Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #61
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
5picker and NMWildcat, I totally understand what you're saying. I sometimes wonder if the tires may have experienced a significant impact that caused damage during transport to the dealer where you bought the trailer. That might explain how you didn't abuse the tires but they failed anyway. The damage may have been inflicted before you took possession. Of course it might have just been poor quality control at the factory, too. Who knows.
That certainly could be a possibility.

Really, unless one were to pick up their R/V directly at the manufacturer, we have no way of knowing what might have happened... but... in my case, I put between 7-8k miles on them (several 2k trips) and about 18 months went by before three of the four failed. If it was road hazard damage during initial transport, it sure took a long time to surface so I'm going to say not in my case.

Again, I started the initial Castle Rock thread here way back in the day because I had never heard of them and had not seen anything posted about them on any forum. When we took possession of the R/V, I was anal about checking the date codes and the sidewalls for bruises and immediately bought a TPMS because there was no prior data to fall back on from anyone so I decided to be a guinea pig.

All was well... until it wasn't... and over the course of the last several years there have been enough reports of failure that if I had that data when I first took delivery, I would have immediately replaced them right there and then.

That is my saga... YMMV.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Remember, if a company builds a million tires, and they have a failure rate of 1% that's 10,000 tires. A failure rate of 1% is pretty good in any industry and chances are the actual rate is less.

Since companies don't share these numbers (except with NHTSA when requested/demanded) again I hold that nobody here really knows how good or bad any given tire is.
However we can make some educated guesses. The RVIA claims that 10 million households own a RV. Let's say half of them are motorhomes, sit on a permanent site or only go up to the local lakes 3 times a year. Assume the other half does 1000 miles/year on the road. That's 5m x 4 tires x 1000 miles = 20B miles travelled by the tires. If 100000 tires fail in a year (which is close to one every 5 minutes) that's 5 failures per million miles travelled. Not stellar but far from "everybody will experience a failure".
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #63
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGerman View Post
However we can make some educated guesses. The RVIA claims that 10 million households own a RV. Let's say half of them are motorhomes, sit on a permanent site or only go up to the local lakes 3 times a year. Assume the other half does 1000 miles/year on the road. That's 5m x 4 tires x 1000 miles = 20B miles travelled by the tires. If 100000 tires fail in a year (which is close to one every 5 minutes) that's 5 failures per million miles travelled. Not stellar but far from "everybody will experience a failure".
That sure is a lot of comfort for those sitting along the side of the highway with a flat tire and a ripped up camper in 105 degree heat for several hours waiting for roadside assistance that may or may not come in a timely fashion.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
That sure is a lot of comfort for those sitting along the side of the highway with a flat tire and a ripped up camper in 105 degree heat for several hours waiting for roadside assistance that may or may not come in a timely fashion.
I don't know about modern day drivers but when I started driving in the late 1950's it was pretty much a given that you carried a spare, jack, and lug wrench so you could change your own tires.

Today I carry a 20T hydraulic jack (bigger base for more stability on soft surfaces), a 4-way lug wrench, and because I'm really lazy an electric impact wrench I can run from my generator. I even carry a tire plug kit (which I hate) to plug a nail hole and a 12 v powered compressor. This way I have a good chance of making it to "civilization" and a tire store, even if I have two flats. Hopefully my TPMS will give me warning I have a pressure loss from a puncture and I don't run the tire flat until it comes apart like on most trailers I've seen.

If one can't change their own tire then they are at the mercy of "Roadside Assistance" and even the best tires made can be victims of road hazards (Nails, car parts, sharp rocks, giant potholes, etc).

BTW, to the "community" in general, "When's the last time you checked your spare tire?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #65
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I can change my own tires...

I just choose not to put myself in harms way along the side of the highway if I were ever to have a trailer flat.

I also have TPMS on both my truck and 5'ver.

I also prefer not to carry around a big heavy floor jack when on the road.

I carried it for 15 years in my first camper and never once needed it.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I can change my own tires...

I just choose not to put myself in harms way along the side of the highway if I were ever to have a trailer flat.

I also have TPMS on both my truck and 5'ver.

I also prefer not to carry around a big heavy floor jack when on the road.

I carried it for 15 years in my first camper and never once needed it.
That's the #1 benefit of carrying the jack and tools. When you have them the chance of needing them is GREATLY reduced.

As for "roadside risk", just sitting there waiting for assistance is a risk. Even greater the longer you sit there. I've had two flats in 40 years and changed them both by putting out my warning devices, changing the tire, and getting on with my travels. People changed lanes and gave me plenty of room.

To each their own.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #67

Quote:
After reading all the posts about how bad these tires are I had my heart set on replacing them with some Goodyear Endurance's. Figured I'd do this as soon as the first issue showed up with the OE Castle Rocks.

Drove the trailer home in July 2017 but didn't really get to use it for 9 months as I took time out for a Heart Attack and Bypass Surgery. Starting in April 2018 I basically hit the road for varying length trips. Shortest 200 miles, longest 4,000 miles (X2).

Here I sit with around 15,000 miles on those darn Castle Rock tires and the darn things aren't even showing signs of wear. I installed a TST 507 TPMS system and they don't even loose air pressure.

Looks like I'm stuck with them for at least another 15,000 miles or more unless they suddenly start to wear more.

Maybe I need to overload the trailer or run the tires under-inflated so I can have them fail and I can get my new Goodyears

I’ve had the same “problem” with mine! Goodyear will have to wait a couple more years to get my money....(knock on wood)
bpa556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #68

Same here, always maintained my tires as specified. Check pressures, visual inspection, on every departure, kept covered at all times, stay within weight parameters, travel speeds observed, etc. yet still experienced my first blow out. Just purchased and activated my TST monitor system in Quartsite at the "Big Tent" drove a few hundred miles to Tucson and boom! Thanks a lot Forest River for your use of quality Castle Rock "crap". Put on 4 new Carlisle HDs, love them so far.
bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Since this thread has already gone awry let me hijack it as well. I have Maxxis tires that are kept in an enclosed cover, never seeing sunlight when stored. 62 mph max when towing and always properly inflated. They will be 5 years old in June with less than 10,00 miles on them. Should I replace them now before the season starts or do they have life left in them?
We changed our Maxxis tires after only 3 years, but they had 25,000 miles on them, including some seriously challenging gravel roads in Alaska and the Yukon (Top of the World Highway and Dempster Highway) and in Labrador/Quebec. The tread actually still looked excellent, but I figured I had already experienced all the luck I could expect from them.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #70

What psi do you run? I am new to all this. We made a 4000 mile round trip last year with my 22rr which is supposed to be around 5000 lbs and had a 1000 lb at in it half the trip. I ran 50 lb cold pressure in the China tires and no problems. Checked them for heat when stopped and all was well. Seems like I see most are running much higher pressure
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #71
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thearcher01 View Post
What psi do you run? I am new to all this. We made a 4000 mile round trip last year with my 22rr which is supposed to be around 5000 lbs and had a 1000 lb at in it half the trip. I ran 50 lb cold pressure in the China tires and no problems. Checked them for heat when stopped and all was well. Seems like I see most are running much higher pressure
For ST trailer tires always use the max. pressure indicated on the sidewalls.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
For ST trailer tires always use the max. pressure indicated on the sidewalls.
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trail...nflation-chart
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #73

Rolling the dice

Those castlerock tires are great till they’re not. Mine also showed no signs of wear before failing catastrophically. Caused $1700 damage to the side of my 2 year old Salem Hemisphere.

I’d recommend changing all 4 plus the spare.
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire057 View Post
Those castlerock tires are great till they’re not. Mine also showed no signs of wear before failing catastrophically. Caused $1700 damage to the side of my 2 year old Salem Hemisphere.

I’d recommend changing all 4 plus the spare.
Same happened to me just last week. My TPMS never showed any indication of any problems at all then boom! Damage to my Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8298WS still to be determined after insurance quote! So dang mad at Forest River right now for using inferior tires because my warranty just expired the middle of December! Have only used my new fiver for one trip before this happened!!
bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #75

Quote:
After reading all the posts about how bad these tires are I had my heart set on replacing them with some Goodyear Endurance's. Figured I'd do this as soon as the first issue showed up with the OE Castle Rocks.

Drove the trailer home in July 2017 but didn't really get to use it for 9 months as I took time out for a Heart Attack and Bypass Surgery. Starting in April 2018 I basically hit the road for varying length trips. Shortest 200 miles, longest 4,000 miles (X2).

Here I sit with around 15,000 miles on those darn Castle Rock tires and the darn things aren't even showing signs of wear. I installed a TST 507 TPMS system and they don't even loose air pressure.

Looks like I'm stuck with them for at least another 15,000 miles or more unless they suddenly start to wear more.

Maybe I need to overload the trailer or run the tires under-inflated so I can have them fail and I can get my new Goodyears
Well you're the lucky one that's for sure. As soon as I bought our tt 38 footer I put the TPMS on my Castle Rocks, maintained psi religiously rarely ever got over 65, proper loading of both tt and puller. Dang, you wouldn't believe at 2600 miles two of the four came apart on trip out West from Tennessee WITHOUT WARNING, and guess what - the spare had started separating and it had never been on the ground, darn thing must have been abused somewhere along the way. Well good luck and keep on Rocking. Love my Goodyear Endurance tires - Pease of Mind is GREAT.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 PM   #76

Castle Rock steel belt separating. Always inflated correctly, 55 to 62mph. 10,100 miles on tires 2 years old. I happen to notice this while stopped for lunch after a 2 hr drive from Borrego Springs to Temecula. Nice that it was Saturday and Americas Tire was 1 mile away with Goodyears in stock. 4 hrs later we were headed North on I-15. I was planning on replacing spring/summer. In this case I was LUCKY!
Tommohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #77

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #78

Going on 4 years with my Castle Rock China bombs. No problems yet. Keep them inflated, check them regularly for wear and go on. I'll replace them with Goodyear or something similar. I think a lot of trouble comes from people not paying attention and driving way to fast. Speed equals heat, heat kills.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #79

It's all personally preference. I had Castles going to Look out Mountain Georgia which was 1400 miles round trip and did not care for them.

Researched here and other places and the Good Years kept coming up. I looked at them and liked the stronger sidewalls and speed rating. Spend the money and put them on.

Did a run 200 miles away and back home. I noticed a big difference but still did not care for the "feel" of the trailer. Researched here some and came back with get LT tires for the diesel and dump the passenger tires. Did that also.

3000 mile to Red River and back through Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa and OK. and Texas and felt next to to nothing.

Also a 1800 mile trip to Dauphin Island Alabama and pulled really nice.

I use a WDH and anti sway bar. But the tires made a huge difference.

Now you can never exactly replicate the previous driving experience but I did carry the same weight and went on very windy days with heavy traffic running the freeway through open fields and through forests for that 200 mile run.

Wife noticed a big difference too as she did alot driving to N.M. and Bama.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #80

China Bombs

We just replaced our "China Bombs" after 14,000 mi and no issues. Replacing as we are heading for AK in May and didn't want to chance on such a long trip.
Begging to think all this talk about these tires could be "bad rap" on these tires. The Boys
The Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires