnight for likely 4-5 days. Given the current state of affairs, the more self-contained the better.

Unsure about navigating fresh, grey & black tanks. Weight is not an issue in terms of towing (F150), but I have never used the RV in this fashion (vs. show up @ site, use, dump upon leaving). I will be solo, so usage minimal. Wondering about fresh water fill level. I am able to dump at final destination at a later date.

Hoping to hit the Walmarts, Cabelas, Cracker Barrels of the world for overnight parking.

Thinking about using ice in the fridge vs bringing a cooler? Travel food? Will likely only have use of LP stovetop, so soups etc seem in order with minimal cleanup.

Hoping weather is cooperative to allow solar to maintain as I will likely need furnace overnight.

Don't mean to be vague, but appreciate any pro tips...

Thanks & stay safe all
I have a very similar TT and truck combo. I would recommend drilling a small hole in the fresh water tank cross member support tabs (sticking down through the slots in the main supports) and insert a safety pin through the hole (see red arrows in the photo below). This will enable you to travel with plenty of water in the fresh water tank while reducing the risk of the supports popping out of the main supports. When boondocking we do dishes once at the end of the day to save water. Top off your spare tire. Use a plastic shopping bag to grab gas pump handles and toss right away. Bring plenty of handi wipes. Avoid contact with others. Have paperwork available to show state troopers why you're traveling through states that are on lock down. By day two or three you'll be an expert on all of this.

Safe travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040447.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	226157  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #60

I know many won't agree with me but unless it's a life or death situation that one must travel, I have to agree with DDuncan's comment, and we live in a high-rise with an elevator.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer