Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #21

We have a Garmin NuviCam. Dashcam and GPS all in one. 6" screen, voice command, great resolution in dash cam, lane guidance, magnetic mount, etc. Pricey but we've had it 2 years and it works great.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Buying a dash cam isn't the issue for me, it is getting on that downloading nd viewing the video is. I have two Garmins and they produce great video but they are next to impossible for me to view the video. with Garmin's you must use their Dash Cam player to view it I would love to be able to just put the memory card into my computer and view it but not with the Garmin's
There are computer programs that will play almost any video file. One very good one is VLC and it is free.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #23

I'm using a Viofo A119S. With a 128mb memory chip, I get about 7 hours of recording. I got the 119 instead of the 129 version because I didn't want a rear facing camera. Video plays fine on my Windows 10 laptop. Can hardly see it from outside - mounted on passenger side of rear view mirror.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I'm using a Viofo A119S. With a 128mb memory chip, I get about 7 hours of recording. I got the 119 instead of the 129 version because I didn't want a rear facing camera. Video plays fine on my Windows 10 laptop. Can hardly see it from outside - mounted on passenger side of rear view mirror.
128mb isn't much at all you sure you don't mean: GB?
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #25

We are considering a dash cam as well. We ran into this article that may get you familiar with the choices.

https://www.newegg.com/insider/dash-...NAZ21haWwuY29t
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #26

I have an iPhone 5 that is becoming outdated. I found some dash cam apps that may have value. I downloaded a free one today but didn’t have time to try it yet mainly because I have to devise a mount for it.

Also, can anyone recommend a mount for a go pro that will have the camera pointing in the right direction with a sloped windshield?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:57 PM   #27

Very satisfied with my blackvue
whaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 PM   #28

Talking My Dashcam

I picked up the 70MAI dashcam from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/70mai-Dashboa...gateway&sr=8-4

It is small and works really well. Note that you use your smart phone to view the pics and video. It also uses voice commands.

I also drive through DC traffic, it can be brutal.
bblake57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #29

I use a GoPro Session. Works great. I just took a mounting plate and stuck it to the ridge above the windshield so the camera mount is upside down. Make sure it’s in an area the wipers clean.

On a side note: I have three exterior mounts as well for the Jeep. It makes for awesome overlanding footage.
Savannahdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:19 AM   #30

I like the "V" shaped cameras that easily mount behind the rear view and easily hide the power wires to the fuse box. Less for thieves to target if they can't see it or it looks like it is built into the vehicle.

IMHO, a camera is nearly useless if it doesn't have GPS on board. My first camera required a separate antenna, but that became moot after I dropped it and it was out of warranty. I now have a Rexxing in my car with a rear camera, which was a pain to run, due to the length and complication of running the rear camera in an SUV, required a USB extension and rigging on the rear hatch. My rear camera is not HD and has a limited field of view, and opening and closing the hatch will sooner or later compromise the USB extension.

The camera did pay for itself after a similar accident that you are describing, in which I violated a personal defensive rule to try to never stay in someone else's blind spot. In my defense, I was concerned about loose items blowing around on a flatbed to my left. She'd had the car for two days and was too young to have learned how to set her mirrors correctly. Her Insurance was pi$$y until I posted the video to Youtube and shared it with them and the Investigating Officer.

Be aware that having GPS on your camera can alter your driving style when you realise that now you will have a mute witness to your own driving, especially if you become incapacitated in any accident.

I've recently put a Roav branded camera in my wife's vehicle. It has no rear camera, but video can be downloaded via wifi, if you need it rapidly. Also, if you have a 12v that turns off with the vehicle (we have Honda's) the parking monitor will record any incidents that move the car. It is pretty easy to use.
Roav products are what Anker calls their products designed for automotive applications, I believe.

Here is a link to the ROAV DASH Cam S1 via Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Dashcam-Das...t-items&sr=1-3
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I am sure there are many here who use a dash cam, and I am looking for one right now, but there are so many to pick from with a huge difference in price and capabilities, I just don’t know what to buy.
Bruce

Just browse through Amazon........get a $20-30 one.

If you are unsatisfied, move up.

It's not that big a deal.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #32

I am a retired LEO and a Professional Investigator. I have been using the Garmin Dash Cam 55. I have used it in court on cases and the video is amazing. You cannot go wrong with this camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bundle...gateway&sr=8-5
www.RickRootPI.com
rhr572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #33

I have a roav duo. Comes with a nice power cable that plugs into odb2 port. I have had numerous cams, the type with internal batteries will fail, especially in summer when dash temps go way up, you want something with a capacitor instead. I witnessed a fatality accident last year and my battery dash cam (3rd one) failed. My first thought after doing my part to assist in accident was glad I caught it on the cam to give to police for evidence against drunk driver, only to learn I hadn’t. Have had no issues with my duo in a few months, an will see how it handles a Hot SW summer.
gazelleTT is offline   Reply With Quote