Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Cross country w/travel trailer

Evening all,

I will be be driving cross country soon & towing the Geo Pro 19FBS. I would appreciate any insight in terms of using the RV as my overnight for likely 4-5 days. Given the current state of affairs, the more self-contained the better.

Unsure about navigating fresh, grey & black tanks. Weight is not an issue in terms of towing (F150), but I have never used the RV in this fashion (vs. show up @ site, use, dump upon leaving). I will be solo, so usage minimal. Wondering about fresh water fill level. I am able to dump at final destination at a later date.

Hoping to hit the Walmarts, Cabelas, Cracker Barrels of the world for overnight parking.

Thinking about using ice in the fridge vs bringing a cooler? Travel food? Will likely only have use of LP stovetop, so soups etc seem in order with minimal cleanup.

Hoping weather is cooperative to allow solar to maintain as I will likely need furnace overnight.

Don't mean to be vague, but appreciate any pro tips...

Thanks & stay safe all
Old 03-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Most RV fridges are not set up to handle ice as they are not watertight and do not have a low point drain. I may not travel with a full water tank but rather 2/3 and refresh periodically. Maybe plan a stop at a stat park half way to dump and refill tanks.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #3

When you say 'cross country', what states will you be passing through? How many days do you anticpate being on the road?
Old 03-25-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

4-5 days in a self contained trailer shouldn't be a problem.

Fill the water tank before leaving and have holding tanks empty.
I wouldn't want to count on water and dump stations being readily available "in these times".

Since you will be driving every day the tow vehicle WILL provide some charge to the batteries. Unless you use a lot of power at night for TV, lots of lights, there should be plenty for the furnace and recharging will replace all or most the next day of driving.

Yes, the vehicle charge line won't produce high current flow into the battery but it will be continuous while driving. If it only provides 5 amp of charge current (as a guess) that will amount to 40+ amp hours during a day's drive. That's all I use in a 24 hour period of boondocking, watching TV, running furnace, fans, lights, and charging accessories.

A tip, since the furnace is a large current draw at night, you might want to turn the night time temp down to 55-60 degrees and use a sleeping bag on top of regular bedding.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Most RV fridges are not set up to handle ice as they are not watertight and do not have a low point drain.
Doh. Valid point that I did not initially consider, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
When you say 'cross country', what states will you be passing through? How many days do you anticpate being on the road?
MA--->UT

4'ish full travel days would prob get it done, but I'd rather not ruin myself. I'm not on a fixed schedule & 6-8hr drive times would be less taxing then 10-12hr grinds.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #6

The truck stops are staying open and Loves offer a dump station for $10. The others may also.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:17 PM   #7

My wife and I travel longer than that without hook ups all the time. It should not be a problem. Doesn't your TT have a propane refrigerator? Why reinvent everything? Use the TT as it is designed and enjoy the trip. I work part time in a c-store and we will let people fill their fresh water tank if they ask. Be polite, it pays.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #8

I think I would carry a quiet Honda 2000 inverter generator for an emergency source of power. Even using it one hour during the day could do wonders if your battery is low.

We always carry extra 5 gallon water jugs also for emergency use.
As one person also wrote, I'd skip using the furnace and get into the bedroll with covers on top. We have used one lighted candle, vented, of course, for night heat.
We use an ice cooler that is completely covered with material that is used to insulate heating ducks. (duck taped together) We add a plank of 2" insulation under the cover. This would last for your entire trip.

Ram 2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #9

Make certain that your propane tanks are full and maybe carry a spare in your truck if you think you'll be using the furnace. Furnaces use lots of propane and furnace fans use electricity. You might need to carry a sleeping bag.
Refrigerators use vey little propane, so you should be able to leave that refrigerator on with no problems. Perhaps carry a small cooler for drinks during the day.

You don't have to limit yourself to soups unless you want to. We've fried steaks in a skillet on the stove and served with fried potatoes, a salad and bread.

How much water you carry will depend on what you think you'll use. Personally, we don't like to carry a lot of water due to the weight, but we take very short showers and drink bottled water.
Since it's only you, you probably won't need to dump grey and black water on the way, but Loves and Pilot usually have dump stations.

Sounds like you've got a good timeline and aren't going to get overtired.
Safe Journey.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:28 PM   #10

Groceries are going to be a problem. Stores are being hit pretty hard, all across the nation. I haven't seen a roll of TP in over a week now.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Groceries are going to be a problem. Stores are being hit pretty hard, all across the nation. I haven't seen a roll of TP in over a week now.
Good point. Definitely carry enough food to last your entire journey (and rv TP)
Old 03-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #12

Quote:
You must be hard to be around...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #13

I have done this in the past... get a regular cooler, line it with some foam insulation from HDepot ( xtra on the bottom), then get some dry ice. Freeze chili, hot dog stew, soup, whatever, into portions in zip lock freezer bags and store in the cooler. Pull out what you are going to eat for the next day that night, and store in refrigerator along with drinks, pudding cups, veggies, etc.

As the meal bag thaws in the fridge it will keep the other things in the fridge cool. Depending on the amount of dry ice and outside temps the dry ice might last 3-4 days. Meanwhile you have heat and eat bag meals using just a pot of water and stove. I would supplement your fresh water tank with gallon jugs of spring water that usually cost about 80 cents at Walmart for drinking/cooking/coffee. Buy as you go along.

Finally, although some might disagree, I use a Big Buddy heater in my trailer for heat when electric is not available. Keep a ceiling vent partly open and you will be fine. And good luck to you.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #14

Quote:
I totally forgot about my RV toilet paper stash! 20 rolls in the garage and probably another 10 in the trailer.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I totally forgot about my RV toilet paper stash! 20 rolls in the garage and probably another 10 in the trailer.
Sshhhhh….
Good lord man, don't tell everyone!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #16

Download the Pilot/FlyingJ app. You can search and sort stations that have RV fuel lanes equipped with dump and fill right at the fuel pumps.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #17

I don't understand! Why don't you use your refrigerator? You have propane. Also, you have a 36 gallon water tank. Fill it half way and carry a 5 gal water can and funnel with you in case you need more. Toilet tank seems adequate for one person.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #18

Quote:

DW scored a 6 roll super mega roll pack today at our regular store when she shopped - after noon. Also general foods, meat and chicken are back in regular supply. Seems the rush is tapering off and stores are starting to get back to normal stock levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

I'd keep your address secret!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
I don't understand! Why don't you use your refrigerator? You have propane. Also, you have a 36 gallon water tank. Fill it half way and carry a 5 gal water can and funnel with you in case you need more. Toilet tank seems adequate for one person.
I agree. We use the propane side of our fridge all the time, especially while traveling.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #20

QUOTE] I haven't seen a roll of TP in over a week now.[/QUOTE]

I'll need more than 6 feet of distance between us
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer