Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #21
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
When we purchased our 2016 Rockwood it had Maxxis tires. I read all the "China Bomb" threads and took them seriously. I have a TST507 TPMS. After 2 years I noticed dry rot on one tire so I replaced them all with LR E Goodyear Endurance tires. I also added high pressure stems. I run them at 65PSI and they have held the same air pressure over several thousand miles. So far they are running great.

Marty
Marty, did you buy your Rockwood used? To my knowledge, the factory has never installed Maxxis tires.

I had 2-year old Maxxis M8008 tires on our TT but found a good deal on a 5er late last year so we’ve traded it in on a new 5er. The 5er has Castle Rock tires. I wanted to have the dealer swap the Maxxis tires from the TT until I realized they were LR D and the 5er has LR E. I hope to get good service from the Castle Rocks like TitanMike because I’d like to defer replacing them for at least a year. I’ll scale the rig after we’ve loaded it up and see if the tires are anywhere near their weight rating. If they are I’ll replace them earlier.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #22

I read enough horror stories on these pages to convince me to dump my "Blow Maxes" for a set of Michelin XPS's. Never left the yard till I made the switch. I just made the decision I didn't want even the risk of tread separation or a blowout on my new trailer. Titan Mike you have made the choice to take that chance, I decided not to. What recommendation would I make to anyone else? Take the chance if you want to. I choose not to risk it. The problem is a "known fact". It's possible it won't happen, but it's also possible it will. I choose to minimize the possibility.

Just a note, there was a good 40 pound weight difference between the BM's and the Michelins. Steel belted sidewalls on Michelins etc.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
They are bad enough that Jayco will no longer use them...and I was personally told it was because there were too many problems. Jayco switched to Goodyear Endurance.
Lance and Outdoor RV products couldn't get enough of those awesome Castle Rock tires so they had to resort to putting on the Goodyear Endurance as well.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Lance and Outdoor RV products couldn't get enough of those awesome Castle Rock tires so they had to resort to putting on the Goodyear Endurance as well.
You guys are placing those companies up on a higher pedestal than they deserve.

They are just some of the first to do that...

All of the discussion on most RV forums over the last five years or so is making the RV manufacturer's switch to better tires.

As they deplete their stocks of the China bomb tires or wait for their tire contracts to run out, I think we'll see most, if not all of the towable RV's come with better tires on them.

However, they will probably make up that cost difference in other ways...most likely more QC issues than what we are already experiencing.

What amazes me to no end is that RV dealerships never mention or even offer tire upgrades as an add-on purchase to the RV's.

And, being a sales person myself (not RV's), I'm guessing that they are afraid of loosing the sale (or at best having to toss them in for free to save the sale) by asking the customer if they would like to upgrade from the cheapies.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

However, they will probably make up that cost difference in other ways...most likely more QC issues than what we are already experiencing.
Or by just adding the extra expense (plus mfr markup) to the cost of the units.

People are paying more and more for RV's than ever before. I doubt they'd notice an extra $500 in the cost due to a change from $50 Chinese tires to $100 + plus Goodyear's. Who knows, they may just upgrade and minimize cost increase by squeezing the supplier more. Known fact that the cost of a trailer load of tires is a lot lower than "just a set of four" (per tire).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Or by just adding the extra expense (plus mfr markup) to the cost of the units.

People are paying more and more for RV's than ever before. I doubt they'd notice an extra $500 in the cost due to a change from $50 Chinese tires to $100 + plus Goodyear's. Who knows, they may just upgrade and minimize cost increase by squeezing the supplier more. Known fact that the cost of a trailer load of tires is a lot lower than "just a set of four" (per tire).
Yes...

But in this age of internet shopping for the absolute lowest price possible, the profit margins are pretty slim for everyone involved.

We see it here in the chats every single day!

People pitting dealer against dealer to save $100 bucks, or by blackmailing a local dealer with a price from another online dealer 2000 miles away just to get the cheapest price possible.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:50 PM   #27

Quote:

They are just some of the first to do that...

I don't understand what you mean ...The only pedestal I put them on is giving them credit for their actions. They recognized a problem, made a change and were among the first to do so. What 'over credit' is given in your mind?

Not that the cost isn't passed on to the consumer but there is no question in my mind they would rather buy a less expensive tire.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Those 2 companies also make their own frames for the very same reason.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #29

Titan Mike I'm glad you didn't fall for the YOU must buy new tires for your new trailer. I didn't either. My Castle Rocks have over 9100 miles on them the past two winters. I keep 303 Protectant on them. They are covered all the time while sitting in one place, and they are always near max pressure. My tires have never lost any air even while sitting for months at a time. I check them all the time before heading out and never go over 65MPH and they are rated for 75 MPH. All tires could fail for any reason. I would not pay much attention to anything 67L48 says I think he just trolls on here trying to mess with others posts. Not much help.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper70 View Post
I keep 303 Protectant on them
They will have nice pretty sidewalls when the tread separates!
Old 02-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #31

This entire debate is driven by one basic variable, and that is manufacturing consistency. Tire manufacturing is a volume business, the more units per hour equals more money being made. Mass production practices unfortunately don't play well with one very important process, quality control, and that is where the policies of a particular factory come into play. U.S. based plants in general take more steps monitoring the manufacturing processes and that typically results in a more consistent level of quality. Overseas factories are even more volume driven (hence their popularity) and QA tends to take a back seat, so the resulting product can vary greatly. That's why some folks have no problems with Castle Rock or similar brands, they just came out ahead on the luck of the draw. Others don't get such good results. The tighter control of MOST domestically made tires, like the Endurance, simply up the odds of not getting a defective product.
My $.02, nothing more.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Yes...

But in this age of internet shopping for the absolute lowest price possible, the profit margins are pretty slim for everyone involved.

We see it here in the chats every single day!

People pitting dealer against dealer to save $100 bucks, or by blackmailing a local dealer with a price from another online dealer 2000 miles away just to get the cheapest price possible.
I wouldn't worry about the Dealer's losing money. The RV business, just like the automotive, tire, and any other business that sells large manufactured items has all kinds of hidden revenue sources for the Dealer. Volume bonuses, special buying prices, dating terms (so they don't have to borrow money to floor product), etc. They'll all show you the "Invoice" and how badly they're getting screwed in the deal but ask them about annual volume bonuses and the other considerations given from the factory and suddenly they have "Alzheimer's".

In the tire industry large tire dealers will sell tires for "cost" according to the published "distributor" price sheets. They then bank their AVB (Annual Volume Bonus) checks as profit. Add to that the Service revenue and they won't need to eat Alpo when they retire.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 02-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Marty, did you buy your Rockwood used? To my knowledge, the factory has never installed Maxxis tires.
Yes sir. Purchased new with Maxxis tires. The tires would lose a few pounds every hundred miles or so but I stayed on top of that. When I saw the dry rot cracks though I bailed on them within a week.

Marty
Old 02-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
This entire debate is driven by one basic variable, and that is manufacturing consistency. Tire manufacturing is a volume business, the more units per hour equals more money being made. Mass production practices unfortunately don't play well with one very important process, quality control, and that is where the policies of a particular factory come into play. U.S. based plants in general take more steps monitoring the manufacturing processes and that typically results in a more consistent level of quality. Overseas factories are even more volume driven (hence their popularity) and QA tends to take a back seat, so the resulting product can vary greatly. That's why some folks have no problems with Castle Rock or similar brands, they just came out ahead on the luck of the draw. Others don't get such good results. The tighter control of MOST domestically made tires, like the Endurance, simply up the odds of not getting a defective product.
My $.02, nothing more.
Not likely if the factory is ISO9001 certified.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 02-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Not likely if the factory is ISO9001 certified.
LOL....ISO 9001 is a joke. One of the places where I worked got certified. Didn't really change much about how we built an inspected things but we got to tell customers we were certified!
Old 02-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Those 2 companies also make their own frames for the very same reason.
Just curious but if those companies make superior trailers, using superior components, why don't you own one of them instead of an "inferior" FR product?

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 02-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Just curious but if those companies make superior trailers, using superior components, why don't you own one of them instead of an "inferior" FR product?
Because I added a Morryde suspension and welded on structural members to account for some known issues with the Lippert frame.

The FR is an inferior product to both of those if you compare quality. For the most part, it's not a safety issue like driving on chinese tires which you seem to think is ok.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I don't understand what you mean ...The only pedestal I put them on is giving them credit for their actions. They recognized a problem, made a change and were among the first to do so. What 'over credit' is given in your mind?

Not that the cost isn't passed on to the consumer but there is no question in my mind they would rather buy a less expensive tire.
If they actually could buy less expensive tires.

Since last September there has been a huge tariff on Chinese mfr'd tires. 35% makes a big difference in costs to a manufacturer. The impact won't be fully realized until warehoused stocks of chinese built tires are depleted but the price gap is a lot narrower than it used to be. Could even be nothing when OE pricing practices are taken into consideration. For all practical purposes a Goodyear Endurance tire could actually cost companies like Forest River less than what the chinese tires would with the tariff applied and delivery volumes taken into consideration.

What would be interesting in watching is whether the RV manufacturer's brag about using Made in USA Goodyear tires or not.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 02-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Since last September there has been a huge tariff on Chinese mfr'd tires. 35% makes a big difference in costs to a manufacturer.
BTW..it's 10% set to go up to 25% soon.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #40

Quote:
If they actually could buy less expensive tires.

Since last September there has been a huge tariff on Chinese mfr'd tires. 35% makes a big difference in costs to a manufacturer. The impact won't be fully realized until warehoused stocks of chinese built tires are depleted but the price gap is a lot narrower than it used to be. Could even be nothing when OE pricing practices are taken into consideration. For all practical purposes a Goodyear Endurance tire could actually cost companies like Forest River less than what the chinese tires would with the tariff applied and delivery volumes taken into consideration.

What would be interesting in watching is whether the RV manufacturer's brag about using Made in USA Goodyear tires or not.
The companies in question switched before any of this had any influence.

Tags
tire, tires