Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #121
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rinaldi View Post
I have 2014 Forestriver Flagstaff 26RLS No real tire issues in 19,500 miles (1 flat from a nail--fixed--fine) It has Westlake super ST tires, a brand I've never heard of. The tread is quite good with no apparent dry rot. What it DOES have is somewhat rounded shoulders (outer edge) which I've assumed was because of the way "rubber axles" turn in (or out) on tight maneuvering. I'm considering new tires before a 6,000 mile trip in 2020. A ny comments or logical opinions? Bill Rinaldi
2014 RV may have 2013 tires. You failed to provide the most important bit of info the DOT Serial date
At 5 to 6 years age I would recommend replacing them. Have you read your FR owner's manual on tires?
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 12:50 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rinaldi View Post
I have 2014 Forestriver Flagstaff 26RLS No real tire issues in 19,500 miles (1 flat from a nail--fixed--fine) It has Westlake super ST tires, a brand I've never heard of. The tread is quite good with no apparent dry rot. What it DOES have is somewhat rounded shoulders (outer edge) which I've assumed was because of the way "rubber axles" turn in (or out) on tight maneuvering. I'm considering new tires before a 6,000 mile trip in 2020. A ny comments or logical opinions? Bill Rinaldi
Bill,
IMHO you are one of the lucky ones. You may have good luck with China made tires but I will never go back to them. I recommend Goodyear Endurance tires. They are a little pricey but I think peace of mind makes it worth it. I think Carlisle makes some good tires too. Discount Tires calls both the Goodyear and Carlisles as their "Best" tires. The China made tires all fall in the "Good" category. They rate their tires as Good, Better, and Best.
Good luck and be safe.
Previously owned: 2014 Vengeance 25V, 2011 KZ 184,
2011 DIY 7 x 14 Enclosed Trailer,
Motorcycle pull behind cargo trailer with tent
smitty31093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #123
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

My experience with Discount Tire is that they will recommend as the best tire whatever they happen to have on the racks in the back room.

Same for Big 'O' Tire shops...

And they seem to rarely ever have the real good trailer tires in stock...

Doesn't matter whether it really is a good tire or not.

I listen to the guys at the axle shops and the truck repair shops!

They are the ones that know good tires from bad...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #124
Canadian Member

My experience with Discount Tire was that they shipped older tires. Make sure whom ever you order from has newer tires.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Trailer tires are free rolling and it's normal for slight edge wear to form after the miles pile up. Also normal if similar wear forms on both sides of circumferential grooves in the tire tread.

Keep them inflated, inspect regularly, follow weight limit and max speed spec on tire, you've probably have more miles left.

Don't overlook a regular "jacked up wheel" inspection where you can look for any possible tread separation. These show up as slight bulging in one area of the tread as you rotate the unloaded wheel.

I personally like to replace tires when tread is half worn. MOST tire failures occur in the last 50% of tread depth whether separation or puncture. If the spare has never been on the ground, use its tread depth for starting depth. As an example, if you start with 9/32nds tread depth the 50% point is just over 4/32nds. Of that 2/32nds is the legal minimum. To me it's not worth the risk of a failure or reduced wet pavement traction to try and squeeze the last 1/16" of wear out of any tire. I replace car, truck, and trailer tires at 50% wear.

Might run longer on a commercial rig but those tires are a whole different animal.
I only replace my TV tires when you can see the air in there. LOL
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #126

China Bombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
My experience with Discount Tire was that they shipped older tires. Make sure whom ever you order from has newer tires.
I always check the date of manufacture on all tires before I buy. The tires I got from Discount Tire were not on the rack. They did have some "good" tires in stock but I specifically wanted the Goodyear Endurance tires. I told them to have the warehouse check the mfg date. All tires have a date stamped in the side wall. The DOT date identifies week and year of mfg. The tires were only 2 months old so I ordered them. I double checked the mfg date before the tires were mounted on my trailer. I would never buy tires that were over a year old.
Some people say you don't need to balance tires on a trailer. This may be ok on some trailers but I don't think it is wise on a TT or 5er.
Previously owned: 2014 Vengeance 25V, 2011 KZ 184,
2011 DIY 7 x 14 Enclosed Trailer,
Motorcycle pull behind cargo trailer with tent
smitty31093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #127

I am a member of several forums, I research everything I can before I buy. I can honestly say one thing, if you used all the information you find in forums as part of your research you would never buy anything. Let's just use a few examples. When buying a RV never buy China bomb tires, they will explode your first time out. Never buy a Ford diesel the head bolts will fail with in the first 6 months. Never buy a Dodge diesel the transmission will fail. I can keep going on but when ever you look at forums you will find that most of the posters are there just to post their issues and complaints. The ones that are out enjoying their purchase are enjoying them. There is a lot of good information in many of these forums, you just have to weed out the bad and look at the useful information.
Boris0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris0119 View Post
I am a member of several forums, I research everything I can before I buy. I can honestly say one thing, if you used all the information you find in forums as part of your research you would never buy anything. Let's just use a few examples. When buying a RV never buy China bomb tires, they will explode your first time out. Never buy a Ford diesel the head bolts will fail with in the first 6 months. Never buy a Dodge diesel the transmission will fail. I can keep going on but when ever you look at forums you will find that most of the posters are there just to post their issues and complaints. The ones that are out enjoying their purchase are enjoying them. There is a lot of good information in many of these forums, you just have to weed out the bad and look at the useful information.
You are correct, it's human nature to piss and moan but you get nothing but crickets when you are looking for praise and appreciation.
Ask any cop.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #129

Even Goodyears have their problems

After a long search we found the 2019 Forest River Windjammer we wanted. I have been reading all the forums on Castle Rock tires aka "China Bombs". I pulled our new purchase from Houston back home to Fort Worth and then promptly to the tire store to change out for Goodyear Endurance all around.
We have made one trip to Kentucky to visit family and back. Total mileage on tires to this point less than 2000. Went out yesterday to take the grandkids to the lake for a couple days. Low tire on rear passenger side of trailer. I tried to air it up but wouldn't hold. Closer inspection found a hole on the side wall!
Took it off, back to store. "Oh you rubbed a curb". Really? The sidewall gives up with a rubbed curb? There was no great amount of damage here. Yes it looked rubbed but not bad.
I did replace it with another Goodyear. Chalking this up to bad luck. I truly hope that I won't have this again.
You just never know for sure. Nothing is guaranteed 100%.
You all stay safe out there. Check those tires EVERY time you pull out.
GMitchell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #130
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMitchell2 View Post
After a long search we found the 2019 Forest River Windjammer we wanted. I have been reading all the forums on Castle Rock tires aka "China Bombs". I pulled our new purchase from Houston back home to Fort Worth and then promptly to the tire store to change out for Goodyear Endurance all around.
We have made one trip to Kentucky to visit family and back. Total mileage on tires to this point less than 2000. Went out yesterday to take the grandkids to the lake for a couple days. Low tire on rear passenger side of trailer. I tried to air it up but wouldn't hold. Closer inspection found a hole on the side wall!
Took it off, back to store. "Oh you rubbed a curb". Really? The sidewall gives up with a rubbed curb? There was no great amount of damage here. Yes it looked rubbed but not bad.
I did replace it with another Goodyear. Chalking this up to bad luck. I truly hope that I won't have this again.

Yes, really.

For enough damage to be done to a sidewall for a hole, you can't say no great amount of damage was done. That damage is pretty catastrophic to a tire's integrity.

Can't really blame the tire for user error.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #131

I agree with you 5picker. For a hole to be in the sidewall I expected to see a great deal more damage. I wish I had taken a picture. My point is more that just because you run Goodyear or whatever brand, damage can and is done. Keep a close check on your tires and be safe.
GMitchell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes, really.

For enough damage to be done to a sidewall for a hole, you can't say no great amount of damage was done. That damage is pretty catastrophic to a tire's integrity.

Can't really blame the tire for user error.

Sidewall damage on a tire can be a lot like a bullet hole in a piece of wood.
A nice, small hole where it goes in. On the back side a large splintered hole many times the size of the entrance.

Only difference on a tire is that often the small point of injury doesn't leave a noticeable hole, maybe not even a penetration, but when you look at the inside the body plies are severely torn creating a relatively huge injury.

The most common cause of sidewall injury that I witness frequently is then someone towing a trailer is turning into a gas station or parking lot. They turn in with the tow vehicle like they always do but don't take into consideration that they have a trailer behind. When it's the trailer's turn to "enter" one or both wheels hit the end of the curb just before the driveway begins.

Solution? Do what the big truck drivers do. Move over as far as possible in your lane (Left side for Right turn, Right side for Left Turn) and aim for the farthest spot in the driveway ramp. Then enter slowly, watching in the rear view mirror to see if the tire(s) on the trailer will clear. If not, then go S-L-O-W. This at least cuts the force of impact and lessens chance of damage.

Realize that the actual failure in the tire rarely occurs right at or immediately after the time of injury. The tire can fail at any time it chooses after the damage was done. This often causes the owner to think it "just blew" as they forgot the time they hit a huge pothole, hit a curb, ran over a chunk of road debris, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:21 PM   #133

China Bomb Tires

We've been trailer travelling for over 20 years. Never had ANY tire problems until 2 days ago. Castle Rock tires manufactured about 2 years ago. About 10,000 miles and no signs of wear. The entire tread peeled off of 1 of the tires. It beat the heck out the rear panel on our 8288 Rockwood Signature 5th wheel. I went straight to American (Discount) tire and replace them all with new Hartland tires, which I have used on other trailers.
Mark Laybourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #134

Castle Rock Tire Bombs

I read down the thread about "making our own luck" which honestly ticked me off. That person has to be a paid troll on here to post some nonsense like that.

We have a brand new 2021 5th wheel which came with these garbage tires on it. Just last week one of them exploded on us and tore up the side of our unit. To boot it blew out in an area with no shoulder and no mobile service with any carrier. So as cars are brushing by me at ridiculous high speeds here I am trying to change the tire. One lady literally rubbed my rear end as she blew by me. Then when I went to put on the replacement tire I found another one of these GEMs on the opposite side of the trailer with two bulges on the side wall.

That's OUTRAGEOUS and completely UNSAFE for everyone on the road!

These people should be ashamed of themselves for putting this crap out there on the highway. I was fortunate that I was not going fast, less than 40 mph when this thing exploded. I was also fortunate to have found the other one before it also exploded. These tires are defective Chinese Garbage and Forest River needs to stop putting them on units immediately.

I will be in contact with Forest River and with the tire manufacturer and I will be firm. I will be cordial but in no uncertain terms troll you will not downplay the seriousness of this situation. This is such a huge safety issue it must be addressed.
terrystech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #135
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrystech View Post
I read down the thread about "making our own luck" which honestly ticked me off. That person has to be a paid troll on here to post some nonsense like that.

We have a brand new 2021 5th wheel which came with these garbage tires on it. Just last week one of them exploded on us and tore up the side of our unit. To boot it blew out in an area with no shoulder and no mobile service with any carrier. So as cars are brushing by me at ridiculous high speeds here I am trying to change the tire. One lady literally rubbed my rear end as she blew by me. Then when I went to put on the replacement tire I found another one of these GEMs on the opposite side of the trailer with two bulges on the side wall.

These people should be ashamed of themselves for putting this crap out there on the highway. I was fortunate that I was not going fast, less than 40 mph when this thing exploded. I was also fortunate to have found the other one before it also exploded. These tires are defective Chinese Garbage and Forest River needs to stop putting them on units immediately.

I will be in contact with Forest River and with the tire manufacturer and I will be firm. I will be cordial but in no uncertain terms troll you will not downplay the seriousness of this situation. This is such a huge safety issue it must be addressed.

Wondering if you have pictures showing the "Bulges"? Also pictures of the failed tire? Along with FR you can file a complaint with NHTSA as with enough complaints with the data they need (full DOT serial and VIN of the RV)
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #136

I had one blow last week. Had hardly been used and I had it fully inflated and only drive 60 mph when towing. I am replacing all 4 with Goodyear endurance. They are hard to find but easytires.com had some in stock.
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #137
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrystech View Post

Welcome to the forum.

If you do a search for “china bomb” here you’ll have years of reading that will include folks who had big and small failures and those who got 5 years or more out of so-called China bombs.

I did replace brand new LR-E Castle Rock tires on my 5er because of their reputation. They seemed fine when I took the trailer in to have them replaced with LR-E Goodyear Endurance tires. The Goodyears are a much beefier tire than the OEM Castle Rocks so I’m happy I spent the money but there are no guarantees with any tire.

I’ve always said Asian companies will build whatever the buyer wants - good or poor quality. Apple products are made in China and are renown for good quality as are Maxxis M8008 ST trailer tires which are made in Thailand. American-made is no guarantee of quality. As with anything, its buyer beware and do your research.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:36 PM   #138

China Bomb tires

I just replace my Castle Rock tires this spring with Goodyear endurance tires. It made a big difference in towing my trailer, a lot less sway in heavy winds and when a semi passes me, I don't have to white knuckle the steering wheel. I will say this much for the China bombs, I got 4 years out of them with no problems, but I kept the air pressures at 65 psi. The endurance are more plys with 80 psi. I'm very pleased with these tires.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:20 PM   #139

Quote:
You can purchase what is called road hazard insurance to cover that kind of damage... perhaps it is something that you should consider.
You can't really blame the failure on Goodyear when the tire is hit on a curb or pothole edge...
"no great amount of damage here"... you said, BUT CERTAINLY enough to poke a hole in the sidewall which can never be fixed.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 09:26 PM   #140

We have a trip planned in a few weeks with several friends who own their own rigs. During a discussion we all had we figured it was a good idea to all check the tires etc due to it being a few hour trip. Three different rigs were found to have broken belts in the factory tires which are Castle Rocks. We were all fortunate to find these issues during inspection at home and not while on the road. I was also lucky to find a local shop with a set of 4 GY Endurance Tires in stock which I had put on. My point is, make sure you inspect your rig to avoid any possible hazards. Yes I know some are unavoidable unfortunately and give no early warning. Safe travels everyone.

PS. My tires had under 2000 miles on them. Manufacturing date on the tires, January 2018.
HemiHemi19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires